• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2024 Tacoma EV + ICE previews, info, development & schedule

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The sad fact is that by 2024 the 2022 Lightning will probably look like a steal. Prices aren’t going anywhere but up.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Toyota is totally mailing it in.

"Guys, we need a new EV truck like now, but we spent the past 10 years procrastinating. What do we do?"

"How about painting the grill and throwing in some batteries from the Prius?"

"Ok, sounds good."
I disagree. Toyota tends to be a very smart group of people. May not always be first out of the gate, BUT they do their best to put out the best product.

I loved my Taco. That and my '07 4Runner were the best danged vehicles I've owned. I'd be quite interested in an eTaco. The rest of their hybrid/EV lineup is pretty stellar.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I disagree. Toyota tends to be a very smart group of people. May not always be first out of the gate, BUT they do their best to put out the best product.

I loved my Taco. That and my '07 4Runner were the best danged vehicles I've owned. I'd be quite interested in an eTaco. The rest of their hybrid/EV lineup is pretty stellar.
The bZ4X is their only EV and many believe it’s subpar. I think that’s what people are basing their opinion on. Toyota is putting far less effort into leading in the EV category. GM, Ford, BMW, Hyundai and Tesla are far ahead. That doesn’t mean the Tacoma will be bad but Toyota’s track record on EVs is sketchy so far.

Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
The bZ4X is their only EV and many believe it’s subpar. I think that’s what people are basing their opinion on. Toyota is putting far less effort into leading in the EV category. GM, Ford, BMW, Hyundai and Tesla are far ahead. That doesn’t mean the Tacoma will be bad but Toyota’s track record on EVs is sketchy so far.
Certainly. Tesla makes 4 models. GM currently makes 2. Ford makes 3. BMW makes 2 currently (they used to make the beast i8 which still gets my juices flowing - but still only made 20,000 of them.)

This based on my brief web search. To say Toyota is behind the 8 ball is a bit of obfuscation.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

After I wrote my previous comment, I realized Ford did the same thing with the Lightning: new grill, Mach-E batteries (okay, not really), and retrofit existing ICE platform. :whistle: Still, Ford made a good, capable EV with great performance and range. A '98 Tacoma was my first truck and it was pretty good to me. Like most people, I'll be watching to see how good Toyota's EV version of the Tacoma is when it arrives, but their track record for EVs is currently really weak compared to everyone except the other Japanese marques.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Toyota will be fine, but if I was them I'd be particularly worried about the Korean mfgs. They've been consistently gaining ground in public perception and reliability. EVs are an opportunity for them to jump ahead of the Japanese companies. Toyota could become the new Oldsmobile and all of a sudden their average buyer is 60.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
bZ4X is under performed, slow charging, less range options, no Frunk, plus, Toyota is running out of $7500 tax credit.

Don't see any reason to buy it.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
We will see a hybrid (non-plug in)Tacoma well before we see a full EV one.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
bZ4X is under performed, slow charging, less range options, no Frunk, plus, Toyota is running out of $7500 tax credit.

Don't see any reason to buy it.
Why not get a Subaru solterra if you are looking at the Toyota? Tax credit and essential the same car (probably a different user interface). Either way...why but it?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Why not get a Subaru solterra if you are looking at the Toyota? Tax credit and essential the same car (probably a different user interface). Either way...why but it?
No I am not looking at Toyota. I am just asking why people want to buy it.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
No I am not looking at Toyota. I am just asking why people want to buy it.
It's an EV??? It is less expensive (by a little bit) than a mach e, EV6, ionic5, etron. It's not a Chevy bolt (which wasn't that bad and now is quite inexpensive new compared to other EVs if you can find one) How available is it? I don't know and am not looking for one. But if I was looking that way, it would be the Subaru, not its Toyota twin that I would go home with.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
It's an EV??? It is less expensive (by a little bit) than a mach e, EV6, ionic5, etron. It's not a Chevy bolt (which wasn't that bad and now is quite inexpensive new compared to other EVs if you can find one) How available is it? I don't know and am not looking for one. But if I was looking that way, it would be the Subaru, not its Toyota twin that I would go home with.
Less expensive (before $7500), looks like that's the only reason :)

No I am not trolling Toyota, I have a Prius Prime and like it. Toyota was/is just retard on EV. They are Nokia of the EV, and bZ4X is too little and too late.
Sponsored