• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any Regrets Getting Tow Mirrors?

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
Had them on my 2018 and now on the 2021. I would not have a truck without, its so nice to be able to look quick and have a great side view and not miss anything. And when towing which we do often just pull the mirror out for a nice full view. To me the F150 looks like a wimpy truck with the standard car size mirror, I test drove one and hated it.

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
Why okay on Superduty and not F-150? The F-150 Cab and Superduty cabs are identical, out of the exact same stamping. The Superduty has not been updated yet for the 2021 F-150 changes, but they share cab sizes to the exact millimeter, because they are the same. Some interior and exterior details are changed with respect to fenders and hoods, grilles and lighting, and certain dash details, but the underlying cab is the same. The chassis that the bolt to are different, but even there, I put my F-350 next to my F-150, only 1.5 inches in height due to suspension and chassis thickness, no difference in width or length (assuming equal length beds - you can get an 8' bed in a Superduty, not in an F-150).

I made the mistake of not getting the towing mirrors in a 20210 Platinum F-150 after having them on a 2006 F-250 - never again. Have had them on Five trucks since then. Seems the incoming LIghtning may require an exception.
I know about the same cab and all, and like i said i have them ordered too. But when i saw the two 2021 f150s with those mirrors-they did seem rather large, my first reaction was, damn did i make i mistake of going with tow mirrors. Maybe they’ll grow on me rather quickly, i can not say now. Time will tell.

SPARKY150

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Electrician
Just ordered a ‘22 SCrew 4x4 PB Lariat 5.5’-box w/ Trailer Tow package & tow mirrors. Most threads on this forum regarding tow mirrors are very one-sided: You didn’t get them, wish you had, paying a lot of money now to add them.

I’m curious if there is anyone with the opposite point of view. Anyone purchase a ‘21 F-150 with Trailer Tow mirrors but, after driving the vehicle, regret getting them and wish they had the stock OEM side-mirrors instead?
I love my tow mirrors, I have a 157” so it looks more proportional but I still love the functionality of them. I was on the fence ag first and ordered my truck with out but after a week of thinking about it I changed the order and I am 100% glad that I did!

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
Why okay on Superduty and not F-150? The F-150 Cab and Superduty cabs are identical, out of the exact same stamping. The Superduty has not been updated yet for the 2021 F-150 changes, but they share cab sizes to the exact millimeter, because they are the same. Some interior and exterior details are changed with respect to fenders and hoods, grilles and lighting, and certain dash details, but the underlying cab is the same. The chassis that the bolt to are different, but even there, I put my F-350 next to my F-150, only 1.5 inches in height due to suspension and chassis thickness, no difference in width or length (assuming equal length beds - you can get an 8' bed in a Superduty, not in an F-150).

I made the mistake of not getting the towing mirrors in a 20210 Platinum F-150 after having them on a 2006 F-250 - never again. Have had them on Five trucks since then. Seems the incoming LIghtning may require an exception.
The cab is the same but the front clip is bigger which allows the big mirrors to "fit" / look better.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this decision. After days of going back and forth, I think I’ve made a final choice. For me, in my area, based on what the truck will be used for (commuting, errands, parking lots, local towing short distances on narrow 2-lane roads, rarely towing any real distances), and considering all the additional technology incorporated into the truck, the standard mirrors are best. I can always look to add clip-on extensions as necessary for any long hauls.

Kilo5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PB, Lariat, SCrew, FX4
Just ordered a ‘22 SCrew 4x4 PB Lariat 5.5’-box w/ Trailer Tow package & tow mirrors. Most threads on this forum regarding tow mirrors are very one-sided: You didn’t get them, wish you had, paying a lot of money now to add them.

I’m curious if there is anyone with the opposite point of view. Anyone purchase a ‘21 F-150 with Trailer Tow mirrors but, after driving the vehicle, regret getting them and wish they had the stock OEM side-mirrors instead?
I have no regrets having the tow mirrors. I didn't care for the small stock mirrors and tow mirrors are required in most states if you plan to tow.

Detroit87

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sub station operator

I have a 2019 with tow mirrors. Not power. Gotta fold them in in tight spots and when I'm in the woods up hunting. Can be a pain doing in manually all the time. I'm sure power would be better. The viewing area sure is nice with the big mirrors.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Life is funny. Ordered the truck with the tow mirrors on 12/23. Wife and I decided over the holiday to change the build and remove the tow mirrors. Dealer called this morning . . . F-150 with tow mirrors on the lot. Fast forward, raced over and test drove a standard-mirror F-150 and a tow-mirror F-150. --> Keeping the tow mirrors!

Not as obtrusive as I thought they would be, while providing a much better view. Sorta wish the standard/stock mirrors simply had a slight convex shape to them - that would be an ideal, hybrid solution. Given the two choices - stock v tow - going with the tow mirrors. Thanks again everyone!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Life is funny. Ordered the truck with the tow mirrors on 12/23. Wife and I decided over the holiday to change the build and remove the tow mirrors. Dealer called this morning . . . F-150 with tow mirrors on the lot. Fast forward, raced over and test drove a standard-mirror F-150 and a tow-mirror F-150. --> Keeping the tow mirrors!

Not as obtrusive as I thought they would be, while providing a much better view. Sorta wish the standard/stock mirrors simply had a slight convex shape to them - that would be an ideal, hybrid solution. Given the two choices - stock v tow - going with the tow mirrors. Thanks again everyone!
Ford F-150 Lightning Any Regrets Getting Tow Mirrors? 200

Sponsored

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2019 Expedition
Nope, not at all. Once I had them, I can not go without!

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
My old '06 F-150 had tow mirrors (off an '11MY) and LOVED THEM - no way I can go without them now. Ordered tow mirrors the day I picked up my '21. They should be here any day. Question for you guys: this is my first ever new vehicle... should I pay the dealer to install them? Does that mean they'd be covered under the full warranty? I repaired and upgraded and maintained my last truck 100% myself so trying to adjust to the new vehicle/warranty mindset. Thanks!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
TT mirrors weren't an option when I bought my 2005 F150 XLT. After driving it a year without, I installed the exact-fit OE 2006MY TT mirrors (TascaParts made that an economically viable swap back in those days) and never looked back ;)

I've had miles with each option, never regretted the swap to the TT mirrors (in fact love them, with and without the trailer hitched), I'm looking forward to having them with power-fold on my 2022 Lariat.

When I test-drove a 2021 without them I felt blind in comparison, and that without a trailer of course.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
My old '06 F-150 had tow mirrors (off an '11MY) and LOVED THEM - no way I can go without them now. Ordered tow mirrors the day I picked up my '21. They should be here any day. Question for you guys: this is my first ever new vehicle... should I pay the dealer to install them? Does that mean they'd be covered under the full warranty? I repaired and upgraded and maintained my last truck 100% myself so trying to adjust to the new vehicle/warranty mindset. Thanks!
Its a quick easy job, pop the inside trim off, remove plug, remove the nuts off the studs, then reverse process. I would hate to see what the dealer would charge.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 XLT, SuperCab, 4x4, 8' bed, HDPP
Occupation
retired
I like Tow Mirrors even when not towing. I like the extra large viewing area. My ;18 Fusion has what I would call "petite" mirrors. I do not get enough view of what's behind me with them.
Sponsored