• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Vehicle will charge outside of preferred times

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
so I'll jump in, with some of the same/similar 'charge schedule window' issues, as reported in another thread:

I'm finding that NO MATTER what schedule you enter, if the truck computes that it will need to charge LONGER to reach the Percentage you set, it will start SOONER, out of the schedule window, or it may even start IMMEDIATELY.
I don't like this, though I can understand how engineers might think this is the 'way' that most folks might want the outcome to be.

I want to simply set a timeframe that my truck can charge, period.
I don't want it to start earlier than expected. I don't want it to go longer than expected.
I can handle if the charging window will not be enough time to get 'all the way' to the percentage - I can override that myself.

Maybe smarter owners than myself have an easier answer to this, but right now Ford seems to make this an aggravating set of options and commands.
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
so I'll jump in, with some of the same/similar 'charge schedule window' issues, as reported in another thread:

I'm finding that NO MATTER what schedule you enter, if the truck computes that it will need to charge LONGER to reach the Percentage you set, it will start SOONER, out of the schedule window, or it may even start IMMEDIATELY.
I don't like this, though I can understand how engineers might think this is the 'way' that most folks might want the outcome to be.

I want to simply set a timeframe that my truck can charge, period.
I don't want it to start earlier than expected. I don't want it to go longer than expected.
I can handle if the charging window will not be enough time to get 'all the way' to the percentage - I can override that myself.

Maybe smarter owners than myself have an easier answer to this, but right now Ford seems to make this an aggravating set of options and commands.
There should be an option to prioritize the schedule vs end charge percent. Also is the end percent the charge that you must get to or the point at which to you want the truck to stop (not necessarily different, but philosophy of charging priority/logic). Also there should be a global target charge level (not requiring charge locations).

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
I'm going to ask this question in this thread, because it deals with charging times, instead of starting a new one.

Can anybody tell me, can you set a charging schedule to the Charge Station Pro for allowable charging times like an aftermarket charger, or is it always on and you have to rely on the schedule set for the truck?
Yes, I have an off-peak charging schedule set for my FCSP using the FordPass app. BUT, typically when I plug in the FCSP before the start time, it'll start charging immediately so I've had to tell it to stop charging (via FordPass), then select the Resume Charging option. Then it'll recognize the schedule and wait to start.

I typically wait till it gets around 20% or less to recharge back to 90%, but my FCSP is configured for 72A output and has easily finished in those overnight hours.

My $0.02.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Yes, I have an off-peak charging schedule set for my FCSP using the FordPass app. BUT, typically when I plug in the FCSP before the start time, it'll start charging immediately so I've had to tell it to stop charging (via FordPass), then select the Resume Charging option. Then it'll recognize the schedule and wait to start.

I typically wait till it gets around 20% or less to recharge back to 90%, but my FCSP is configured for 72A output and has easily finished in those overnight hours.

My $0.02.
If it's not following the schedule you're inputting, I have little confidence in it. Thanks.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I blame the ford PO team. The software team is just following tickets. Its is embarrassingly obvious that the vast majority of them are new to EV and blind to the UI/UX improvements that the Tesla team has implemented.

Farley has said many times that he wants Ford to be more like Tesla Yet he continues to hire the wrong "leaders" which then continue to hire the wrong "workers". I think Ford needs a 60% layoff + reset to have even a slim chance of competing in this new EV world :)

Please pass this up the chain @Ford Motor Company

Sponsored

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
If it's not following the schedule you're inputting, I have little confidence in it. Thanks.
UPDATE: I decided to take a quick look at the Charge config on the truck itself when I got home from work yesterday. Sure enough, it was as I wanted - wait till 10 PM to start charging, charge up to 90%. Lo and behold - when I plugged the charger in, it worked exactly as programmed.

Lesson learned: rely less on what FordPass says about it. What's configured on the truck's Charge screen is what it'll do.

ms001b

First Name
manni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Fusion Energi Titanium; 2022 Lighting Lariat
This has been an issue since at least 2018 with Ford PHEVs, if the vehicle doesn't think it can reach its charging target. Your hack won't work. There are 2 fixes:

1) lower target to level that can be achieved in the charging window

2) use an intelligent charger like the JuiceBox and set hours there in addition to setting them in the vehicle.
Why @Ford Motor Company … just why.

7:30pm. In the middle of a CA flex-alert and $0.66/kwh PEAK rates. Plug in the truck (21%) to charge at the set 12am-6am window, and it starts pulling 11kwh immediately.

“Vehicle will charge outside
preferred Charge Time
Sep 04, 2022, 07:23 PM

NIGHT-RIDER must charge outside your preferred
Charge Time due to charge settings, like your Departure Time”

Vehicle is set to charge during super-off-peak, 12am to 6am, via scheduled charging. Occasionally when the battery is low enough, the truck calculates that it won’t finish charging by 6am, so it instead starts charging earlier. Even within the 4-9pm PEAK TOU window.

This makes absolutely no sense. If the 6am were set as a departure time, then sure, it makes sense to optimize for charging to END at 6am.

But that’s now how this is setup. This is using charging locations + scheduled charging times. It should be allowing the vehicle to either choose to CONTINUE beyond the charging window end (6am) or to give the option to STOP charging at and the charging window end (6am). Default being to CONTINUE.

It’s as if the F150L product team has never used an EV before.

The hack is to now set all scheduled charging windows to be 12am to 4pm, allowing charging to only run OVER the end and not start before.

This is my hack. I use a WEMO insight program it to go off during peak hours. I started doing this with my fusion Energi. It also tracks the watts during use. The app no tell me to check the connection with the lighting when the WEMO is off. I was also able to delay the turn time with the heatwave in SoCal a few weeks ago. I am not sure about the monthly cost estimate I can't find the part of the app were the Kwh rate can be changed.
Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle will charge outside of preferred times 4B08DC6F-B0F3-466C-8714-89AA888B0EAC
Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle will charge outside of preferred times 137BA299-640A-4F84-B0E1-D874D5C0C9A0

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This is my hack. I use a WEMO insight program it to go off during peak hours. I started doing this with my fusion Energi. It also tracks the watts during use. The app no tell me to check the connection with the lighting when the WEMO is off. I was also able to delay the turn time with the heatwave in SoCal a few weeks ago. I am not sure about the monthly cost estimate I can't find the part of the app were the Kwh rate can be changed.
4B08DC6F-B0F3-466C-8714-89AA888B0EAC.jpeg
137BA299-640A-4F84-B0E1-D874D5C0C9A0.jpeg
That is great! However, are you charging your truck via 1.2-1.3 kWh?

ms001b

First Name
manni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Fusion Energi Titanium; 2022 Lighting Lariat
That is great! However, are you charging your truck via 1.2-1.3 kWh?
I guess so when the WEMO and the truck are drawing charge it is showing 1.2 -1.3. The average may be off as there is a 2-5 watt draw if the WEMO is on, but I am not charging. I am actually just using the charger that came with my Fusion for now so I am not sure if that would make a difference.

Just looked up the WEMO insight capacity. "The maximum power capacity of Wemo is 15 Amps, 1800 Watts at 120 Volts U.S. "

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Most people find that 110v charging on a vehicle with this size battery isn't very useful. Works fine on a Ford Energi with a less than 10kW battery.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
4B08DC6F-B0F3-466C-8714-89AA888B0EAC.jpeg
137BA299-640A-4F84-B0E1-D874D5C0C9A0.jpeg
I'd be careful pushing high sustained amps through such a small wfi outlet - even if only 110V.

The solution I have for now works. I force any needed excess charging to AFTER the window that I set. Off-peak is 12am - 6am, so I set the charging window in the truck to 12am - 2pm. Normally it will finish by the 6am end of peak, only occasionally does it run over. But now it will never start early, within the peak window.
Sponsored