• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Preferred charging time with charge station pro

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
I’ve noticed with my pro charger, if I set a preferred charging time of say 4 AM for example and want the truck to charge to 100% by 7 AM from 70% (say for a long drive), the charger blue light flashes every few seconds and I heard the “clicking” sound that I typically hear when I first plug in and the truck immediately begins charging. I believe what is happening is the pro charger is wanting to deliver power to the truck but when it “clicks on” the truck is telling it, it’s not time to charge yet, and this cycle occurs several times a minute. I’ve noticed it doing this and then seems like the next morning after my truck has actually charged, I get a notice that my 12 volt battery is low and I need to plug in to maintain the battery (I think this noticed is actually sent sometime before the 3AM charging window, so by the time it appears when I leave, the 12 volt is actually already charged back up). I also get a notification that I may have an electrical drain and I should check third party devices or have the vehicle serviced. I honestly think that cycling process of the truck pro charger trying to deliver power, is draining the 12 volt battery over the 8-10 hours that the truck is waiting to charge.

the truck always seems to charge as I want it to without problem but I hate to think it’s draining my 12 volt battery every time I set a preferred charge time. My power company doesn’t offer cheaper charging over night so I only set a preferred charging window when I need to charge to 90 or 100% for long trips and don’t want the truck sitting at that state of charge for several hours.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The 12v is low because the truck keeps waking up. That is why the Charge Station Pro's solenoids are clicking.

Why is the truck continually waking up? Only @Ford Motor Company knows.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Also, why do you only have a 3 hour charging window? Seems kinda tight.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I think you've outlined one of two scenarios:

Preferred charging time hasn't yet begun. You set a charging level that is too high to be reached during the specified time interval, so charging begins immediately.

or:

Preferred charging time hasn't yet begun, but you set a departure time that the truck calculates it can't hit your designated charging level by the time it has to begin departure preparations, so it starts charging immediately.

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
I have a similar issue with my Clipper Creek and need to send in my charger for a software update. I have better rates from 9pm to 9am. Sometime when I pull in at 6pm. The charger will start to clicking on and off and drain the 12v battery. When the charger is used on my Tesla it doesn’t have this Issue.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I have a similar issue with my Clipper Creek and need to send in my charger for a software update. I have better rates from 9pm to 9am. Sometime when I pull in at 6pm. The charger will start to clicking on and off and drain the 12v battery. When the charger is used on my Tesla it doesn’t have this Issue.
It's not the charger. It's the truck causing it. Watch when the charger is clicking. The charge port lights are turning on and off and you can hear modules cycling in the truck.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Since you don't have a TOU restriction, try pushing back the start time to 1AM then observed it's behaviour, likely will still be some occasional clicking.

The next morning determine from the FP notifications timestamp as to when the truck reached 100%, note that can take a long time to get the last couple %% into the battery {{chose 95%}}.

Once you know the duration for a particular starting SOC tailor your starting time if you want to minimize the @100% idle time, IMHO having a couple hours of cushion between 100% & drive off should not be a horrible impact to the battery if you're only doing this occasionally.
Sponsored