• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why Are So Many Public EV Chargers Broken?

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
This video shines a light on the sad state of DCFC.

Sponsored

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I saw this video this morning! A great summary of the problem. In an ideal world some of these companies would react to being called out by WSJ like this but I'm not so confident.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Nice video. It shows a lot of improvement is needed in both the hardware and software side.

I wonder how many of these communications issues are going to migrate to the Supercharger system when they try talking to more than one manufacturer.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
One issue that wasn't covered is the remoteness of many locations. When a charging station is located in the middle of nowhere, it may take a long while to get a repair tech to the station; there is a higher likelihood of network issues; and electricity supply may be less reliable. All this is exaggerated by the fact that the drivers' nerves may be frayed if they know that the nearest alternative charger is 50-100 miles away.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
Nice video. It shows a lot of improvement is needed in both the hardware and software side is needed.

I wonder how many of these communications issues are going to migrate to the Supercharger system when they try talking to more than one manufacturer.
One fresh problem will be the charging port location on non-Teslas. For people towing, the set up of most chargers is already a problem.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The WSJ video is pretty good. It simplifies the issues for many to understand.

She didn't get into the "we can't get parts" or "we have no available techs".

I love how they have 30 charging location to pick from. Try that anywhere else.

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Mach E Premium AWD
Nice video.

She didn't include the problem I encountered too often on my cross-country trips - chargers only supplying a small fraction of their advertised output. One EA site in Wisconsin had four charge stations, all functioning, but none providing more than 30kw (I tried all of them). I charged just long enough to get to another site on the other side of town.

At another problematic site (three of us waiting to use one functioning EA charger) I learned from a local painter (driving a Lightning Pro!) that the service tech lived 130 miles away, and had a separate full-time job.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
it is a good analysis. I commented to her about something else I wish a good journalist would explore. I pointed out something that is overlooked about the Inflation Reduction Act that promised a lot of money for fast charger installations. The Justice40 initiative (google it) is an executive order by Biden that applies to the IRA . The Justice40 intiative requires that 40% of grants/subsidies be used in "disadvantaged neighborhoods". Justice40 means almost none of that money will get spent at all because a DC fast charger in a "disadvantaged neighborhood" will never make any money, and would be a waste of it, hence no one's going to take up the offer.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I would think that rural areas would qualify as "disadvantaged" over most of the country. Those are the areas that are most in need of DCFC. Folks in cities all charge at home.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It's a fair video and fact focused. Range anxiety is real and if you have it, that video is compelling evidence to either buy ICE, a hybrid or wait a few more years before giving BEV's another chance.

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I would think that rural areas would qualify as "disadvantaged" over most of the country. Those are the areas that are most in need of DCFC. Folks in cities all charge at home.
good point, but DC fast chargers are aimed at folks who are traveling to or through an area. I guess it depends on what qualifies an area to be "disadvantaged".

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
This video shines a light on the sad state of DCFC.

The question was: Why are so many public chargers broken.

#1 answer is: They bought the wrong chargers. For example, Electrify America doesn't
make their own stations. They buy from 3rd parties. Ditto most of the others.

#2 answer is: They didn't buy "white label" charging stations from Tesla.
They should have. If you are buying your child gear for their sports team,
do you go to Walmart and buy those items from the sale bin?

Reactions: cal

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
Does anyone know why there are not more charging locations installed at gas stations? There is a couple in the southern plains at Buckeyes etc and they are very convenient. Seems like it would be a good idea to expand in this way.
also a great deal of the complexity comes from network issues related to payment, that’s why it’s so much easier to charge at home or at a campground.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know why there are not more charging locations installed at gas stations? There is a couple in the southern plains at Buckeyes etc and they are very convenient. Seems like it would be a good idea to expand in this way.
also a great deal of the complexity comes from network issues related to payment, that’s why it’s so much easier to charge at home or at a campground.
Instead of gas stations, I'm confused why a fast food company hasn't partnered with EA or EVgo to install chargers at locations by interstates.

You can only poke around the rows of junk food so much in a gas station waiting 30 to 40 minutes for a charge, but you can sit down for something to eat in a restaurant.
Sponsored