• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Are there any new features, looks or anything on 2023 Lightning compared to 2022?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
We don't know what Ford is doing here. I'm not sure Ford knows what they're doing. The Sync system in the '22 and '23 Lightning runs on top of Android. Actually all Sync 4 units do and some of the more recent Sync 3 units as well.

But I think what many of us were hoping for is that Ford would integrate a full Android based UI system complete with Play Store access and all the other features we could benefit from in terms of communications and contacts, navigation, etc.. As GM has done with the latest Silverado pickup refresh or is offering in the Hummer EV. I think that is their plan to do away with Sync and go that route. We just don't know when... if... whatever... Knowing Ford, they will introduce it when they bring out their ground-up EV pickup design or when they give us the 2nd-generation Mach-E, or something major like that. I think the Lightning would have been a great time to give us this system, but it obviously wasn't ready yet and the Lightning is just expanding from the existing Mach-E platform, adapting to the existing F-150 design.

The 22 and 23 system(current sync system) runs onto of Blackberry QNX architecture NOT Android. The shift to Android will be a big change...

https://obj.ca/ford-drops-blackberry-qnx-infotainment-platform-inks-deal-with-google/
Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
The 22 and 23 system(current sync system) runs onto of Blackberry QNX architecture NOT Android. The shift to Android will be a big change...
I should have clarified some more and rereading what I wrote, it's not good. Yes, Sync 3 and 4 are indeed running on QNX. You can search my posts and see I've addressed this before -- lots of posts about it in some of the Android / Sync / QNX discussions. But Ford's latest Sync integrations, predominantly the Mach-E and Lightning with their 15" displays, have Android running in some capacity at a lower level. If you connect to it remotely, pull a core dump or launch the system in debug mode, it reports Android and version numbers indicative of the Android Open Source Project.

They're not running full Android by any means. This could be part of the QNX ability to run Linux and Android "guest" virtualizations. And part of their Digital Cockpit program for automakers to quickly deploy user/vehicle interfaces, which puts a lot of focus on Blackberry QNX cooperation with the Android Open Source Project.

What does this mean? Probably nothing as far as us customers are concerned. These systems are not up to spec to run the upcoming full Android system Ford keeps teasing and I'm 99% sure we won't be able to upgrade to it. Ford has said we won't be able to back in April and that the new system won't be available until late '23 now at the earliest. Which means on 2024 vehicles, maybe, I guess. I'm betting they give us some significant updates to the 2024 Mach-E and this will be one of them.

The TL;DR version was I was trying to say that there's evidence of base-level Android operation on these latest Sync systems. And I did a rather poor job articulating that.

Captain337

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning PRO
I believe all 23 F150s have a unique 70th Anniversary logo on windshield (replacing Ford logo) as well as the startup screen animation.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I should have clarified some more and rereading what I wrote, it's not good. Yes, Sync 3 and 4 are indeed running on QNX. You can search my posts and see I've addressed this before -- lots of posts about it in some of the Android / Sync / QNX discussions. But Ford's latest Sync integrations, predominantly the Mach-E and Lightning with their 15" displays, have Android running in some capacity at a lower level. If you connect to it remotely, pull a core dump or launch the system in debug mode, it reports Android and version numbers indicative of the Android Open Source Project.

They're not running full Android by any means. This could be part of the QNX ability to run Linux and Android "guest" virtualizations. And part of their Digital Cockpit program for automakers to quickly deploy user/vehicle interfaces, which puts a lot of focus on Blackberry QNX cooperation with the Android Open Source Project.

What does this mean? Probably nothing as far as us customers are concerned. These systems are not up to spec to run the upcoming full Android system Ford keeps teasing and I'm 99% sure we won't be able to upgrade to it. Ford has said we won't be able to back in April and that the new system won't be available until late '23 now at the earliest. Which means on 2024 vehicles, maybe, I guess. I'm betting they give us some significant updates to the 2024 Mach-E and this will be one of them.

The TL;DR version was I was trying to say that there's evidence of base-level Android operation on these latest Sync systems. And I did a rather poor job articulating that.
So Android is running in a sandbox ?
Guess it's a safe way to use / test out Android's OS.

Sponsored

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat

Jml91

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Wastewater Collections Technician
I thought I saw a video recently where the passenger dash does not have a little shelf above the glove box. My MY23 has it. Almost like a little storage compartment that’s open

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red