• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Hey, I admit it probably sounds like the Wild Wild West comparatively. ?

But I can tell ya that, in rural areas at least, you are still expected to treat well behaved folks with some kind of respect. Or you might just get a butt whoopin. :)

Still, it's changing pretty rapidly there too. Integrity is leaking at an alarming rate.

Oh, and we do have Lemon Law and plenty of them slick lawyers if you need to fetch one.
Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
You can defend them as strongly as you prefer but it doesn't make the nonsensical argument into a valid one.

One can not "run out" of something that doesn't exist yet. They certainly didn't run out of the capacity to produce more. They could, in fact, convert every single planned Lariat into a Pro but they're choosing not to.

Now, that's certainly their right but don't conflate that with an argument they've somehow "sold out" of vehicles. Your entire 3rd paragraph is entirely irrelevant to the conversation of deeming a pre-production model "out of stock" so I'm not going to bother addressing it.

I'd have to go back and do more research but I do believe it's you who has been repeatedly posting these long defenses of Ford's practices in these discussions without any apparent understanding of the current law regarding such practices. I do find it humorous, however, that you post a call-back to the 80s, which is when a large corpus of law regarding bait and switch tactics started evolving.

In any case, if anyone is interested in reading something about it here's a link: https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1059&context=wmblr

Furthermore, states can and do have stricter protections. CA, for example, would be particularly interested in prosecuting an actionable case. Whether the political desire is present with the current administration and push toward EV adoption might temper that otherwise eager AG, though.
At the end of the day, said AG still works for the taxpaying citizens and not for Ford. And swore an oath to uphold the law, so…

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I can see some of both sides of the argument, as Ford could have used the term 'limited' supply as part of their advertising, although advertising, as defined, is not about pointing out anything negative. Some who use the term, like fast food retailers, might be doing it as a 'draw', rather than a disclaimer. I've certainly been plenty of places where a product has 'sold out' and is not available, even though that's what drew me to stop there - that's advertising, for sure, but it could also be other obstacles in the way. The retailer may actually not be able to keep up with demand, get the allocations of ingredients to make it happen, etc., - it's not uncommon, but YES, it IS aggravating.

I'm losing my patience, too. I'm not sure when, in the last 57 years of my life, have I had such a hard time 'waiting' for something to spend all my money on! Crazy. But, patience is a virtue. And, it sure is a hard one! 6-8 months from now, it'll all be better and we'll look back and wonder 'why' we stressed so much about such a 'simple' thing as a truck, especially if you bring in whats happening on the other side of the world. : /

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
I can see some of both sides of the argument, as Ford could have used the term 'limited' supply as part of their advertising, although advertising, as defined, is not about pointing out anything negative. Some who use the term, like fast food retailers, might be doing it as a 'draw', rather than a disclaimer. I've certainly been plenty of places where a product has 'sold out' and is not available, even though that's what drew me to stop there - that's advertising, for sure, but it could also be other obstacles in the way. The retailer may actually not be able to keep up with demand, get the allocations of ingredients to make it happen, etc., - it's not uncommon, but YES, it IS aggravating.

I'm losing my patience, too. I'm not sure when, in the last 57 years of my life, have I had such a hard time 'waiting' for something to spend all my money on! Crazy. But, patience is a virtue. And, it sure is a hard one! 6-8 months from now, it'll all be better and we'll look back and wonder 'why' we stressed so much about such a 'simple' thing as a truck, especially if you bring in whats happening on the other side of the world. : /
6 months from now we will wonder why we spent so much money on a Ford when we could have waited just a little longer and gotten a Cybertruck or waited on gotten a newer design F150 that is actually designed from the ground up as an EV, not just revamped ICE vehicle chassis

Sponsored

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
6 months from now we will wonder why we spent so much money on a Ford when we could have waited just a little longer and gotten a Cybertruck or waited on gotten a newer design F150 that is actually designed from the ground up as an EV, not just revamped ICE vehicle chassis
I am not tied into the Cybertruck much, but it seems like it is plagued with a lot of delays in development. In 12-18 months you will have the Silverado and Sierra EVs that have improvements in charging time and range that will most likely be offset by some negatives relative to the Lightning. That gap will change when the 2nd generation Lightning becomes available in a few years. In 3-4 years I see a market with several viable options and we will have a better feel for the long term viability of the different EV startups.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
I am not tied into the Cybertruck much, but it seems like it is plagued with a lot of delays in development. In 12-18 months you will have the Silverado and Sierra EVs that have improvements in charging time and range that will most likely be offset by some negatives relative to the Lightning. That gap will change when the 2nd generation Lightning becomes available in a few years. In 3-4 years I see a market with several viable options and we will have a better feel for the long term viability of the different EV startups.
Cybertruck is intentionally put on the back burner but if you follow the youtube stuff you will see there is still a ton of development going on behind the curtain. Tesla just isn't about vaporware and marketing, even the products that are revealed but not pushed are real, not vaporware like GM (and hopefully F150 is fully baked...) and Tesla will be cranking when they produce, not whimpy productions plagued with problems like Rivian and Lucid, etc, and I have to say it but Ford as well....
Here's a good example, Rivian just raised their prices astronomically and downgraded their products to dual motor at the same price as the quad motor was, but on the other hand, Tesla has upgraded their top of the line Cybertruck to quad motor!
And back to GM, look at the abismal way they handled the Bolt! Cars were spontaneously combusting when charged as designed but GM's solution was to tell people to park them outside away from their house!!! WTF!!! And you want to consider a pickup from them? Honestly they don't even make the Bolt, its made by LG for them!!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Cybertruck base trim won't be less than $60k by the time it hits the market, I bet. Top trim will be well over $100k.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
Cybertruck base trim won't be less than $60k by the time it hits the market, I bet. Top trim will be well over $100k.
Well we don't know the future for sure, but that is a distinct possibility. Tesla definitely changes pricing based on availability vs demand. So who knows, if demand is down and production capacity is up, Tesla has the margins to be able to react quickly and decrease pricing, which they have been known to do. But the scenario could be the opposite and prices could go up.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Tesla just isn't about vaporware and marketing, even the products that are revealed but not pushed are real, not vaporware
This was 2016.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/19/13341100/tesla-self-driving-autonomous-road-trip-la-nyc

Tesla’s new self-driving system could be good enough to road trip from Los Angeles to New York by the end of next year, Elon Musk announced on a press call Wednesday. After revealing the company’s latest hardware, Musk said the company’s goal was to enable a fully autonomous trip from Los Angeles to New York by the end of next year. According to Musk, the trip would occur "without the need for a single touch" from the driver, including recharging the car’s battery.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
Now you are talking about a completely different subject, trying to impune Tesla's product and manufacturing prowess by discussing autonomous driving and Elon Musk's infamous habit of over promising and under delivering when discussing Full Self Driving capability. He has been over promising on this feature for years and years and he is constantly skewered in the press for his over optimism, and rightly so.
But remember Tesla manufactured and shipped almost 1 million cars last year and has single handedly forged a new future for the automobile industry, where many have tried and failed to pentrate the wall of corruption and anti trade barriers, and I attribute their success to the same kooky optimism and stop at nothing personality of Elon Musk.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Now you are talking about a completely different subject, trying to impune Tesla's product and manufacturing prowess by discussing autonomous driving and Elon Musk's infamous habit of over promising and under delivering when discussing Full Self Driving capability.
Ok. Let's talk trucks.

When unveiled in 2017, Tesla said that it would come to market in 2019, and it started taking reservations from many companies looking to electrify their fleets.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...lectric-truck-finally-go-into-production/amp/

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
You aren't going to win this one, Jerry! :)

I love Musk and Tesla but they are the reigning champs of automotive vaporware.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
yep, but Tesla Semi's have been produced
You aren't going to win this one, Jerry! :)

I love Musk and Tesla but they are the reigning champs of automotive vaporware.
LOL! I respectfully disagree, Elon always comes through eventually and they have produced more EV's, working prototype or actual production, then every other company combined!
Sponsored