• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery cooling - max tow versus standard tow?

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
True. But the majority are not. Been on a truck forum for 9 years now, and the towing questions that get posed are quite alarming.
I left all of the truck groups I was in on Facebook as well as the forums. After a dozen or so posts from the diesel Colorado owners trying to tow a gooseneck trailer and stating 7700lbs limit is just limited by the lib government, and a handful of gun/political posts I realized it was time to go.

FB is a cancer.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I've seen a few threads mentioning noise issues. Or just folks noticing extra noise's in some trucks. One or two of them mentioned suspicion that the extra cooling with max tow could be the cause of that extra noise. I have no idea if that is root cause of any noise but it has come up once or twice.
I have a limited sample to compare, however, I've noticed no noise difference between my Pro with Max Tow and the Lariat Demo I test drove that didn't have it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Is better cooling/more efficient cooling a big deal for the motor/batteries in electric vehicles?
Yes, but Ford wouldn't release a truck that with standard equipment would fail.
Ford did release the Shelby GT350 "Track Ready" without the cooling needed to actually use it on a track (2015 and 2016).

After all of the issues we had with thermal management with our Mach-e GT, I absolutely went with the extra cooling on the Lightning. No issues so far!

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Looking at a dealer demo that has come down in price, but one downside is that it does not have max tow.

Since I don’t have specific needs for towing, just the future potential perhaps, how important is the extra cooling performance for the battery and DC fast charging? For those of you without max tow, have you noticed extra compressor cycling to handle the cabin & batteries? How does it perform on a fast charger? Just trying to understand how important this cooling option is in normal operation without towing heavy loads.
I think EV purchases in 2023 need to be made with an eye toward the future: software updates will happen as operating data accumulates. As 350kW+ DC fastcharging becomes commonplace, and if data-from-experience confirms safe charging at higher power levels, software updates will allow faster level 3 charging to the limits of the cooling hardware. More battery cooling is always better, whether during discharge (towing/hard driving) or fast DC charging. Field-upgrading battery cooling hardware with not be a possibility. I would (and did) order/buy it today, with 2025 in mind.
Sponsored