• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge now instead of wait for preferred charge time?

Parsnip

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
On my home charger (Grizzl-E) I have set preferred charge time based on my power providers best rates (11pm - 7am). So usually I plug in and it starts charging at 11 pm. Normally that is fine, but if I get home at 5 and want to top off to run some errands at 7pm, is there a way to to tell the truck to charge now (at 5pm) and not wait until 11 without turning off the preferred charging times? This would be a rare thing for me so I don't want to have to go in and change the settings every time.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
If you have a restrictive time set up in your EVSE, there is nothing you can do in the truck to override it.

OP
OP

Parsnip

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
If you have a restrictive time set up in your EVSE, there is nothing you can do in the truck to override it.
Actually, it is not set up on the charger(my fault, I was unclear above), it is set up in the truck/Ford Pass app as the location. The Grizzl-E is just a dumb charger. I am looking for something like a "charge now" button in the truck or Ford Pass app settings that will override the preferred charging times for that one time.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
On my home charger (Grizzl-E) I have set preferred charge time based on my power providers best rates (11pm - 7am). So usually I plug in and it starts charging at 11 pm. Normally that is fine, but if I get home at 5 and want to top off to run some errands at 7pm, is there a way to to tell the truck to charge now (at 5pm) and not wait until 11 without turning off the preferred charging times? This would be a rare thing for me so I don't want to have to go in and change the settings every time.
For clarity, did you set up your preferred time in the FordPass app, or somehow through your Grizzl-E?

If through FordPass, after plugging in you can open the app, click on the "Waiting to Charge" notification at the bottom of the screen (mine below says "Charge Complete" since I charged overnight) and then there is a "Charge to 100%" button. If you hit it, it changes to "Resume schedule" and you could click it again when you have enough juice.

I don't know of a way to just charge on demand to your preferred max.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charge now instead of wait for preferred charge time? 1000005456
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge now instead of wait for preferred charge time? 1000005457

OP
OP

Parsnip

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
For clarity, did you set up your preferred time in the FordPass app, or somehow through your Grizzl-E?

If through FordPass, after plugging in you can open the app, click on the "Waiting to Charge" notification at the bottom of the screen (mine below says "Charge Complete" since I charged overnight) and then there is a "Charge to 100%" button. If you hit it, it changes to "Resume schedule" and you could click it again when you have enough juice.

I don't know of a way to just charge on demand to your preferred max.
1000005456.jpg

1000005457.jpg
Hmmm... I haven't tried that yet. It might work. Will let you know. Thanks for the idea.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Parsnip

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Hmmm... I haven't tried that yet. It might work. Will let you know. Thanks for the idea.
Just to close the loop - it worked as advertised. I plugged in at about 4:30 PM and the Ford Pass app showed that it would start charging at 11PM. I pressed the charge to 100% button and it immediately began charging. I let it charge for a while, and since I wasn't actually going anywhere that evening, pressed the "Stop Charging Button". The charging stopped and the button on the Ford Pass app changed to "Resume Schedule". I pressed Resume Schedule and the truck proceeded to charge at 11PM as normal. Thanks for the help @TheWoo

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Just go to the preferred charge times on the app and hit the dot to change it from "use preferred charge settings" to "charge to 100% when plugged in" then when you get home just hit the dot to switch it back.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Nice to know that pressing "Charge to 100%" will make it charge now - we were trying to do this over the past weekend.

This is one of a handful of things that Ford did better on the Focus Electric that, for some reason, they have abandoned with the Lightning (and I'm guessing the MME).

On the FFE, you can switch between "Value Charge" (using the schedule) and "Charge Now" in the charge settings. Additionally, it gives you the chance to change it when you shut off the vehicle for about 10-15 seconds - precisely when you are most likely to want to change. No need to dig through the settings.

That said, I found it most useful to use it when I was at a public L2 charger and needed a charge at a time when Value Charging wouldn't allow it. The FFE doesn't know charging locations, so it either follows the schedule or not based on this setting. I guess Ford figured by adding charge locations, one would be less likely to have to switch between charging now and following the schedule.

Last edited:

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Just go to the preferred charge times on the app and hit the dot to change it from "use preferred charge settings" to "charge to 100% when plugged in" then when you get home just hit the dot to switch it back.
While this also works, I prefer to use the charge to 100% button as it's a one-time change. I don't have to remember to go back in and change it back.

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
is there a way to to tell the truck to charge now (at 5pm) and not wait until 11 without turning off the preferred charging times?
I agree with you 1000%. There should be manual controls in the truck to control charging without having to resort to changing some default setting and/or using an app on your phone. The truck should be able to control itself and you should be able to control your truck.
Sponsored