• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning / EV calculator

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I built this tonight. Super basic at the moment. I'll make it better over time. I started with a DTE calculator. Let me know what other calculators I should add.

https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev/
Sponsored

rraustad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT SR
I like that. My suggestions would be: limit the SOC <= 100 since that's the usable energy, and maybe add a range safety factor input into the calc (e.g., 40 mi to get to an alt charger). Then maybe importing to the console? somehow?

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
  • Added some sanity limits to each of the fields
  • Added some style change when DTE is <50 or <10
  • Reformatted content to hopefully better fit mobile screen
  • Switched from default font to Ariel/Helvetica/Sans Serif
Deployments take awhile to roll out, so try refreshing every few minutes if you don't see the changes.

Planned upcoming changes:
  • Sliders for each field
  • A button to click instead of having to switch to another field, should be more mobile friendly that way

I welcome all feedback, but keep in mind my intention is to make this with no server/storage capabilities, or in other words: no long-term tracking.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
@TaxmanHog or maybe I need to ask @Administrator? Would you mind if I steal the favicon from this forum? I have no intention of monetizing, this is my give-back to this great community y'all have built.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Do you plan on adding temperature and load effects on distance? Could add distance factor selector buttons and sliders for ER/SR, battery age/health/mileage, city/freeway/suburban driving % (your mi/kWh is actually fine by me), topper, and load/size? Not sure if statistics are available or accurate for some of those factors.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Do you plan on adding temperature and load effects on distance? Could add distance factor selector buttons and sliders for ER/SR, battery age/health/mileage, city/freeway/suburban driving % (your mi/kWh is actually fine by me), topper, and load/size? Not sure if statistics are available or accurate for some of those factors.
Load, driving environment, topper, size are all already factored in when you tell it the m/kWh you're getting on your trip. I don't really have hard numbers to apply to temperature variations. I do want to add a user supplied battery health modifier, but you could also do that by lowering the capacity on your own. I am also working on moving capacity to a slider with stop points at 70, 91, 98, 105, 131, 135 and 149 which should cover the MachE, F150L, and Rivian. Though I'm willing to add others since I know there's someone on here that loves his focus EV, I would just need people to give me the capacities that make this easy for them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
I meant to be able to open on dash screen. But I can always open this on my phone.
OK, yeah, at this time, no plans. This is just a very basic web app currently and there's no way to project a web page through AA or CP. I'm targeting use on phone screens right now. Maybe if there's a lot of use and demand I'll turn it into an app and see about making it AA and CP compatible, but I already know web apps, not native apps, so this is my comfort zone for the moment.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning
Thinking of the user interface, can you program a button for ER and SR batteries rather than typing in a kwh amount. If people wanted to lower the capacity, they could enter in a derate amount, maybe default to 98% since all our trucks are relatively new.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Updated the tool today
Added:
  • Sliders for all the inputs
    • kWh capacity stop points for MachEs, F150Ls, and Rivians (Works well on a desktop, not happy with this on mobile)
  • Calculations happen on change instead of upon leaving the field, so it's snappier
  • Button to click in case your browser isn't picking up the changes
  • Usage stats from the host, this is invisible, but it's just to give me an idea of how much this tool is used, does not track you personally in any way that I am aware of.
  • small visual changes
Future Adds:
  • buttons for the kWh values. since the slider stops only seem to work on desktop
  • Fixing the width of things and rounding the DTE to the whole mile (who needs tenths or hundredths?)

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Since it does not remember capacity between sessions (defaulting to 131), is there a way to specify the capacity in the URL? Something like: https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev/?battery=98
Folks could bookmark this modified URL.

If so, I wonder if next you could even append/modify the URL after it is changed so folks could bookmark that. So once they made it 98, the URL in their browser would show the example above.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
New update to https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev/ just deployed.
Adds:
  • presets for Lightings and MachEs
  • Width adjustments and rounding the miles down to the nearest whole number
  • @bmwhitetx 's idea to use the query string in the url to be able to bookmark your capacity
Future adds
  • Make it prettier.

Unless people want more presets, I don't really have much more to add. Any suggestions on the next tool I can add?
Sponsored