• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning / EV calculator

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I love cookies

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning / EV calculator cookie-cookie-monster
Sponsored

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Made some changes:
  • Added cookie storage, so now capacity and degradation is stored and remembered on your device
    • Downside to this is if your browser upgrades or something, it'll be lost, but not too big a deal.
    • This also removed the capacity bookmarked in the URL feature, that query string is just ignored now.
  • Added a catch-all "degradation" to the calculation, clicking/tapping the question mark will give some explanation and suggestions
  • Added multiple results, now you have Distance to 0, 10% and 20% so you can be more aware of when you need to find that next charger.
  • Changed the yellow/red highlighting at low DT0 to be in line with the 10% and 20%
Still intend to add the other method of entering efficiency (kWh/100km)

https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Made some changes:
  • Added cookie storage, so now capacity and degradation is stored and remembered on your device
    • Downside to this is if your browser upgrades or something, it'll be lost, but not too big a deal.
    • This also removed the capacity bookmarked in the URL feature, that query string is just ignored now.
  • Added a catch-all "degradation" to the calculation, clicking/tapping the question mark will give some explanation and suggestions
  • Added multiple results, now you have Distance to 0, 10% and 20% so you can be more aware of when you need to find that next charger.
  • Changed the yellow/red highlighting at low DT0 to be in line with the 10% and 20%
Still intend to add the other method of entering efficiency (kWh/100km)

https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Thanks for doing this. I wonder if there is a typo in your instructions on the reduction for F150L " For my F150L I start the drop off at 70% so really only need to nock 21% off which means 73%". Should the 70% you reference read 70F?

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Thanks for doing this. I wonder if there is a typo in your instructions on the reduction for F150L " For my F150L I start the drop off at 70% so really only need to nock 21% off which means 73%". Should the 70% you reference read 70F?
You are 100% correct there. 70-90F is the temp range. I will correct that, thank you for catching it.

Sponsored

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I built this tonight. Super basic at the moment. I'll make it better over time. I started with a DTE calculator. Let me know what other calculators I should add.

https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev/
great calculator! How do we calculate DTE along our route since it will always be changing the closer you get to your destination?

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Your link is great but how can you find out the battery SOH?
A dealer service can run a test that will tell it to you, but if you click the question mark I included a bit of a guide. Effectively it's 100-(2*years of service) to get your base. If it's over 90F subtract another 1% for every 10F over 90, if it's under 70F subtract 3% for every 4F below 70.

great calculator! How do we calculate DTE along our route since it will always be changing the closer you get to your destination?
DTE is how long until you run out of juice in the battery, once you have the degradation figured out, you have to use the sliders to update your current SOC, and your current efficiency. For current efficiency you can use the "this trip" if you've stayed mostly flat. Maybe you just hit flat land after coming down a mountain, I would recommend using either trip 1 or trip 2, reset it, give it about 5 mins to re-establish your current efficiency and plug that into the calculator.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I think some people are overthinking this, or expecting this calculator to do things it can't do. Based on experience driving the truck, you should know what your miles per kwh is for various typical conditions. It does not take long or a bunch of effort to figure this out, since it is displayed on the trip computer screens for your delight. This calculator is not going to magically know what your route is, what the terrain is like, how fast you drive, etc. You as the owner and driver need to pay attention and learn how your truck drives.

I know 1.9 mi/kwh is what my 120 mile round trip commute on mostly highway going 65-78mph in the winter (30-45 degrees). The math checks out. Normal charging to 80% of 131kwh is 105kwh. Which is 199 miles at an average of 1.0mi/kwh. I should get home with about 80 miles remaining after my 120 mile commute, and that is exactly what I get home with.

So I just put 1.9 in the calculator for mi/kwh field and all the math works there too. Now you can adjust that up or down based on what you estimate an upcoming trip will run you. But that is for you to GUESS in advance.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Effectively it's 100-(2*years of service) to get your base. If it's over 90F subtract another 1% for every 10F over 90, if it's under 70F subtract 3% for every 4F below 70.
This math actually checks out, but it is a little convoluted because it assume you always use 2.44 mi/kwh in the calculation. 100% SOH and 100% SOC is 130kwh which is 320 miles, which is 2.44 mi/kwh. At 40 degrees, the SOH would be 78%, and then charging to 80% would get you 81kwh available. At the fixed multiplier of 2.44 mi/kwh, that's 199 miles range which is identical to what I currently get in reality.

The convoluted part is the trip computer and gauges doesn't show it this way. It shows you 1.9mi/kwh rather than derating the available battery percentage. Probably because people would lose their minds if they actually saw the illustration of reduced capacity.

If the calculator could be configured to punch in a temperature, and keep the mi/kwh at 2.44, that would let you make a pretty accurate calculation based on temperature. Maybe some checkboxes for night and raining to tack some extra loss on there for lights, hvac, wipers, etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
This math actually checks out, but it is a little convoluted because it assume you always use 2.44 mi/kwh in the calculation. 100% SOH and 100% SOC is 130kwh which is 320 miles, which is 2.44 mi/kwh. At 40 degrees, the SOH would be 78%, and then charging to 80% would get you 81kwh available. At the fixed multiplier of 2.44 mi/kwh, that's 199 miles range which is identical to what I currently get in reality.

The convoluted part is the trip computer and gauges doesn't show it this way. It shows you 1.9mi/kwh rather than derating the available battery percentage. Probably because people would lose their minds if they actually saw the illustration of reduced capacity.

If the calculator could be configured to punch in a temperature, and keep the mi/kwh at 2.44, that would let you make a pretty accurate calculation based on temperature. Maybe some checkboxes for night and raining to tack some extra loss on there for lights, hvac, wipers, etc.
What temperature does to the battery is not something I fully understand. My math/advice is purely based on reviewing research other people have done. I am kicking around the idea of building a calculator to do what you're suggesting, but I don't want to make this to overly complicated. I want to stick to easy assumptions, or what the gauges tell us to keep this as simple as possible to operate.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Actually, that subtract 3% for every 4F below 70 apparently takes into account all things temperature related. The reduced performance of lithium batteries, but also typical HVAC use and aerodynamic drag. HVAC and drag really shouldn't be part of battery health math but seems that's how they wrote the formula.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Been a bit since an update, but I added the ability to switch between ways of displaying efficiency, instead of just mi/kWh, it can swap to kWh/100mi, and Wh/mi. I also couldn't remember my algebra, so I built a page that shows all of them in comparison to each other so I could test my equations. Since I built it, I went ahead and included it as another page.

I have one more tool I want to add which will allow you to input a distance and SOC, and it will tell you what efficiency you need to maintain to make sure you can make it that far. After that I'm going start figuring out how to make this into iOS and Android apps.

visit https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev/ to check out the update.
Sponsored