• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any Regrets Getting Tow Mirrors?

2014fx4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 fx4, 2020 hyundai palisade
Hi, those that have tow mirrors, does the passenger side mirror (top mirror) look almost distorted from the drivers seat? My 21 lariat has these mirrors and while driving looking at the mirror the objects look "weird". Thanks.
Sponsored

Portcallahan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F-350
Absolutely love these power folding mirrors and the feature in Sync which automatically folds/unfolds them when locking/unlocking the truck.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Absolutely love these power folding mirrors and the feature in Sync which automatically folds/unfolds them when locking/unlocking the truck.
Wouldn’t it make more sense if they auto-folded when putting the truck in park?

Portcallahan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F-350
Wouldn’t it make more sense if they auto-folded when putting the truck in park?
Not in certain instances when you’re towing, like launching a boat or driving away after fueling up with a trailer. Situations where you want to check your mirrors before putting in drive.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Not in certain instances when you’re towing, like launching a boat or driving away after fueling up with a trailer. Situations where you want to check your mirrors before putting in drive.
Fair points. How about this then:
- Tow mode = Auto-fold on lock.
- Non-tow mode = Auto-fold shifting into park.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'll give my experiences.

I had standard mirrors, non power, on my '17 XLT. I used full snapover tow mirrors to get the extra wide view when towing. The snapover (not the clip ons) is probably the most stable fit you can get and it still was a little blurry due to vibration, but acceptable. Regarding folding to get into spots, I never really needed to, except for having to roll down my window and manually folding the driver side to get into my own tight garage.

Now I have the tow mirrors on my king ranch, and NO regrets. That being said, I have to power fold them in a lot when parking. Sometimes to get past pillars in garages, sometimes in tighter spaces and I don't want them hit by doors or other drivers, or people walking between our cars. I will say IF I had an XL or XLT, I would really regret them because if I did not have a passenger I'd have to get out to fold the passenger mirror or give up the spot or parking garage altogether.

Regarding the auto-fold feature, I absolutely disable mine, and only use the powerfold button when needed. 95% of the time if you had to fold them to get into the space, you will need to keep them folded until fully OUT of the space as well. No desire for them to unfold automatically when unlocking or starting the ignition and then I have to fold them manually just to back out again. Also don't want to actuate the motors every single time since they likely only last some limited actuations before dying.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I'll give my experiences.

I had standard mirrors, non power, on my '17 XLT. I used full snapover tow mirrors to get the extra wide view when towing. The snapover (not the clip ons) is probably the most stable fit you can get and it still was a little blurry due to vibration, but acceptable. Regarding folding to get into spots, I never really needed to, except for having to roll down my window and manually folding the driver side to get into my own tight garage.

Now I have the tow mirrors on my king ranch, and NO regrets. That being said, I have to power fold them in a lot when parking. Sometimes to get past pillars in garages, sometimes in tighter spaces and I don't want them hit by doors or other drivers, or people walking between our cars. I will say IF I had an XL or XLT, I would really regret them because if I did not have a passenger I'd have to get out to fold the passenger mirror or give up the spot or parking garage altogether.

Regarding the auto-fold feature, I absolutely disable mine, and only use the powerfold button when needed. 95% of the time if you had to fold them to get into the space, you will need to keep them folded until fully OUT of the space as well. No desire for them to unfold automatically when unlocking or starting the ignition and then I have to fold them manually just to back out again. Also don't want to actuate the motors every single time since they likely only last some limited actuations before dying.
Good points!

ramse

First Name
Roni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Occupation
business owner, FEMA, veteran
Love 'em - I don't trailer anything right now, but these trailer mirrors give great visibility and prefer them over the standard mirrors. Had a 2013 F150 and the standard mirrors were a bit larger than the ones that come standard with 2021 F150's.
Ford F-150 Lightning Any Regrets Getting Tow Mirrors? 19643C3F-9679-4781-A80B-7BFEBF57A96F

FSUDrew99

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone installed these on a truck without 360 camera option and then had them programmed to run the side cameras and the original rear camera? Looking at a pair from ford but they all come with the camera on the all power option. Just want to see if I can make the side cameras work since they come on the mirrors.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Has anyone installed these on a truck without 360 camera option and then had them programmed to run the side cameras and the original rear camera? Looking at a pair from ford but they all come with the camera on the all power option. Just want to see if I can make the side cameras work since they come on the mirrors.
I had my tow mirrors installed yesterday at a dealer and they were unable to activate the mirror marker/running lights using their software, let alone add camera functionality. Anyone who adds these mirrors after purchase should be aware that the swap DOES require Forscan programming to activate, at the very least, the factory mirror marker/running lights (if that's important to you). So budget another ~$75 for the Forscan connector and software license plus another several hours of learning all about Forscan (what I'm doing today) if you want the mirrors to work right. Again, my dealer can't change mirror types/functions in their software and I called another dealer and same story. Else, all other functions that the came with the standard mirrors were plug'n'play.

Sponsored

FSUDrew99

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
I had my tow mirrors installed yesterday at a dealer and they were unable to activate the mirror marker/running lights using their software, let alone add camera functionality. Anyone who adds these mirrors after purchase should be aware that the swap DOES require Forscan programming to activate, at the very least, the factory mirror marker/running lights (if that's important to you). So budget another ~$75 for the Forscan connector and software license plus another several hours of learning all about Forscan (what I'm doing today) if you want the mirrors to work right. Again, my dealer can't change mirror types/functions in their software and I called another dealer and same story. Else, all other functions that the came with the standard mirrors were plug'n'play.
Thanks for the reply.....

So the amber running light on the side will not work with the trucks running lights is what you are getting at?

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Thanks for the reply.....

So the amber running light on the side will not work with the trucks running lights is what you are getting at?
Correct. Everything else work. Personally, I really like/want the amber running lights to work.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Same here….. hopefully they can make it work on mine. Gotta be a way.
But please PM me and/or post up here if your dealer can actually make them work unlike mine...
Sponsored