• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
How the heck do they remove AM radio only? I can’t imagine there was a chip being avoided that removes a constraint.
This is not something that is unique to Ford. According to thedrive.com, EVs and/or PHEVs from Audi, BMW, Porsche, Tesla and Volvo are sold without AM radios. Apparently, some OEMs have stated that it is the result of poor sound quality caused by interference from the EV drivetrain. Another reason might be that AM is not as popular as it is in North America.

A link to the article is below.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/heres-why-some-automakers-tune-out-am-radios-in-new-cars

I think that this is unfortunate news since the highway traffic advisory system relies on AM band transmitters.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
So it is massaging the EPA numbers :)

in CA, most people have zero reason to use heated seats year-round, so we've always had the +10 miles :p
Wait a tick! The MME California Route 1 edition has heated seats and steering wheel…. 😆

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Bye bye AM radio. Does this mean the big antenna is gone?
Yeah, too much interference from the inverters and motors.

The addition of heated seats to the Pro is what seals the deal for me. Definitely going to choose the Pro. Too bad they got rid of Atlas Blue.

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV

The addition of heated seats to the Pro is what seals the deal for me. Definitely going to choose the Pro. Too bad they got rid of Atlas Blue.
why would it not list heated seats in the order guide tho? Nor On build and price (tho we know how misleading b&p can be)

Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
why would it not list heated seats in the order guide tho? Nor On build and price (tho we know how misleading b&p can be)
It does list the Pro heated front seats in the order guide posted to this thread.

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What an engineering accomplishment. Elon must be losing it. Hah

So for those us in CA.
No need for HVAC heating and no need for heated seats. What is our EPA estimate?

+30 miles ?
The estimates are typically for the 'lowest optioned' version of a trim, where the manufacturer splits up the trims based on how many they care to pay for (and can justify the option sets being close enough to not need further testing).

The test from the EPA is designed to be a somewhat realistic test, so it requires that the cabin be held at a certain temperature (given a certain exterior ambient temperature). HOWEVER, they acknowledge that a warm butt makes people be comfortable at a lower temperature, so they lower the required interior temp.

In an EV, heat is VERY expensive to generate, since you don't have a giant 65% efficient space-heater running in front of the vehicle. It is typically a resistor based heater (though some EVs have a heat pump!), which are pretty horribly inefficient.

The ONLY purpose for the EPA numbers are a 'fair' comparison between vehicles, so 'I'm in a place where I never need a heater!' doesn't really come into factor, the same way, "I live on the top of a hill, and my car takes a cable-car back to the top at the end of the day!" doesnt.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
The CANADA order guide (8/10/22) for the 2023 F-150 Lightning has been added to the first post.

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
Oh snap! I missed it! I’m excited!
(Typical Ford move to not put it on the first page where “changes from 2022” are supposed to be listed)

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 F-150 Lightning ORDER GUIDE Released (U.S. & Canada)! 39E354CD-A08E-4891-88F2-6CF0605B65A1

Sponsored

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Having been driving a Focus Electric for nearly five and a half years, I've found the noise on the AM radio to be not significantly worse than it was with non-electronic ignition ICE vehicles. Still, the one AM station I listen to is available on an app that sounds better and reaches beyond the station's broadcast range.

Too bad they got rid of Atlas Blue.
That was my my wife's choice for her Lightning, but with it not available she went with Antimatter Blue. Then the dealership messed up the order when they had to manually copy it from their sales system to Ford's factory order system (why don't these two systems work together?!?) and it became Agate Black.

The dealership has offered a small compensation for the error, though now that we see the two colours are almost identical, it's not as bad an error as we first thought.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Any updates to this since February or will that be it for MY23?
Sponsored