• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'll be honest, I'm number 1 at my local dealer...if the range truly is 400mi at that price (which Im still skeptical of). I may have to consider trading in my Pro.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I'll be honest, I'm number 1 at my local dealer...if the range truly is 400mi at that price (which Im still skeptical of). I may have to consider trading in my Pro.
No, range will not be 400 miles for the base $42K price tag.
Most likely it will be the 250 mile range Ultium pack.

IF you want to upgrade to the WT-3 or WT-4 levels at a higher price point, the 400 mile Ultium pack will be available at a much higher price ($60K+).

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
No, range will not be 400 miles for the base $42K price tag.
Most likely it will be the 250 mile range Ultium pack.

IF you want to upgrade to the WT-3 or WT-4 levels at a higher price point, the 400 mile Ultium pack will be available at a much higher price ($60K+).
I thought the same thing because that's logical...however:

"The peak charging power of the Silverado EV is 350 kW as standard. GM expects ten minutes of charging through an 800-volt DC charger that can charge at up to 350 kW to provide a range of approximately 100 miles. The company is estimating a range of over 400 miles on a full charge, hinting that it’s not downsizing the battery pack (24-module pack). The Silverado EV WT includes bidirectional charging support, so, it can supply up to 10.2 kW of power from its battery pack to charge electric equipment or even another EV at the job site, while not leaving the driver stranded after a day’s work."

"The WT and the RST both get about 400 miles of full-electric range. A front trunk, which is standard with both models, provides even more storage capacity."

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/chevrolet/chevrolet-silverado-ev-work-truck/

https://www.reliable-chevrolet.com/chevrolet-reviews/2024-silverado-ev.htm

(No clue if that's a reputable source...it is the internet)

There is no mention of different battery sizes or a SR vs ER model. Ford always clarified in the Lightning the difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Same here. No complaints on my Lightning really but I'd definitely consider it for more range

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I thought the same thing because that's logical...however:

"The peak charging power of the Silverado EV is 350 kW as standard. GM expects ten minutes of charging through an 800-volt DC charger that can charge at up to 350 kW to provide a range of approximately 100 miles. The company is estimating a range of over 400 miles on a full charge, hinting that it’s not downsizing the battery pack (24-module pack). The Silverado EV WT includes bidirectional charging support, so, it can supply up to 10.2 kW of power from its battery pack to charge electric equipment or even another EV at the job site, while not leaving the driver stranded after a day’s work."

"The WT and the RST both get about 400 miles of full-electric range. A front trunk, which is standard with both models, provides even more storage capacity."

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/chevrolet/chevrolet-silverado-ev-work-truck/

https://www.reliable-chevrolet.com/chevrolet-reviews/2024-silverado-ev.htm

(No clue if that's a reputable source...it is the internet)

There is no mention of different battery sizes or a SR vs ER model. Ford always clarified in the Lightning the difference.
Those numbers translate to a minimum efficiency of 3.5 MPK. Call me skeptical.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Those numbers translate to a minimum efficiency of 3.5 MPK. Call me skeptical.
Not doubting you, just curious how you came up with that number?

The only thing I could come up with is charging at 350kW/hr for 10 minutes adds 100mi range (350/6=58.3kW added). If the range is 400mi that would make the battery pack roughly 233kW which would make 1.7kW/mi which sounds very very reasonable (though a 233kW battery pack is outrageous).

Edit:
Here is a link showing that the Ultium system can have up to double the energy density of normal Lithium and that they plan to use 200kW (which is a round number so I assume an estimate) batteries in their trucks.

"With each 24-cell Ultium battery module good for 8.9 kWh, expect to see six-module packs rated for 50-kWh usable capacity in the smallest, lightest vehicles, and the mighty 200-kWh (usable) pack topping the range in the GMC Hummer EV."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-ultium-platform-technology-explained/amp/

Last edited:

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Not doubting you, just curious how you came up with that number?

The only thing I could come up with is charging at 350kW/hr for 10 minutes adds 100mi range (350/6=58.3kW added). If the range is 400mi that would make the battery pack roughly 233kW which would make 1.7kW/mi which sounds very very reasonable (though a 233kW battery pack is outrageous).

Edit:
Here is a link showing that the Ultium system can have up to double the energy density of normal Lithium and that they plan to use 200kW (which is a round number so I assume an estimate) batteries in their trucks.

"With each 24-cell Ultium battery module good for 8.9 kWh, expect to see six-module packs rated for 50-kWh usable capacity in the smallest, lightest vehicles, and the mighty 200-kWh (usable) pack topping the range in the GMC Hummer EV."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-ultium-platform-technology-explained/amp/
There is 0% chance that they are going to sell a 200kWh battery truck for $42K. I doubt we'll ever see anything at that price.

They've already said that 3WT/4WT (shown in the video) starts at $75K which might have a 200kWh battery. We also know that the volume RST trim (which is roughly equivalent to Ford's XLT trim) will be $107K.

Payload is 1300lbs in 3WT/RST.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
There is 0% chance that they are going to sell a 200kWh battery truck for $42K. I doubt we'll ever see anything at that price.

They've already said that 3WT/4WT (shown in the video) starts at $75K which might have a 200kWh battery. We also know that the volume RST trim (which is roughly equivalent to Ford's XLT trim) will be $107K.

Payload is 1300lbs in 3WT/RST.
Again, not doubting what you are saying (and that is completely logical) however:

The cost of the Lightning batteries might be around $140/kW. The Ultium system is under $100/kW with an estimation to get below $70/kW within a few years. That would make a 200kW Ultium battery, currently, a similar price to the 130kW in the Lightning ER, and GMs target cost making it the same cost as our Lightning SRs in the next few years.

So, while unlikely...0% chance isn't correct.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/vale-supply-gm-with-nickel-evs-starting-2026-2022-11-17/

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Again, not doubting what you are saying (and that is completely logical) however:

The cost of the Lightning batteries might be around $140/kW. The Ultium system is under $100/kW with an estimation to get below $70/kW within a few years. That would make a 200kW Ultium battery, currently, a similar price to the 130kW in the Lightning ER, and GMs target cost making it the same cost as our Lightning SRs in the next few years.

So, while unlikely...0% chance isn't correct.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/vale-supply-gm-with-nickel-evs-starting-2026-2022-11-17/
I'm a gambler and I put the odds at 0.1%.

I doubt that Ultium is under $100/kWh today. The projection of lithium batteries going to $50/kWh is common in the industry but it's been moved back due to commodity pricing. I do think it will happen, but after 2030.

Let's say that GM somehow is getting $100/kWh, that's still $21K for the 212kWh (total capacity) battery. There is zero chance GM is selling a $42K truck where the battery alone costs them $21K. The only way would be if they had some weird contractual reason or government compliance reason and then they would only sell the minimum they were forced to.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'm a gambler and I put the odds at 0.1%.

I doubt that Ultium is under $100/kWh today. The projection of lithium batteries going to $50/kWh is common in the industry but it's been moved back due to commodity pricing. I do think it will happen, but after 2030.

Let's say that GM somehow is getting $100/kWh, that's still $21K for the 212kWh (total capacity) battery. There is zero chance GM is selling a $42K truck where the battery alone costs them $21K. The only way would be if they had some weird contractual reason or government compliance reason and then they would only sell the minimum they were forced to.
Correct. But at their goal of $70/kW in the next few years that would put the cost at $14,840. Which is possible.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Correct. But at their goal of $70/kW in the next few years that would put the cost at $14,840. Which is possible.
Yeah I'm sure it's a goal. :)

And that's 3 years from now? Are they going to sell a $42K truck (inflation adjusted) where the battery alone is 15K 3 years from now?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yeah I'm sure it's a goal. :)

And that's 3 years from now? Are they going to sell a $42K truck (inflation adjusted) where the battery alone is 15K 3 years from now?
Well it's more like 1.5 years by the time the WT comes out.

There is a path, and it is possible. That's all I'm saying.
Sponsored