• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Ford's problem is not building a specific model of car or truck for profit at scale. They can handle that part of their business just fine.
Nor is their problem developing an EV that buyers can be happy with if they buy it. The Lightning gets pretty good reviews by those who own it. The E-transit is also a well-executed EV for its market segment. The Mach-E while not the best product in its segment, is at least in the game.

The problem is on the sales side. Ford and their dealers are not all-in on selling EVs.

Very few business problems cannot be solved by more sales.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
If Toyota or someone else can truly come up with an affordable, durable 600-mile+ battery, that will solve the EV vs. ICE conundrum. Otherwise, the range of a Toyota Camry PHEV is 673/700 city/highway miles. No range anxiety worries there.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Can't put a gas station in my back yard...

about a month or two from divesting myself of most of the rest of our ICE vehicles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Article: "You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars" IMG_9055 (3).JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Article: "You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars" IMG_0008.PNG

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I think if the conversation starts out with how much you would save at the Gas Station it would be different.
"The gas station is offering a special, half off gas, but only 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank at a time, and you have to wait back in the corner of the parking lot for ~18 minutes on slow pumps."

All of them would take that deal.

Sponsored

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
I know of one problem that increased sales won’t fix. The one where you lose money with every one you sell
Don’t forget the real reason that they are making electric vehicles. 1978 bailout of Chrysler requires fuel efficiency standards. EVs are counted more in helping ICE vehicles meet the CAFE standards. Per Reuters, “the NHTSA estimates automakers will pay $294 million …for 2019” Lots of money being spent in penalties and Ford would rather sell electric vehicles than add the penalty onto the price of new models.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I know of one problem that increased sales won’t fix. The one where you lose money with every one you sell.
The factory, tooling, design, and entire organization that makes the trucks costs way more than the materials and labor in each truck. The more you make, the better the economies of scale.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
If Toyota or someone else can truly come up with an affordable, durable 600-mile+ battery, that will solve the EV vs. ICE conundrum. Otherwise, the range of a Toyota Camry PHEV is 673/700 city/highway miles. No range anxiety worries there.
Same applies if Toyota can truly come up with an affordable, durable cold fusion powered vehicle that will solve the cold fusion vs. ICE conundrum. :whistle:

For the 600-mile range, I guess these folks will go crazy with UTIs and be crippled or die with deep vein thrombosis before they can feel secure enough to drive their 600-mile range without stopping for ten minutes the one or two times a year they actually drive over 150 miles (in -40º weather). Others, who truly need something like a 1 mi/kWh tow hog–will find an ample ICE-centered choices for the foreseeable future.
Sponsored