• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging at Ford dealerships

djteotancolis

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80
Occupation
Analyst
Planning my trip and seeing most Ford dealerships seems to have to a charging point. Is this open to anyone wanting to charge or specific for dealership use?

Traveling from Iowa to Georgia and trying to plan out charging. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Plugshare may have some details, but I would contact each dealer to make sure if/when it's available. It's possible they have it someplace that it is publicly accessible and it's possible they have it back in the service area somewhere. Also I would expect most will only have lvl2 and not DCFC at this point. Maybe in the future there will be DCFC at most dealers but it is going to be a while for that to happen.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
can't speak for anything on your route but driving to Houston yesterday stopped at the Ford dealer in Nagadoches. the pro charger was just attached to a post in their parking lot. no sign or anything to call attention to it. I stopped and asked the dealer about using it (I have a res but am still waiting for an invite to order) and he said anyone could pull up and plug in. parking lot was not blocked off so it's available 7x24. IT was a Level 2 charger, however. I am confident that it's a dealer by dealer decision. you should call ahead and check.

OP
OP

djteotancolis

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80
Occupation
Analyst
Thanks! I will call them to be safe but appreciate the replies.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Picked up today and dealer mentioned that there was a plan to install chargers at all Ford dealerships for use by Ford customers, but as others have said I think they are only level 2. Better than nothing, but not something for a road trip

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Ford is going to split into several different divisions with some dealerships dedicated to selling EVs. Ford dealerships that sell EVs will be required to install DC fast chargers. Low volume EV dealerships will probably on get a single Level 1 DC fast charger that will only charge up to 24 kW but high volume EV dealerships will get multiple Level 2 DC fast chargers that will charge greater than 50 kW.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
My selling dealer has 3 L2 chargers for the public + 2 in the service dept, but most of the time they are being used by sales dept to top off EV/PHEV vehicles being picked up that day.

Another dealer near my work has zero chargers - only 1 in service dept.

That's how wildly different dealers are...

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Ford is going to split into several different divisions with some dealerships dedicated to selling EVs. Ford dealerships that sell EVs will be required to install DC fast chargers. Low volume EV dealerships will probably on get a single Level 1 DC fast charger that will only charge up to 24 kW but high volume EV dealerships will get multiple Level 2 DC fast chargers that will charge greater than 50 kW.
worth adding ā€¦. ā€œYears awayā€

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Planning my trip and seeing most Ford dealerships seems to have to a charging point. Is this open to anyone wanting to charge or specific for dealership use?

Traveling from Iowa to Georgia and trying to plan out charging. Thanks.
You should plan your trip with level 3 chargers. You get 250 free kWh at EA, and then join Pass+. Level 2 at a hotel overnight.

Use A Better Route Planner, and set EA as preferred network.

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
By default I avoid dealer chargers because they are generally taken by the dealer charging(rightly so,) they are ICEā€™d, not accessible, or have poor DC charging speed. Iā€™ve even put a request into PlugShare to let you filter out dealers. Due to this, I tend to not use Fordā€™s Nav either. I suggest using PlugShare and filter for DCFC greater than 50kW or 70kW.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
By default I avoid dealer chargers because they are generally taken by the dealer charging(rightly so,) they are ICEā€™d, not accessible, or have poor DC charging speed. Iā€™ve even put a request into PlugShare to let you filter out dealers. Due to this, I tend to not use Fordā€™s Nav either. I suggest using PlugShare and filter for DCFC greater than 50kW or 70kW.
I second that. Although, I have charged at a Hyundai dealer with a reasonable DCFC charging speed and good price, but generally dealerships are my last choice for DCFC. Through trial and error (some quite frustrating errors) weā€™ve developed a method for route planning that while complicated, does seem to save us heartache.
1. Plot route on Googlemaps for overall situational awareness using whatever settings you prefer (avoid tolls, etc.).
2. Plot route in ABRP with appropriate settings (for example, when towing we adjust the efficiency to 1000w/mile).
3. If you are happy with ABRPā€™s choices for charging stops, proceed to step 6.
4. If you donā€™t like the charging stops use Chargehub or Plugshare to see a map with alternate possibilities.
5. Replot in ABRP with selected stops.
6. Check all charging stops with Plugshare to see latest reviews and status. If anything looks sketchy determine alternates or repeat steps 4 and 5.
7. Navigate on the trip with Fordā€™s system at or own risk (it has taken us on some squirrelly routes) or preferably use Googlemaps with CarPlay or android auto.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored