• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Add on trailer brake controller - possible for Lightning?

OP
OP

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
my XLT is here and it's great. it has the max tow package and no brake controller. looking at the ford parts site i can't figure out which one to buy. any suggestions?
Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Literature is sparse. If anyone knows more, please chime in.

If you follow my thread here, I show part numbers of what came with my Lariat SR (a Ford pigtail to nowhere) and the part number for the kit I'm attempting. Once I receive the kit (still on backorder for 2 weeks), I'll install and see if FORScan intervention is required. I would like to think it's not, since the kit includes a new TCM, but we will see.

OP
OP

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Literature is sparse. If anyone knows more, please chime in.

If you follow my thread here, I show part numbers of what came with my Lariat SR (a Ford pigtail to nowhere) and the part number for the kit I'm attempting. Once I receive the kit (still on backorder for 2 weeks), I'll install and see if FORScan intervention is required. I would like to think it's not, since the kit includes a new TCM, but we will see.
thanks for the update!

Gabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2022 XLT ER
Hi guys, Got my Lightning in october (XTL, LR, Tow pkg). I had discussions with my dealership since for a brake controller. Here is there final (!) awnser:
We looked with ford's engineers and we're sorry, there are no compatible hardware proposed by Ford for your Lightning. We don't have any schedule for a brake controller yet.
You should look on the aftermarket if someone could work on it and make things work.

You understood that it's a traduction from french... but it looks like that.

By then, I bought a Curt Bluetooth controller...

Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
My '22 Lariat ER with max tow package has the brake controller built in. And if not, is easy to add; I added it to my '21 PowerBoost, when I was trying out Fords, before ordering a Lightning. Was about $200 parts and labor, works and functions just like the one in my Lightning.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Success!

Enabled the controller on my SR Lariat after just purchasing the switch. To recap, the Lariat came with the TCM under the dash- I only had to order the bias switch itself (part number in my post) and change three registers in ForScan.

Clicky!

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
Yeah, I can't imagine the tow package not including a brake controller, but if for some odd reason it doesn't, I've been using the Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller with my BMW X3 for almost a year and I'm pretty happy with it. The device almost looks like a small scope you stick between the 7-pin connecter and the trailer. The companion app is pretty rough around the edges but it works well enough and I didn't have to mount anything inside the car. On top of that, it's really easy to swap between tow vehicles.
The Curt unit drove me crazy the last two years, cant wait to be rid of it..Glitchy app, lots of false "trailer is disconnected" alerts, blowing 40amp fuses..I think mine was first gen..and the main reason I bought tech tow on my XLT being built this month. But for some vehicles it is the only way
Sponsored