• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How many times does Lightning strike?

The Rogue Robot

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Paper pusher
Today it was three!

Dunnigan,CA. Sadly EA is having issues and this site is completely uncommunicative with their network. No charging for any of us today here.
Ford F-150 Lightning How many times does Lightning strike? C4D9FC55-666E-4C33-BDF1-5D9CA6CBF6D7

unfortunately for us that meant finding a J1772 nearby to get a few more miles, and two more charges to get a full speed DCFC. All said and done it added a couple hours to our trip.
Sponsored

DroopyHippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
None of these folks are me however I stopped there twice over the last couple of days traveling to and from Redding. Small world.

OP
OP
The Rogue Robot

The Rogue Robot

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Paper pusher
None of these folks are me however I stopped there twice over the last couple of days traveling to and from Redding. Small world.
Hopefully the units worked for you.

DroopyHippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Hopefully the units worked for you.
Only #3 worked well at the time. On one stop I couldn't get that one and instead opted to head to Williams Walmart which had good chargers. There's a ChargePoint at the Chevron near the freeway in Dunnigan but that too had a fault - 1 of 5 chargers worked well.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Very nice!!

EA is full of lip service, if only Ford would just ask Tesla for help in starting their own network. This is pathetic and why we will always need an ICE vehicle in the garage for long trips.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Rogue Robot

The Rogue Robot

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Paper pusher
Very nice!!

EA is full of lip service, if only Ford would just ask Tesla for help in starting their own network. This is pathetic and why we will always need an ICE vehicle in the garage for long trips.
I think EA is experiencing some pretty extreme growing pains at the moment. I know DCFC EVSE aren’t cheap, and the older units are dying too quickly.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think EA is experiencing some pretty extreme growing pains at the moment. I know DCFC EVSE aren’t cheap, and the older units are dying too quickly.
I believe they have a couple of choices, one of those is like the suggestion that Ford work something out with Tesla. EA could easily just have Tesla design and install everything with J1172 and stamp their EA Logo on it, or go out of business when Tesla starts allowing non Teslas to start charging on their network.

For me at least ChargePoint has been much easier to use than EA at this point although they have the same issue with station being down all the time. Part of the issue is they have Third party contractors repair these station instead of having their own station service centers answering calls.

OP
OP
The Rogue Robot

The Rogue Robot

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Paper pusher
I believe they have a couple of choices, one of those is like the suggestion that Ford work something out with Tesla. EA could easily just have Tesla design and install everything with J1172 and stamp their EA Logo on it, or go out of business when Tesla starts allowing non Teslas to start charging on their network.

For me at least ChargePoint has been much easier to use than EA at this point although they have the same issue with station being down all the time. Part of the issue is they have Third party contractors repair these station instead of having their own station service centers answering calls.
I have other issues with CP. they claim to have the largest charging network, but in my experience so many of the claimed units are dead and haven’t worked in years. CP doesn’t see it as an issue, but when they have their name plastered in 500 point font on the unit, people see chargepoint as the problem, not the owner who bought the unit.

CP needs to change up their business model and make sure that their units are operational.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I have other issues with CP. they claim to have the largest charging network, but in my experience so many of the claimed units are dead and haven’t worked in years. CP doesn’t see it as an issue, but when they have their name plastered in 500 point font on the unit, people see chargepoint as the problem, not the owner who bought the unit.

CP needs to change up their business model and make sure that their units are operational.
BTW, EVgo just added the Mach-E and Lightning to their “AutoCharge” Plus. Basically the Tesla Experience, I’ll have to try it out.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/2...plug-charge-capabilities-with-autocharge/amp/

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
BTW, EVgo just added the Mach-E and Lightning to their “AutoCharge” Plus. Basically the Tesla Experience, I’ll have to try it out.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/2...plug-charge-capabilities-with-autocharge/amp/
let’s not get ahead of ourselves :ROFLMAO: - the “Tesla experience” is having chargers around every corner, all of them fast, all of them working (many with waiting lines!), and then being able to plug-and-charge

The non-Tesla charge network is an embarrassment and abomination.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
let’s not get ahead of ourselves :ROFLMAO: - the “Tesla experience” is having chargers around every corner, all of them fast, all of them working (many with waiting lines!), and then being able to plug-and-charge

The non-Tesla charge network is an embarrassment and abomination.
It is, but just being able to plug and charge is a good first step. Charging speeds and whether the charger works or not is a different story and one will see a lot of these networks go Bankrupt.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Very nice!!

Ford should have just offered Tesla a couple hundred bucks per EV they build to get the network open and we would have all won.

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Very nice!!

EA is VW and only there because the US govt forced VW to build an electric network as an “agreement” to resolve the emissions and mileage deception by VW. There needs to be some US govt follow on to cause VW to maintain their network.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Very nice!!

Oh geez, not this crap again.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Oh geez, not this crap again.
It hurts to know Ford has produced a pretty good truck but didn't give a crap about your charging experience.
Sponsored