• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Vehicle will charge outside of preferred times

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What did you set the truck to? Charge when plug in?
Set the truck to the same hours. It will try to charge early, not get any juice, and then when the charger opens the circuit, will charge at the right times and not reach the target.

I addressed this in post #3.
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I want my car to charge when plugged in. I want my evse to allow the charge or not. I happen to have multiple EVSEs in the garage for multiple cars. When the smart EVSEs were added I did not take away the dumb ones. If I need a charge now I will either plug into an evse where it will charge now, or I will override the smart EVSE. I don't want to go to an a free public charging station (level 2) in an the off hours and have my vehicle not charge due to the charging schedule.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
What did you set the truck to? Charge when plug in?
yup truck is set to charge when plugged in and EVSE is set to only operate during off peak (11pm-7am).

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Set the truck to the same hours. It will try to charge early, not get any juice, and then when the charger opens the circuit, will charge at the right times and not reach the target.

I addressed this in post #3.

The 40amp charging from my EVSE is more than sufficient to fill the truck to 85% during off peak hours, so I haven’t had the issue of it not reaching the target. This is with the SR though.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If you want the car to be charged to desired % at your departure time, then use departure times.

What is stupid is that scheduled charging ALSO optimizes for full charge at the END of your schedule charging window. Instead of forcing it to only start when told to do so and being short on charge at the END of your charging window.

Both modes cater to the "full charge at departure time / scheduled window END".

It's as if the ford software / product teams are run by an army of incompetent 19 year old summer interns. I doubt any other vehicle manufacturer has this so backwards.

Sponsored

swtaylor89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Business Owner
I get the same message and experience of the truck charging when it's not supposed to WITHOUT having a departure time set. That section is completely blank. Tried calling the number in the Ford pass app for help, 3 different department transfers and the 4th one back to someone I already talked to. Said it's just like calling ATT and said I'll try tomorrow and hopefully get someone else.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I get the same message and experience of the truck charging when it's not supposed to WITHOUT having a departure time set. That section is completely blank. Tried calling the number in the Ford pass app for help, 3 different department transfers and the 4th one back to someone I already talked to. Said it's just like calling ATT and said I'll try tomorrow and hopefully get someone else.
If the truck thinks it can’t fully charge in the time window specified, that’s what it does.
Nothing to do with departure times.

swtaylor89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Business Owner
If the truck thinks it can’t fully charge in the time window specified, that’s what it does.
Nothing to do with departure times.
What's wierd is the first day I set this up, it worked! The truck paused during the 4pm to 9pm timeframe but never since. Same charge level. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, it's a big deal for us who live in areas where the rate double or triple if not more.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
What's wierd is the first day I set this up, it worked! The truck paused during the 4pm to 9pm timeframe but never since. Same charge level. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, it's a big deal for us who live in areas where the rate double or triple if not more.
Whether or not this happens depends on if the truck thinks it can achieve the target charge level during the charge window. Maybe your initial state of charge was higher when it worked?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm going to ask this question in this thread, because it deals with charging times, instead of starting a new one.

Can anybody tell me, can you set a charging schedule to the Charge Station Pro for allowable charging times like an aftermarket charger, or is it always on and you have to rely on the schedule set for the truck?

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I work in software and I'm annoyed at how slow Ford is to respond to anything. Tesla can get a change out in a month, but Ford seems to take years. There is no acceptable excuse for being that slow. This is such a stupid problem that could be fixed in a day and then tested for another few days and then bundled into an OTA release.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I work in software and I'm annoyed at how slow Ford is to respond to anything. Tesla can get a change out in a month, but Ford seems to take years. There is no acceptable excuse for being that slow. This is such a stupid problem that could be fixed in a day and then tested for another few days and then bundled into an OTA release.
Tesla's vehicles were designed around their software. Ford designs their software around their hardware.

Unfortunately, the experience won't change until Ford finally sees the value in the user experience versus the hardware's tech specs.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Watching this thread while I struggle with similar issues.

I'm testing an app that generates utility account credits for complying with off peak EV charging.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Tesla's vehicles were designed around their software. Ford designs their software around their hardware.

Unfortunately, the experience won't change until Ford finally sees the value in the user experience versus the hardware's tech specs.
Not sure what that really means in practice, but whatever is designed around whatever, Ford has a software team, probably a large software team, that writes the infotainment software and they should be able to make these sorts of simple changes quickly.

Probably what makes them slow is they have to go through a bunch of unnecessary layers to get anything done. Product designer has to approve the change, various groups have to ok it and it takes a while to get through the committee, feature sent to UX designer, UX designer works with UX engineer, producer schedules work, engineer takes weeks to implement because the software is stupidly complex and they are new due to high turnover, engineer submits change, QA tests it, it goes through a bunch of layers of approval and testing, change is finally merged into release branch, release branch goes through another round of testing/QA, finally it's released via OTA update. This is just speculation of course, but I bet it's close.

swtaylor89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Business Owner
Honestly I'm sure that's very accurate. Reminded me of Ford vs Ferrari. When the Ford buerocracy was involved, everything went to crap, no progress was made in Ford racing. When he had a straight line to Mr. Ford, the racing program excelled.
It'd be awesome if all the early adopters were part of a group that had a straight line of communication to the CEO. Mr Farley is obviously passionate about moving the EV platform forward, but issues like this not getting addressed rapidly will hurt Ford's EV reputation and forward progress.
Sponsored