• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The Lightning and towing with a “half-ton”

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Just thinking about the Lightning and its ability to tow heavy trailers.

A few years ago we would have called a 6500-lb truck with 2000 pounds of payload and >700 lb-ft of torque a “3/4 ton diesel.”

Range limitations aside, I think the Lightning will perform very well.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Agree, the EV motors with the high torque output on both axles will be great to tow heavy trailers.
I remember talking to my transportation mechanics at work and they said not to get a ICE 1/2 ton for a camper trailer I was looking at - they said 3/4 ton gas or diesel.

Now I wonder what they will say when I get the LIghtning...

However, knowing how the batteries deplete quickly under load is another matter.

I would guess that the LIghtning battery will behave like my PHEV which sucks the battery dry whenever the climate controls are turned on (heat), accelerating over hills, and jack rabbit starts.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Agree, the EV motors with the high torque output on both axles will be great to tow heavy trailers.
I remember talking to my transportation mechanics at work and they said not to get a ICE 1/2 ton for a camper trailer I was looking at - they said 3/4 ton gas or diesel.

However, knowing how the batteries deplete quickly under load is another matter.

I would guess that the LIghtning battery will behave like my PHEV which sucks the battery dry whenever the climate controls are turned on (heat), accelerating over hills, and jack rabbit starts.
Part of the concern is that a traditional ICE 1/2 ton does not weigh enough to control a heavy trailer. The other issue is braking. I think both of these are not an issue on the Lightning but am looking forward to hearing from experts on this topic.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Part of the concern is that a traditional ICE 1/2 ton does not weigh enough to control a heavy trailer. The other issue is braking. I think both of these are not an issue on the Lightning but am looking forward to hearing from experts on this topic.
Since the Lightning weighs more than a conventional 1/2 ton I don't think weight is an issue. I came away very impressed from the ford towing demo. The Lightning towed a 5500lb box trailer with no problems at all. It felt very stable, couldn't even tell the trailer was attached.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Does anyone know if the Lightning has Trailer Brake Control (TBC) on the 7 pins ?

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Does anyone know if the Lightning has Trailer Brake Control (TBC) on the 7 pins ?
Currently, the integrated trailer brake controller is listed as part of the 'tow technology package' and is listed as being optional on every trim but platinum. This was what was released at the Pro trim reveal so it is subject to change.

two wheels

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Ford Escape, Honda Accord

I don't tow with my pick up, but I was a truck driver in an earlier life. Different, I know. I think it depends in large part what you consider "heavy". As one person speaks to, it seemed to tow 5000lbs well. I don't think 5000lbs is anywhere near heavy. I think getting around 10,000 lbs is probably closer to heavy. You really shouldn't be thinking about getting even close to max capacity in any areas. Always remember, those trailer weights are probably dry weight. You will be adding a lot more weight on there. Braking is super important. You also want a stable chassis to avoid wagging the dog (the dog is you in the truck). That can get ugly, quickly. Just my opinion. If you're thinking you may get to the 10,000lbs area, then you probably do want to consider a 3/4. A 3/4 is a pretty big jump in a lot of areas, regarding towing. Best bet is to speak to people who tow on a regular basis. They have a real good idea. 5000lbs in this Lightning would probably be fine and more than capable (my guess). You never wanna try and rush when towing. Super bad idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Easycamper

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My point is that the Lightning is much closer to what a 3/4 ton was a few years ago than it is to a regular F-150. 10,000 lbs in the Lightning should be similar to a 3/4 ton experience.

I’ve been towing an 8500-lb fifth wheel with my 2015 F-150 for 4 years. Bought both from my truck driver brother-in-law. He started towing the trailer with an early 2000’s Ram Cummins then traded it for the F-150.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
My point is that the Lightning is much closer to what a 3/4 ton was a few years ago than it is to a regular F-150. 10,000 lbs in the Lightning should be similar to a 3/4 ton experience.

I’ve been towing an 8500-lb fifth wheel with my 2015 F-150 for 4 years. Bought both from my truck driver brother-in-law. He started towing the trailer with an early 2000’s Ram Cummins then traded it for the F-150.
Agree - the Lightning should be able to tow like a 3/4 ton for sure due the extra weight and dual motors with instant low end torque.

Wonder how it would do with a truck camper I have always dreamt about getting for a full sized truck:
Ford F-150 Lightning The Lightning and towing with a “half-ton” Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 9.08.10 AM

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Range is going to get murdered with a slide in camper, possibly worse than a trailer; since the trailer is already in the turbulent wake behind the truck. The BEV Ford Transit will inform better the range impacts of a large frontal area.

With the extra weight and IRS, I would guess Lightning will tow similarly to a Ford Expedition or even a fully loaded Lincoln Navigator. Only with a lot more acceleration from the accelerator pedal.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Agree - the Lightning should be able to tow like a 3/4 ton for sure due the extra weight and dual motors with instant low end torque.

Wonder how it would do with a truck camper I have always dreamt about getting for a full sized truck:
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 9.08.10 AM.png
The lightest Lance slide-in has a dry weight of 1700 pounds so the pictured camper likely doesn't work with the lightning's 2000 pound max payload (or less with the ER battery and some options).
I read an article about a Canadian company that had developed a trailer that adds payload by adding a counterweighted axle through a weight distribution hitch but I can't find it now. Seemed like a reasonable way to get around the payload constraints with slide-in campers.

OP
OP
Easycamper

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 855s would be too much for the Lightning. Looks like the only camper Lance makes for <6ft beds is the 650.

Ford F-150 Lightning The Lightning and towing with a “half-ton” D0384773-163A-4B6B-9AAA-997DD80D2078
Sponsored