• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Mobile Charger trips GFCI outlet (110) and do I need a 50 AMP GFCI circuit for Ford Mobile 240 charging?

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
Tried some charging with the Ford Mobile Charger and discovered that when plugged into a 110V GFCI outlet - the GFCI tripped. When I plugged it into a 110V (no GFCI) I was able to Charge my Lightning EF Lariat without issue. Does anyone else have this issue? Should I stay away from GFCI circuits?

Also - are there known issues plugging in the mobile charger to a 240V 50 AMP GFCI circuit (which is recommended by Ford?)

I know the 48A and 80 AMPEV L2 charger installation says not to have a GFCI circuit - as it is built into the charger.

I will be installing the Ford Charge Station Pro when shipped to me.

Thanks
Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
GFCI with 120v -- I don't know. The mobile unit has GFI in it, I think. So no need to worry about using a standard circuit. 120v charging a Lightning is horrid though.

Ford Mobile EVSE allows charging at 30A. Into a 40A or 50A 240v outlet there is no problem. 240v GFCI circuits are rare as heck. Only used with EVSE and perhaps the occasional pool or hot-tub. Ford "recommends" them, because NEC code now says the 240v plug used for EVSE needs to be GFCI. This NEC rule is NOT because the EVSE needs GFI. That is built it. Its because un-informed folks could pull out the 240V plug before disconnecting the J1772 plug. This will result in a nice little ball of electrical arc if the vehicle is actually charging. A lot more danger than just a 120v plug pulled while under load.

I didn't really answer either of your questions, but perhaps a bit helpful.

The Ford mobile unit really sucks by the way -- unable to derate to 24A, which would be so useful for folks that can find a 30A dryer circuit (need 80% derate for cont duty to 24A). But the Ford unit is $500 boat anchor. Sorry to be so negative. Portable units need to be programable -- whole purpose of portable is that you don't know what kind of power you are going to find......

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve used mine on both voltages with GFCI without problem.

OP
OP
itdwebman

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GFCI with 120v -- I don't know. The mobile unit has GFI in it, I think. So no need to worry about using a standard circuit. 120v charging a Lightning is horrid though.

Ford Mobile EVSE allows charging at 30A. Into a 40A or 50A 240v outlet there is no problem. 240v GFCI circuits are rare as heck. Only used with EVSE and perhaps the occasional pool or hot-tub. Ford "recommends" them, because NEC code now says the 240v plug used for EVSE needs to be GFCI. This NEC rule is NOT because the EVSE needs GFI. That is built it. Its because un-informed folks could pull out the 240V plug before disconnecting the J1772 plug. This will result in a nice little ball of electrical arc if the vehicle is actually charging. A lot more danger than just a 120v plug pulled while under load.

I didn't really answer either of your questions, but perhaps a bit helpful.

The Ford mobile unit really sucks by the way -- unable to derate to 24A, which would be so useful for folks that can find a 30A dryer circuit (need 80% derate for cont duty to 24A). But the Ford unit is $500 boat anchor. Sorry to be so negative. Portable units need to be programable -- whole purpose of portable is that you don't know what kind of power you are going to find......
This is most helpful - sounds like I do not need the GFCI breaker for the 50AMP Outlet. I got the Mobile Charger as there will be times I will not be near an EV charger.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Hmm - thanks for the feedback. Interesting.
Your GFCI outlet might be troublesome / over sensitive, might consider swapping it.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
GFCI outlets can be finicky. some time ago with our lake house..... oh ever mind the details. THEY ARE FINICKY!

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
This is most helpful - sounds like I do not need the GFCI breaker for the 50AMP Outlet. I got the Mobile Charger as there will be times I will not be near an EV charger.
There needs to be more recognition that if you are ordering a truck or have the option, then the deleting the Ford mobile charger is a wise choice. Far more flexible units are out there for much less money. $500 buys a lot of other far more capable and linked EVSE. I bet Ford makes about $350 for every one sold.....

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Check your GFCI outlet. It is most likely the problem, not the mobile charger. I’ve used mine with GFCI outlets and it worked fine. If it turns out to be a problem with the mobile charger, remember that it is covered under the 3 yr/ 36 month warranty of your truck.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You may not "need" the GFCI breaker for the 14-50 receptacle, but code could require it to be installed.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You may not "need" the GFCI breaker for the 14-50 receptacle, but code could require it to be installed.
I think that requirement started with the 2020 NEC.

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
GFCI's will need replaced after so long due to increased sensitivity.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
A 14-50 GFCI is not required by code if the outlet is intended for RV usage But it is required if intended for EVSE usage. All my 14-50 outlets were installed for RV usage. Before plugging it unplugging I turn off the outlet with the nearby breaker. I never plug or unplug with outlet being live.

One exception are my hot tub and pool pump 50 amp services. Those are protected by a 50 amp GFCI breakers.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A 14-50 GFCI is not required by code if the outlet is intended for RV usage But it is required if intended for EVSE usage. All my 14-50 outlets were installed for RV usage. Before plugging it unplugging I turn off the outlet with the nearby breaker. I never plug or unplug with outlet being live.

One exception are my hot tub and pool pump 50 amp services. Those are protected by a 50 amp GFCI breakers.
That’s not true if your state has adopted NEC 2020 or later. Prior to 2020, GFCI was only required if the 14-50 served an EVSE. As of 2020, the only exceptions are for receptacle outlets serving dryers or cooking equipment that is fastened in place.

OP
OP
itdwebman

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all for your info - the best source of "real" information anywhere around. I asked my electrician for a GFCI breaker only because Ford recommended it. It is not code where it will be installed. I likely will ask that the GFCI 50amp breaker be switched out with a standard 50 AMP breaker to avoid any "issues".

I chose to include this Mobile Charger in my build - but fully understand that it might not be the best and is not configurable via APP like other chargers.
Sponsored