• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Being asked to stop and chat about the Lightning

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
You should also note some dealers did this, some dealers did not so its not exactly correct to characterize it as a "ton".
I said "allowed" dealers to do this. I didn't say they ALL did it, or did it to the maximum possible amount.

Either way, even if only half of dealers did it and only did it for a median number of slots (1500 dealers x 10 prioritizations), that would be the whole first year's production worth of people skipping the line.

Furthermore, whether dealers did it or not, Ford was fine with allowing a TON of people to skip the line, and made it officially allowable, so the perception of them being fine with people cutting the line is accurate. And further to my point of bad communication, there are many dealers who won't communicate to people where they are in line, or purposely give bad info, so many people have little reason to believe their dealer is giving them accurate info and hasn't let a bunch of people jump in front of them.

So, many people who haven't been invited yet have the feeling that they might have gotten bumped by dealer prioritization.
Sponsored

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
I get asked about the Lightning almost daily, and don't mind it at all tbh.

I think of it as an honour to be amongst the first to receive one, and am happy to share any and all info I can. There's no better way to promote these trucks, or even EV's in general!

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
It's nothing like the first few months of driving Tesla Model S (2012) or X (2016), where people were swerving all around me on the Interstate so they could get pictures of it... or when I'd come out of a store and find 15-20 people standing around, looking at it.

To the non-trained eye, it looks like just another Ford truck, Ford has done a great job with changing grilles every year, so it just blends in. I get two types of people asking me questions -- the ones who have been following Lightning and may even have a reservation themselves, and the people who notice something slightly different (or watch me put something in the frunk).

The first group already knows the basic stuff about it and they just want to know how I got one, how it rides, what am I seeing for range, etc. The second group is asking all the usual questions - how far does it go, how fast does it charge, what do you do when you want to go on a trip, etc.

I don't mind it, I'm used to it from the Tesla experience.

kenfaber62

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford f150 STX
Occupation
retired
How specifically did you remove the "LIGHTNING" lettering from the rear sides of the truck? I would like to do the same, but I'll just leave the "T" on both sides - I just don't want to scar up my truck when I do it.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I've had my truck for 5 weeks, just over 2k miles. Only 4 encounters:

1. Guy in a grocery store parking lot recognized it and asked me how I liked it and how much it was.
2. Lady in a grocery store parking lot saw me loading groceries into the frunk and was flipped out (in a good way).
3. Talked to a Nikola driver at an EA station.
4. Guy in a Wendy's tripped over the curb looking at it.

I kinda like that it flies under the radar as a special truck.

Sponsored

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
My wife as well, and she will not take kindly to people asking how much it is :LOL:, she finds things like that very rude and may take people walking up to her as a threat, could get ugly šŸ¤­
The only thing she could probably answer is how it rides.

I have a Mach E and sometimes if she's waiting outside the store for me people would come up and pepper her with these same questions. She would say I don't know, ask my husband. :ROFLMAO:

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Iā€™ve had questions (esp at charge stations) and thumbs-up (on the road), but nothing rude or awkward - especially nothing about pricing.

Perhaps there are some regional or other differences at play here, as these ā€œawkwardā€ interactions do not seem universal.

Separately, Iā€™d just like to inject: for any high-demand low-volume specialty vehicle of the past 3-5 years, from any legitimate manufacturer, I think a reality check is in order regarding whether any such vehicle has been distributed remotely on a first-reservation/first-served basis.

If Fordā€™s made any central mistake, itā€™s over-estimating itā€™s customers understanding of what a ā€œreservationā€ means. Too many people, apparently, incorrectly believed it to be something like pulling a number at a deli counter. Despite the fact the entire sign-up was riddled with ā€œa reservation is not an order, we donā€™t have to give you any truck in any configuration, at any price, at any time - just like *you* arenā€™t even committing to us that youā€™ll buy it if we do.ā€

Nobody can get ā€œskippedā€ in line, if there is no line.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
If Fordā€™s made any central mistake, itā€™s over-estimating itā€™s customers understanding of what a ā€œreservationā€ means. Too many people, apparently, incorrectly believed it to be something like pulling a number at a deli counter. Despite the fact the entire sign-up was riddled with ā€œa reservation is not an order, we donā€™t have to give you any truck in any configuration, at any price, at any time - just like *you* arenā€™t even committing to us that youā€™ll buy it if we do.ā€

No one reasonably ever believed that deliveries would happen in the exact order of reservation timestamp, but there absolutely are lines at each dealer. There are lines with numbered positions. Those positions, by default, are determined by reservation timestamp. People literally got moved to the front of that line despite later reservation timestamps. It's VERY clearly spelled out in the dealer playbook.

So, there's no one perfect line, but there absolutely are lines, and they're determined by reservation timestamp, by default. AND Ford let people skip those lines.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
There were lines within each dealer. Dealers had the option to reprioritize orders in December 2021 and that allowed people to skip the line within a dealership.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
So, there's no one perfect line, but there absolutely are lines, and they're determined by reservation timestamp, by default. AND Ford let people skip those lines.
just saying, seems like semantics to me.

you can choose to say ā€œthere is a line, and ford let people skipā€ but it describes the exact same outcome as instead saying ā€œthe ā€˜lineā€™ was only ever what Ford determined it to beā€

Letā€™s put it instead in terms more familiar: college admissions

Submitting an application, doesnā€™t guarantee admission.

Submitting your application early, *might* mean your application is read sooner, but doesnā€™t related to decision timing.

Applicantsthat apply later than you, may get admitted before you.

Whether your application is ever accepted depends not only on how many people are accepted before you, but also how many of those people commit to attend, and if there is still room after that they might circle back to your application.

And donā€™t forget, there are *Legacy* applicants whose grandfatherā€™s names are on plaques outsides buildings they donated to the university - and the world spins in that direction.

So then, that analogy laid out: is there a ā€œlineā€ that colleges are ā€œskipping,ā€ or is the ā€œlineā€ā€˜only ever what the colleges decide it to be?

Both answers are true, but one seems more ā€¦ realistic.

And look, I hate to for a moment appear to speak on behalf of a car dealership, but Iā€™ve seen these issues in other contexts (luxury watches, etc.): if you are a dealership that has customers who spend $1M/year in automobiles with you, and Ford doesnā€™t allow you as a dealership to reflect that customerā€™s importance in the delivery schedule, then Ford is f*cking itā€™s #1 customer (dealers) and itā€™s #2 customer (people buying tons of cars).

ā€œhaloā€ product reservations are an application to purchase, not a deli counter ticket

thatā€™s just one persons view, which in this instance happens to square pretty well with the facts

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
just saying, seems like semantics to me.
There's zero ambiguity regarding priority within a dealership. The earliest reservation timestamp gets called first unless the dealer decider to manually reprioritize.

Allocations between dealerships depend in a bunch of factors including overall dealer volume, region and CARB requirements.
This does not affect prioritization within a dealership.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
There's zero ambiguity regarding priority within a dealership. The earliest reservation timestamp gets called first unless the dealer decider to manually reprioritize.
All sounded convincing until your ā€œunlessā€

That the dealer can reprioritize is part of the rule book, not a violation of the rules

I feel like Iā€™m taking crazy pills ;)

Let me describe to you the rules of a board game weā€™re all going to play together tonight as a family after supper - it has only 4 rules:

(1) daddy (the dealer) is the ā€œgame-masterā€
(2) subject to rule (3) below, other family memberā€™s turn to play goes counter-clockwise around the table
(3) the game-master can choose to instead have turns go in order of their favorite family members
(4) youā€™re not guaranteed to be a favorite family member

Now itā€™s after dinner, the gameā€™s begun, and game-master says ā€œmommy goes first,ā€ and youā€™re not mommy.

And from your booster seat, you yell, ā€œBUT THE GAME RULES SAY PLAY GOES COUNTER-CLOCKWISEā€

No they donā€™t - youā€™re missing a comma and an all-important ā€œunlessā€

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
No one reasonably ever believed that deliveries would happen in the exact order of reservation timestamp, but there absolutely are lines at each dealer. There are lines with numbered positions. Those positions, by default, are determined by reservation timestamp. People literally got moved to the front of that line despite later reservation timestamps. It's VERY clearly spelled out in the dealer playbook.

Obviously you thought a reservation meant something that it did not. Its was really up to Ford to interpret how to best execute, balancing the needs of mass production and the issue of fairness.

Lets be honest, if Ford truly wanted to be 100% fair they would have zero dealer allocations and would send vehicles 1 for 1 to order holders(in the trim they wanted) to the location the customer was located. So if the first 100 customers all wanted PROs and were located in Iowa they would send to Iowa.

However then dealers would complain about how one dealer got 50 f150 Lightnings to sell(with the dealer cut of profits) and people would be like why is there no lightings around my location, etc. Lets face it, thats not good for Ford--either for possible ZEV incentives or for media/public attention.

Thats to say nothing of the supply headaches it would cause and I can imagine it would cause issues with transportation and scheduling. Things would slow way, way, down. (Rivian is finding this out the hard way).

I can see why you're upset and why it doesn't seem fair, but I don't think fairness was ever going to occur and with demand far outpacing supply this is a problem not easily solved.

It goes way beyond Ford giving dealers priority.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
Let me describe to you the rules of a board game weā€™re all going to play together tonight as a family after supper.
Pedanticism does not make your argument more convincing.

All of these facts are true:
1. The list was prioritized in order or reservation time stamp.
2. Dealers had a defined period during which to reprioritize a limited number of orders in December 2021.
3. If dealers did not take advantage of the orders, customers received order invites completely based on timestamp within the dealerships queue
Sponsored