• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Invictus

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat SR
Could have been worse but still devastating. Picked it up on Tuesday afternoon and right around 200 miles on her. 😭

Stopped in a right hand turn lane and person wasn’t paying attention. Probably new bumper and light and some body work to panel under the taillight and tailgate.

Tailgate still goes up and down but rubs metal/metal in the bent corner.

Should I get it repaired at the dealership or find a highly rated shop?

Ford F-150 Lightning 48hrs of ownership….rear ended! EE298148-A0AF-4E92-A03C-C07193E4475C

Ford F-150 Lightning 48hrs of ownership….rear ended! 5D188245-7C3A-4FCA-8E8F-3785274F30B4

Ford F-150 Lightning 48hrs of ownership….rear ended! E26790D5-C134-40C9-853F-00202FEEBAC3
Sponsored

OP
OP
Invictus

Invictus

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat SR
So it looks like main damage is at the buckle point under the tail light (and broken tail light of course). Hoping it’s not going to be that big of a deal to repair and won’t have any long term challenges with it. 🙏🏻

Ford F-150 Lightning 48hrs of ownership….rear ended! FA878F0D-C9C4-4592-8A54-DC5B3BBC04E7

Ford F-150 Lightning 48hrs of ownership….rear ended! 5679FEF2-2AFE-45C9-AE15-F2F2BDD292E7

Ford F-150 Lightning 48hrs of ownership….rear ended! D1336A1E-A237-4257-BC13-5CC8EDC5DB6D

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I see this going one of two ways. Either they can pull the damage out and TIG weld the tear in the bodyside under the taillight, or you're looking at all of the rivets on that bodyside being drilled out and the whole panel being replaced.

I would definitely make sure whomever does the work is certified by Ford to do aluminum work.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
That sucks.

OP
OP
Invictus

Invictus

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat SR
Yeah, we will see what they say once I get it into the shop. Doing my research now on "diminished value" claims. Looks like I should be able to go after that but not sure what kind of damages that would be. How much less is the $80k (MSRP not "actual" current value) vehicle with 200 miles on it worth now that it has a reported accident on the carfax?

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
That’s a damn shame!
Glad you weren’t injured.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Dude. That sucks. I hate to see this

Could have been worse but still devastating. Picked it up on Tuesday afternoon and right around 200 miles on her. 😭

Stopped in a right hand turn lane and person wasn’t paying attention. Probably new bumper and light and some body work to panel under the taillight and tailgate.

Tailgate still goes up and down but rubs metal/metal in the bent corner.

Should I get it repaired at the dealership or find a highly rated shop?

EE298148-A0AF-4E92-A03C-C07193E4475C.jpeg

5D188245-7C3A-4FCA-8E8F-3785274F30B4.jpeg

E26790D5-C134-40C9-853F-00202FEEBAC3.jpeg

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Sad to see. I love the color of your truck.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yeah, we will see what they say once I get it into the shop. Doing my research now on "diminished value" claims. Looks like I should be able to go after that but not sure what kind of damages that would be. How much less is the $80k (MSRP not "actual" current value) vehicle with 200 miles on it worth now that it has a reported accident on the carfax?
Definitely file for diminished value against the other party's insurance.

It will hurt you when it comes time for resale - I know when my BMW got rear ended, the diminished value claim of $4000 was paid out 3 years prior but when I sold her, I was dinged $2500.

As for a reputable body shop - choose the one you want to do the work - not the other party's insurance.

Remember you can also get a rental for the same class vehicle during the time it's in the shop.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
This sucks! so sorry for you.
I was on freeway at 55 mph 4am dark thirty the freeway way was very light traffic, I was changing lanes slowly to the right with no cars behind me when this fool popped up with no lights going at least 90 passes me to the right. I'm half way in the lane and he is half way on the shoulder when he passed me. Yeah scared the shit out of me...

This is a good reason to have a dash cam for sure.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
This is stuff I am interested in. I was hit in 2013. No fault of my own. I argued with the agent I lost value. I said it will show up on carfax that I have an accident and it will hurt my resale so I am not left whole. They said "we don't sell information to carfax" I was like well they get it somehow don't they. I am pretty sure it hurt me a few thousand when I sold it last month. Also I lived in WV at the time and there was no law about diminished values. I hope this issue is easier to handle these days because it always worries me.

OP
OP
Invictus

Invictus

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat SR
Thank you all for the support, I know I'm not the only one is this boat right now and odds are others will be joining the club down the road. I've never owned a vehicle that was effectively irreplaceable before, lol. It's a different feeling for sure....

So I did install my FITCAMX front dash cam before I even drove off the lot at the dealership (why not, it takes like 2-3 mins) but I planned to install the rear facing camera this weekend since it's a bigger job (not taking any more chances, installed it last night lol). Obviously wish I would have installed it right away on Tuesday as well but even the front cam footage will do. You can see me come to a complete stop, sit for a couple seconds and then a good jolt forward. If she was going any faster she would have pushed me right into the incoming semi that was heading down the road that I was waiting for to pass. I wasn't in one-pedal drive mode so had my foot on the brake, not sure it would have pushed me more forward in one-pedal. Could have definitely been worse.

As for the diminished value claim, I did a good amount of reading last night and it looks like the newer the vehicle the better your chances are but it can be a fight regardless. Since my truck only has like 200 miles on it, I'm going to take a shot. Maybe because both the at fault person and my insurance company are the same (Geico) they will want to take care of me because of the risk of loosing me as a client? I'll update as I go through it all.

Hoping to take it into a shop this next week for damage appraisal and get the parts ordered. Thankfully I can still drive it without issue for now.

Last edited:

ninjaybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Voting for highly rated shop. They will reach out to dealer/ford if needed.
Sponsored