• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blue Cruise turns off when passing through cashless tolls on NYS Thruway….and small roar trip data.

Dakovich

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning LER
Did a quick trip from our home in Buffalo over to Rochester, NY and back today. 5 of us, temps in the high 80’s to low 90’s, minimal other cargo. We used Bluecruise where able, windows closed and enough AC to keep us comfortable and the kids from complaining. I drove the speed limit, and occasionally slightly below when following slower traffic…which is NOT my MO for driving. I’m usually a 10pm over guy, my kids were really confused “is dad ok?!”. I’ll post the pics of the data from the truck on the first leg Buf-Roc, and the continuation leg back home (total trip Buf-Roc-Buf).

BUT, the weird thing we noticed was that Bluecruise requires you to be hands on when passing under any NYS cashless toll cameras. Kicks off about 100 yards before, then resumes hands-off about 100 yards after the toll. The wife and I assumed it had to do with possible liability issues where Ford wants you to be shown as in control of the vehicle (hands on wheel) as your picture is taken while passing through the toll towers.

Ford F-150 Lightning Blue Cruise turns off when passing through cashless tolls on NYS Thruway….and small roar trip data. DD21F45F-8FA1-4C13-B9B2-990D98F5F349

Ford F-150 Lightning Blue Cruise turns off when passing through cashless tolls on NYS Thruway….and small roar trip data. CCBDFE3A-45DE-494A-AD49-E9885BBC352A

Ford F-150 Lightning Blue Cruise turns off when passing through cashless tolls on NYS Thruway….and small roar trip data. 71D2F9AA-64CB-43FE-91E4-C97DD5BF6D44
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
BUT, the weird thing we noticed was that Bluecruise requires you to be hands on when passing under any NYS cashless toll cameras. Kicks off about 100 yards before, then resumes hands-off about 100 yards after the toll. The wife and I assumed it had to do with possible liability issues where Ford wants you to be shown as in control of the vehicle (hands on wheel) as your picture is taken while passing through the toll towers.
We have noticed the same thing in our Mach-e. I have 3 theories

1) Same as yours

2) The new cashless tolls were put in after Ford pre-mapped the highway. The system sees a difference and asks for hands on.

3) the switch from dashed to solid lines triggers it.

I wasn't playing close attention, but I don't think the systems in Massachusetts kicked it out of hands free...

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Yep, also randomly requires driver take-over when passing over some interstate intersections, for no apparent reason. It is just nervous all the time.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
We have noticed the same thing in our Mach-e. I have 3 theories

1) Same as yours

2) The new cashless tolls were put in after Ford pre-mapped the highway. The system sees a difference and asks for hands on.

3) the switch from dashed to solid lines triggers it.

I wasn't playing close attention, but I don't think the systems in Massachusetts kicked it out of hands free...
I've had it drop out for toll plazas that have always been part of the road. I have had it drop out in sections of road that were under construction at various times in the last couple years. Clearly those are spots that were never mapped or removed from the maps due to the work being done.

I hadn't considered the idea about the camera but I find that unlikely because 1) if it wasn't legal Ford wouldn't have the feature and 2) you could have a hand on the bottom of the wheel and it wouldn't be seen on the photo.

I think it's more likely that the tag reading technology of the toll lanes could interfere with some of the BlueCruise systems. Or maybe Ford suspects they could and is just being cautious.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I doubt the toll cameras take YOUR picture, it's just the rear/plate...

Sponsored

JRTN34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, 2020 Tesla Model Y
I noticed it dropping out at the toll cameras in both NY and MA. At least the lane keeping system stays active, you just need to put your hand on the wheel for a minute to pass the toll. Still annoying, but far from the biggest annoyance.

AT193

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning - Lariat SR - Antimatter Blue
Just finished up a weekend of road tripping as well. Absolutely loved the Blue Cruise hands free!! The truck essentially drove 90% of the way and made it a very enjoyable time.

I did notice the toll area dropout as well. I didn't think it was a big deal since the truck has such a clear visual cue on the front screen when it changes back to regular blue cruise from hands free.

I also use the hands free to drive 75% of my commute each day, and have noticed that similar to other assisted driving that I've used in the past it doesn't do a great job with people cutting infront at less than a car length of space, especially when in traffic that is slowing down. This happens more often than you'd think, and I need to take control quickly to hit the brakes since the truck doesn't respond quick enough in my opinion. Btw, this is 100% a human problem, and not a vehicle problem, people need to learn how to drive...or maybe we just need to eliminate the people from driving all together 😂😂

My assumption with the toll plaza dropout was that it's related to this. Compared to open stretches of road and regular on/off ramps, the lead up to toll plazas probably has the most chance of last minute lane changing, and that includes the cashless drive through lanes as well. I've seen a lot of people skrrrt in/out of those lanes at the very last second when they realize they are in the wrong lane. Makes sense to me for now thay the truck just wants to have a second set of eyes on the road. It's not like it kicks you out of lane keeping or speed control, just wants to make sure you're paying attention as well.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’ve seen the same high speed toll plaza issue in NH. I was wondering if the toll cameras or readers mess with the sensors in the truck?

Mine also dropped out on relatively sharp high speed turns, it probably happened 4-5 times running up and down I-93 in NH. Otherwise it’s been awesome. I didn’t realize how great it would be in stop and go traffic. Yes, you need to pay attention when people cut in front of you. Which happens a lot in MA but it’s still way better than the continuous swapping between the gas and brake. I’m loving it!
Sponsored