• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Not doubting you, just curious how you came up with that number?

The only thing I could come up with is charging at 350kW/hr for 10 minutes adds 100mi range (350/6=58.3kW added). If the range is 400mi that would make the battery pack roughly 233kW which would make 1.7kW/mi which sounds very very reasonable (though a 233kW battery pack is outrageous).

Edit:
Here is a link showing that the Ultium system can have up to double the energy density of normal Lithium and that they plan to use 200kW (which is a round number so I assume an estimate) batteries in their trucks.

"With each 24-cell Ultium battery module good for 8.9 kWh, expect to see six-module packs rated for 50-kWh usable capacity in the smallest, lightest vehicles, and the mighty 200-kWh (usable) pack topping the range in the GMC Hummer EV."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-ultium-platform-technology-explained/amp/
My math was bad.….thanks for fixing it. 😀

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Will the latest and best battery chemistry be the same 3 years from now?
Not sure... what will the inflation rate be the next 3 years?

How skinny margins is Chevy willing to take to get the "starting at" headlines like Ford did?

Does it really matter if they only build less than 5% of their EV truck in that config? We are likely just discussing a unicorn config.

I dont know, and you dont know. Shine up your crystal ball... and I'll shine mine. Its just conjecture.

The problem is I think there are a lot of overly optimistic people trying to rationalize the price lower because it what they want. Not because it is likely.

My guess, there are very very few Sub $50k Silverado EV's ever made, if any. If there are any at all it is done as a loss leader in limited quantity or it will be neutered in some major capacity like battery pack size.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Well it's more like 1.5 years by the time the WT comes out.

There is a path, and it is possible. That's all I'm saying.
According to the GM reps:
Fleet / Commercial WT EV is coming out this summer.
RST for consumers coming out fall.
Consumer WT is coming out winter 2023.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
According to the GM reps:
Fleet / Commercial WT EV is coming out this summer.
RST for consumers coming out fall.
Consumer WT is coming out winter 2023.
They must have pulled everything forward about 6 months. Last I remember, the consumer WT wasn't supposed to be available until spring/summer 2024.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I thought the same thing because that's logical...however:

"The peak charging power of the Silverado EV is 350 kW as standard. GM expects ten minutes of charging through an 800-volt DC charger that can charge at up to 350 kW to provide a range of approximately 100 miles. The company is estimating a range of over 400 miles on a full charge, hinting that it’s not downsizing the battery pack (24-module pack). The Silverado EV WT includes bidirectional charging support, so, it can supply up to 10.2 kW of power from its battery pack to charge electric equipment or even another EV at the job site, while not leaving the driver stranded after a day’s work."

"The WT and the RST both get about 400 miles of full-electric range. A front trunk, which is standard with both models, provides even more storage capacity."

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/chevrolet/chevrolet-silverado-ev-work-truck/

https://www.reliable-chevrolet.com/chevrolet-reviews/2024-silverado-ev.htm

(No clue if that's a reputable source...it is the internet)

There is no mention of different battery sizes or a SR vs ER model. Ford always clarified in the Lightning the difference.
TFL put a video out on this today. The 400 mile range is only on the WT4 trim which starts at $79k. Even WT3 has a lower range, though they didn't have numbers for it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Not sure... what will the inflation rate be the next 3 years?

How skinny margins is Chevy willing to take to get the "starting at" headlines like Ford did?

Does it really matter if they only build less than 5% of their EV truck in that config? We are likely just discussing a unicorn config.

I dont know, and you dont know. Shine up your crystal ball... and I'll shine mine. Its just conjecture.

The problem is I think there are a lot of overly optimistic people trying to rationalize the price lower because it what they want. Not because it is likely.

My guess, there are very very few Sub $50k Silverado EV's ever made, if any. If there are any at all it is done as a loss leader in limited quantity or it will be neutered in some major capacity like battery pack size.
Well, given the production rates of the Hummer EV and just about every other Ultium EV, does it really matter if they are only making 10 or 20 a month?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Will the latest and best battery chemistry be the same 3 years from now?
Yes. Five years? Maybe not, but it is not looking promising for anything to overtake Li-ion NMC as the best chemistry for the most energy-dense (and fun) chemistry. LFP may become more popular as a platform, but it will not have the umpf of NMC. Forget Si-ion and solid state as near-term replacements.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
There is 0% chance that they are going to sell a 200kWh battery truck for $42K. I doubt we'll ever see anything at that price.

They've already said that 3WT/4WT (shown in the video) starts at $75K which might have a 200kWh battery. We also know that the volume RST trim (which is roughly equivalent to Ford's XLT trim) will be $107K.

Payload is 1300lbs in 3WT/RST.
Silverado EV will NEVER have 200kWh battery. 160kWh is max.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
What, may I ask, leads you to this definitive statement? Do you not believe a battery could never be packaged in the frame that would yield this result, or do you truly believe that no battery could ever exceed 160 kWh? I ask because I am currently testing a 3 MWh battery we are designing for a customer.

Edit is for all the engineers that come to a full stop if one little thing is wrong and cannot conceptualize what is the real/relevant information and/or meaning...I work with a couple of those types of engineers. It should also be said that I am NOT an engineer...I'm more of an operational guy that manages to keep everything running (for the last 12 years in this lab).

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
ask because I am currently testing a 3 mWh battery we are designing for a customer.
Uh, “m” is milliWatthour. I think you meant Mega with a capital M! So 3000 kWh, not 0.000003 kWh. :)
(Yeah, I’m an engineer)

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Soooo ugly..... Let's see if GM can actually push any real volume numbers of any of it's EVs

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I just can't get over how ugly the interior display is. Everything else is fine. I can handle smaller frunk and that it looks like an overweight avalanche...but that 11" display layout has to go. It's like they realized last minute they forgot the screen and just duct taped it to the dash.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I can see them going with 160 since that should let them squeak into 400 mile range. But I think we'll have 300kWh "max tow package" trucks in less than 15 years and 200kWh in less than 5 years. We'll see.
Sponsored