• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

48 amp mobile charger contact connection to old three prong outlet

Deeame

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Lightning
I have an old style 50 amp 240V circuit with two poles and a ground. Can I use an adapter to connect my four prong mobile charger to this or swap out the three prong outlet for a four prong outlet?
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I am not an electrician, but I would avoid an adapter, this is a lot of juice for such a failure point. I think you should be able to swap in a NEMA 14-50 if everything is properly wired. As per many other warnings, you get what you pay for with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a ~$100 one from Home Depot is going to fry, spend upwards of $300 for a good commercial grade outlet.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Exactly what spear said. No, you don’t need a neutral, and a three wire connection is all that’s needed. But that’s a lot of amps. Any loose connection will melt with the possibility of fire. Just remove it and use a single quality outlet. If you use it regularly it’s a must.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
For the record, there is no mobile EVSE with a 14-50 plug/cordset that should be able to charge at 48A (in the thread's title). I suspect you mean 40A, which is 80% of a 50A circuit for the continuous load that is represented by EV charging.

50A breaker+properly sized conductors+quality industrial/commercial 50A rated receptacle= maximum 40A charging
Sponsored