• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Auto-dimming rear/side mirror

baker158

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
2022 Lariat with Blue Cruise:

In the situation where I am driving at night with oncoming lights, and zero/low incoming lights from behind, my mirrors darken to 100% and are unusable. While they are supposed to lighten in reverse, this seems to not always happen, which makes navigating some smaller roads tricky. This also makes changing lanes on a larger highway more reliant on the proximity sensors of the truck.

I've isolated this problem to the IR emitters for blue cruise that sit to the left of the large digital screen. If I cover them up with my hand, the mirrors lighten, and is 100% repeatable. The emitters are semi visible light, so I can't figure out if they are just bad, or if the mirror is over sensitive.

Does anyone else have this problem/experience?
Is there anyway to just disable this feature?

Thanks
Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I was looking for the same thing a few days ago. Never found a way to disable the auto-dimming feature. In my case, I have 5% tint, so I don't need the autodimming. In fact it makes the mirror worthless at night. šŸ˜‰

VeganF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum
I have a different problem where only my drivers side mirror auto dims and the passenger side doesnā€™t? Might have to call dealer for fix

OP
OP

baker158

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have a different problem where only my drivers side mirror auto dims and the passenger side doesnā€™t? Might have to call dealer for fix
From everything I read, the passenger side mirror on Ford vehicles do not auto-dim anymore.

Sponsored

cobraowner

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cobra Convertible, 2022 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Owner
Iā€™m seeing the same thing with my mirrors (center and driver ) going to 100% darkened with no cars anywhere near me. I was wondering if the blue cruise module might be affecting itā€¦..

if I drive into a well lit area they lighten up when they see enough ambient light in front. they also lighten up when I put my hand over front mirror sensor. I havenā€™t tried covering up the blue cruise module.

i asked the dealer but they didnt see anything wrong yet. This might be something to keep pushing with ford.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The auto-dimming mirror I have in my Pilot dims as soon as the light level goes down. Similar to auto-head lights. There's a light sensor on the back of the mirror (which faces forward), doesn't detect anything coming from behind. I'm guessing these are working the same. It's night, therefore I dim.

cobraowner

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cobra Convertible, 2022 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Owner
I played around with the truck a bit tonight and covering both bluecruise emitters caused the mirrors to lighten up correctly

it is 100% a crappy design by ford with brue cruise and the auto dimming mirror sensors.
now to see if ford will ever rectify it

I brought it up to my dealer and they really donā€™t seem to know.

93taurussho

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Pinging this old topic as I'm having the same issue with my new-to-me 2022 Lariat. Are others experiencing the same issue?

Does covering the IR emitters work well, and what negative effects happen from blocking those emitters?

Thanks all!!
Sponsored