• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best procedure for long term vehicle storage?

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
Hello group. I am storing my Lariat ER for several months. The Ford manual under 'Preparing Your Vehicle for Storage' recommends that when storing the vehicle for more than 30 days the state of charge should be 50% and they recommend disconnecting the 12 volt battery 'which will reduce system loads on the HV battery'. I did search the forum and see some discussion but to be clear does this mean we do NOT connect the LV2 charger, then disconnect the 12v battery - LEAVING the frunk open - and maybe put the 12v battery on a trickle charger to maintain it. It sure seems like this is what is being suggested, rather than leaving the Lightning on the charger with the charge limit set at 50%. If it does - I cant think of a safe way of removing the 12v battery with the HV charger attached to the pickup. Remove the 12v and then attach the LV2 charger - does it work with the 12V removed??
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Do NOT connect to a car charger.

Do NOT leave the frunk open, there is no reason to.

Yes, you can put the 12v battery on a trickle charger if you want. Attach trickle charger, close frunk manually.

When you return, use key to open door if locked, pull manual frunk release.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
With later software revisions, the truck is supposed to keep the 12V battery charged up within a certain operational range. I wouldn't worry about disconnecting it or placing it on a separate charger unless you're going to be gone for more than 6 months or if paranoia is getting the best of you. I'd just keep the truck plugged in to whatever L2 charger you normally use... Set the charge limit to 50%, set charging window -- like at night during low cost/ time of use benefits, if needed -- and it should be just fine.

If you are unable to leave the truck connected to a L2 charger, then I would consider having the main battery charged to 50~75%, and then disconnect the 12V battery and keep it on a battery tender if you can.

I would actually set a charge schedule that only tops off the battery every 10 days or so. The truck does not bleed off power very quickly. Especially if garaged and it doesn't need to keep the battery from freezing.

120V charging for the HVB is perfectly adequate for storage, it does not have to be 240V.

I would not trust the Ford mobile connector for long-term storage. That thing errors out with an orange light often for no good reason. It's just too flakey.

OP
OP
Barrels

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
Do NOT connect to a car charger.

Do NOT leave the frunk open, there is no reason to.

Yes, you can put the 12v battery on a trickle charger if you want. Attach trickle charger, close frunk manually.

When you return, use key to open door if locked, pull manual frunk release.

Thanks Frunkmaster.

Well, the first two replies give two different suggestions - you are strongly (bold) suggesting not to leave it on the charger and the next one suggests to do that.

Can you help me with a why not? Is it the possibility of a charger or other failure?

Thanks
With later software revisions, the truck is supposed to keep the 12V battery charged up within a certain operational range. I wouldn't worry about disconnecting it or placing it on a separate charger unless you're going to be gone for more than 6 months or if paranoia is getting the best of you. I'd just keep the truck plugged in to whatever L2 charger you normally use... Set the charge limit to 50%, set charging window -- like at night during low cost/ time of use benefits, if needed -- and it should be just fine.

If you are unable to leave the truck connected to a L2 charger, then I would consider having the main battery charged to 50~75%, and then disconnect the 12V battery and keep it on a battery tender if you can.

I would actually set a charge schedule that only tops off the battery every 10 days or so. The truck does not bleed off power very quickly. Especially if garaged and it doesn't need to keep the battery from freezing.

120V charging for the HVB is perfectly adequate for storage, it does not have to be 240V.

I would not trust the Ford mobile connector for long-term storage. That thing errors out with an orange light often for no good reason. It's just too flakey.
/thanks Monkey

If I do this, would you remove the charging cord, then remove the 12v and then re-attach the charging cord (in my case a L2)? And the truck is ok charging without the 12v?

Thanks

Barrels

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
/thanks Monkey

If I do this, would you remove the charging cord, then remove the 12v and then re-attach the charging cord (in my case a L2)? And the truck is ok charging without the 12v?
I would only disconnect the 12V if you're going to store the truck without being connected to the L2 charger. I don't believe the truck will charge without the 12V in place to power and manage all the systems.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

The 12v battery gets charged in 2 ways. One, driving truck. Two, while actively charging. It does not charge the 12v battery when the truck is just plugged in.

What charging schedule can you set to charge every 10 days? Can't. And unnecessary.

Follow the manual, disconnect 12v. Put on a battery tender if you would like.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Barrels, you said you were disconnecting the 12v. Therefore do not leave it on a Car charger, i.e. one that charges the high voltage battery.

Yes, put the 12v, disconnected, on a trickle charger.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Just to be clear. Once the 12V battery is disconnected, none of the truck’s systems will operate. This includes the on board charger. Plugging the truck in won’t do anything, good or bad.

OP
OP
Barrels

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
Just to be clear. Once the 12V battery is disconnected, none of the truck’s systems will operate. This includes the on board charger. Plugging the truck in won’t do anything, good or bad.
Aha. That is what I suspected. Thanks.

OP
OP
Barrels

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
@Barrels, you said you were disconnecting the 12v. Therefore do not leave it on a Car charger, i.e. one that charges the high voltage battery.

Yes, put the 12v, disconnected, on a trickle charger.
oh no, I would never put the 12v on a car charger. (LV1, LV2 etc) Thks

Sponsored
OP
OP
Barrels

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
I would only disconnect the 12V if you're going to store the truck without being connected to the L2 charger. I don't believe the truck will charge without the 12V in place to power and manage all the systems.
thanks Monkey

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
oh no, I would never put the 12v on a car charger. (LV1, LV2 etc) Thks
You are not understanding.

Do not charge the car with a Level 2 charger if the 12v is disconnected. It will do nothing.

Do what Ford tells you to. Leave HVB at 50%. Disconnect the 12v battery.

Then, if you want to, put the 12v on a trickle charger.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
You are not understanding.

Do not charge the car with a Level 2 charger if the 12v is disconnected. It will do nothing.

Do what Ford tells you to. Leave HVB at 50%. Disconnect the 12v battery.

Then, if you want to, put the 12v on a trickle charger.
This is the way

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Simple Solution: Have your next door neighbor drive the thing to the grocery store once a month.
Couldn't pay me to allow my neighbor(s) to do that.
Sponsored