• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Central TX camping?!

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
Looking for recommendations on state parks or camping spots in general that offer 30 or 50a hookups.

Was looking at Garner but it’s full up, sadly.

So where have you been Site recommendations? Time of year?
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Beware, 30A often means a 120V 30A TT-30 receptacle. The truck will only Level 1 charge at 12A maximum. It's fine if you're going to be hooked up there for a few days. (50% charge in about two days)

OP
OP
thedadlegend

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
Beware, 30A often means a 120V 30A TT-30 receptacle. The truck will only Level 1 charge at 12A maximum. It's fine if you're going to be hooked up there for a few days. (50% charge in about two days)
yep, plan to be there for two nights

Will I need a whole new charger or just an adapter to the ford mobile charger?

they had 50 amp spots but i didn’t want to be surrounded by RVs

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
50A makes life so much easier though. I was of the same mind ( away from RV ) but the 50A that can plug direct without an adapter is so much better time wise.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Will I need a whole new charger or just an adapter to the ford mobile charger?
First maybe make sure what type of 30A receptacle is available. Is it 120V or 240V?

You'd need an adapter to use a TT-30 receptacle. My point was that having 30A@120V available is of no real benefit for charging. Plug the Ford Mobile into a standard 120V 15A or 20A receptacle that is almost certain to be right there on the pedestal at the campsite. And, realize that it will be real slow.

Here's what a TT-30P to 5-20R adapter would look like. The clear end is three standard household outlets. Again, you won't need it if you have access to a standard household outlet:

https://www.amazon.com/Rophor-Adapter-Generator-TT-30P-Lighted/dp/B09V4T6R66/

Sponsored
OP
OP
thedadlegend

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
Nice - I'll probably get an adapter. For some reason I thought there was a fire/safety issue with trying to use the Ford Mobile on the TT-30... I will probably get a full charge, then drive 90 miles to the site, so I shouldn't need a 50amp except for peace of mind.

OP
OP
thedadlegend

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
First maybe make sure what type of 30A receptacle is available. Is it 120V or 240V?

You'd need an adapter to use a TT-30 receptacle. My point was that having 30A@120V available is of no real benefit for charging. Plug the Ford Mobile into a standard 120V 15A or 20A receptacle that is almost certain to be right there on the pedestal at the campsite. And, realize that it will be real slow.

Here's what a TT-30P to 5-20R adapter would look like. The clear end is three standard household outlets. Again, you won't need it if you have access to a standard household outlet:

https://www.amazon.com/Rophor-Adapter-Generator-TT-30P-Lighted/dp/B09V4T6R66/
Actually, will this work as it says input voltage must be 240 (edit - I was looking at a splitvolt charger not this adapter, oops)

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Actually, will this work as it says input voltage must be 240
If you’re using the Ford Mobile, you’ll need to change out the removable 240V plug on the body of the unit. There should have been two with the unit. Put the 120V one with the standard house plug firmly into the unit. Plug it in and try charging at home before you travel to get an idea. You should be fine driving 90 miles with no adapter if you learn how to use the Mobile on standard household receptacles.

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Maybe make the RV parking spot the basecamp and do some hike in camping in the backcountry.
Favorites are always:
- Garner
- Inks Lake
- Enchanted Rock*
- some of the "state natural areas" but they usually don't have hookups
- you can also checkout hipcamp

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I highly recommend Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The scenery is breathtaking and they have NEMA 14-50 50 amp outlets. If you’re into history, there was a famous Indian battle in the canyon during the Red River War.

OP
OP
thedadlegend

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
I highly recommend Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The scenery is breathtaking and they have NEMA 14-50 50 amp outlets. If you’re into history, there was a famous Indian battle in the canyon during the Red River War.
I’ve heard this!! I think I will plan for it. When’s a good time to go?
Sponsored