• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge in motion

Golden Mustache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reservation
Saw a video of a Rivian and a gas powered F-150 comparing the cost difference between the two when they are towing.

The results didn’t interest me but figuring out a solution to the shitty mileage EVs get when they are towing did.

I understand we’re at the beginning of all this this but it shouldn’t be long before a battery comes built into the front of a trailer which would allow the truck to charge in motion.

When that day comes it feels like an oversight to have these trucks charging up front on their sides.

Anything stopping manufactures from a rear charge port? Short of it being a safety / regulatory issue all electric pickups should charge out back.
Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Airstream concept of powered travel trailer that could be incorporated in other trailering:
https://www.airstream.com/air-lab/concepts/estream/
"Driving: Leading-Edge Aerodynamics, Unparalleled Safety and Performance
With a full powertrain integrated into the chassis, the eStream works hand in hand with the tow vehicle to optimize the towing experience. A drive axle with dual motors works actively to extend towing range, while advanced sensors and stability controls means no need for a weight distribution hitch. Relocating the rooftop features inside the body further reduces drag, resulting in one of the most aerodynamic travel trailers Airstream has ever produced."
-also, remote control maneuvering for parking it!

So, truck gets full battery mileage. It will be interesting to see how many charging stations can handle charging both at once, although the remote control would allow it to be disconnected an backed into a second charge station!

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
All great ideas but still impractical for long range towing. The best bet would be to put a 100 kw generator in the trailer. No matter what, the price of your trailer just doubled or maybe more so it would probably be cheaper to buy an extra F250 when you need to pull something. .

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
All great ideas but still impractical for long range towing. The best bet would be to put a 100 kw generator in the trailer. No matter what, the price of your trailer just doubled or maybe more so it would probably be cheaper to buy an extra F250 when you need to pull something. .
I thought the point was to get away from ICE, like a generator, defeats the whole idea doesn't it? Also, a 100KW genset would weight in at around 4000 lbs. and burn gas or diesel.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
I thought the point was to get away from ICE, like a generator, defeats the whole idea doesn't it? Also, a 100KW genset would weight in at around 4000 lbs. and burn gas or diesel.

You should still use the best most practical tool for the job.

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Exactly, if you are buying an electric truck to haul heavy loads any real distance it’s kind of like hammering a nail with an impact driver.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Like a Big Wind Generator in the Bed and drive really fast

Or an extension cord connected from bed 240v to the charge port (for our perpetual motion believers)

Or a fusion generator?

In reality, there is currently no feasible "free-energy" source that extend EV range on the market other than extra batteries. Even those will only be partly effective because of cost and weight. Presently, they may be a good alternative for long-haul trucking when diesel costs exceed the costs of battery power and costs can be passed on to consumers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It's pretty impractical with today's technology to charge on the fly. The right way to do this IMO would be for the towed vehicle to utilize regeneration from the tire rotation, and feed the towing vehicle that surplus. It wouldn't be much, but it would be something. It wouldn't "charge", it would feed surplus energy.

Many aren't really aware of how much energy a vehicle uses at 70mph, especially when towing, as compared to how much energy is put back into the battery with level 2 towing. Many level 2 chargers at places like hotels have paltry output. One I stayed in recently was 4.8kW. My home charger puts out close to 11.5kW at 48amps. Even then, in an hour I'd get maybe 12 minutes of highway range towing.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
It's pretty impractical with today's technology to charge on the fly. The right way to do this IMO would be for the towed vehicle to utilize regeneration from the tire rotation, and feed the towing vehicle that surplus. It wouldn't be much, but it would be something. It wouldn't "charge", it would feed surplus energy.

Many aren't really aware of how much energy a vehicle uses at 70mph, especially when towing, as compared to how much energy is put back into the battery with level 2 towing. Many level 2 chargers at places like hotels have paltry output. One I stayed in recently was 4.8kW. My home charger puts out close to 11.5kW at 48amps. Even then, in an hour I'd get maybe 12 minutes of highway range towing.
Like some, I have been busy planning my "break-in" Lightning trip. Searching for motels/hotels that offer charging yields little info (including next to nothing on k/hr rates). I have come to conclusion to just go for the best hotel value like before and try to fast charge close to a restaurant or take-out while charging.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Like some, I have been busy planning my "break-in" Lightning trip. Searching for motels/hotels that offer charging yields little info (including next to nothing on k/hr rates). I have come to conclusion to just go for the best hotel value like before and try to fast charge close to a restaurant or take-out while charging.
Best methods I have seen for this is unfortunately a 2 step process.

Look up hotels via hotels.com which lets you filter for EV charging as an ammenity

After finding a hotel, look it on on Plugshare where you an get all of the relavant information about the charger (for the most part).

Charging rate isn't as important at a L2 hotel charger as (in theory) you will be there a long time. That said, with a big battery like the Lightning has, you may not get back to 100% by the morning...

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Best methods I have seen for this is unfortunately a 2 step process.

Look up hotels via hotels.com which lets you filter for EV charging as an ammenity

After finding a hotel, look it on on Plugshare where you an get all of the relavant information about the charger (for the most part).

Charging rate isn't as important at a L2 hotel charger as (in theory) you will be there a long time. That said, with a big battery like the Lightning has, you may not get back to 100% by the morning...
Very true based on the size of lightning battery, and not helped by the fact that many of these EVSE's are powered with a 208Vac supply instead of 240Vac supply like most have at home, so power will be reduced at same current that might be as little as 30A.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist

Well that breaks a physics law or two.

There would be no "surplus" energy. Towing a vehicle with the breaks on essentially.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
PlugShare lets you filter on hotels. As far as charging speed, you'll see that if someone's put it in.

Many hotel chargers are slow. One we stayed at was 5.3kW, but only 4.8kW to the vehicle. That wouldn't fully charge the 88kWh Mach-E battery overnight, it's sure not going to charge a 131kWh battery either.

Also keep in mind COST. You may find a hotel with L2 charging, but it may cost way more than a comparable hotel with no charging. In that case, you might be better off fast charging, and paying less for a hotel.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well that breaks a physics law or two.

There would be no "surplus" energy. Towing a vehicle with the breaks on essentially.
I think the idea is just to recapture more energy when braking (especially downhill) instead of losing everything from the trailer brakes

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I know many people like and use ABRP - A Better Route Planner, I don't know if they include hotels for charging stops however.
Sponsored