• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I'll never understand why they kept that cab-to-bed transition detail from the Avalanche. That looks so stupid IMO.
They did that for two reasons, for the mid-gate and because the Silverado EV isn't a full body-on-frame vehicle, instead it uses a combination of a skateboard platform and the body structure to add strength and rigidity. It's likely that was a necessary addition to increase torsional rigidity.
Sponsored

raz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
New LG MNCA battery is supposed to reduce cost and mass production by using 90% Nickel and less than .5% cobalt. The benefit of 90% nickel is the DC fast charging, but the longevity of battery is questionable.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
They did that for two reasons, for the mid-gate and because the Silverado EV isn't a full body-on-frame vehicle, instead it uses a combination of a skateboard platform and the body structure to add strength and rigidity. It's likely that was a necessary addition to increase torsional rigidity.
Wait, so the Silverado EV is a unibody construction ?

I thought it would be a true truck - body on frame like the Lightning.

That makes the Silverado a wanna be truck ?

Is that why the payload is so low ?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I just can't get over how ugly the interior display is. Everything else is fine. I can handle smaller frunk and that it looks like an overweight avalanche...but that 11" display layout has to go. It's like they realized last minute they forgot the screen and just duct taped it to the dash.
TFL guy said GM asked no shots of interior. That most likely means this is not exactly what we will see in production.

I can see them going with 160 since that should let them squeak into 400 mile range. But I think we'll have 300kWh "max tow package" trucks in less than 15 years and 200kWh in less than 5 years. We'll see.
You are probably right since there is always a race for more of something without a thought to see if that race is in the right direction.

However, unless battery density goes ridiculously hi, The best solution may be a hybrid battery not included type of deal. My Pro is a perfect pack size for 95% of my use. I wouldn’t want to lose payload capacity, acceleration and put extra stress on the tire and rest of the vehicle hauling extra battery I don’t use. Best solution would be if I could go to dealer, rent additional 200 mile worth of batteries right before my trip or if I tow occasionally, have that extra 100 Kwh in my garage to use with my solar roof and just load it for the trip. Except for those that tow regularly or go on long distance trips to charging deserts regularly, Keep shoving in more batteries in an inefficient vehicle when there is battery shortage mostly adds a feeling of security that should come from fast reliable charging.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Uh, “m” is milliWatthour. I think you meant Mega with a capital M! So 3000 kWh, not 0.000003 kWh. :)
(Yeah, I’m an engineer)
Yes, a three Mega Watt battery.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
TFL guy said GM asked no shots of interior. That most likely means this is not exactly what we will see in production.

You are probably right since there is always a race for more of something without a thought to see if that race is in the right direction.

However, unless battery density goes ridiculously hi, The best solution may be a hybrid battery not included type of deal. My Pro is a perfect pack size for 95% of my use. I wouldn’t want to lose payload capacity, acceleration and put extra stress on the tire and rest of the vehicle hauling extra battery I don’t use. Best solution would be if I could go to dealer, rent additional 200 mile worth of batteries right before my trip or if I tow occasionally, have that extra 100 Kwh in my garage to use with my solar roof and just load it for the trip. Except for those that tow regularly or go on long distance trips to charging deserts regularly, Keep shoving in more batteries in an inefficient vehicle when there is battery shortage mostly adds a feeling of security that should come from fast reliable charging.
There's a Ford patent for a drop in range extender ice generator built into a tool box type enclosure. Ford needs to actually produce this and have it where you can rent them from the dealership. That'll solve those couple times a year long towing trips for campers.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Not sure... what will the inflation rate be the next 3 years?

How skinny margins is Chevy willing to take to get the "starting at" headlines like Ford did?

Does it really matter if they only build less than 5% of their EV truck in that config? We are likely just discussing a unicorn config.

I dont know, and you dont know. Shine up your crystal ball... and I'll shine mine. Its just conjecture.

The problem is I think there are a lot of overly optimistic people trying to rationalize the price lower because it what they want. Not because it is likely.

My guess, there are very very few Sub $50k Silverado EV's ever made, if any. If there are any at all it is done as a loss leader in limited quantity or it will be neutered in some major capacity like battery pack size.
...and perhaps some "sour grapes" among Ford Lightning fans trying to raise the price?
Sponsored