• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
I know there are none on the road, but what are the chances the Lightning (Lariat ER) will use the same wiring and bus commands? I'm guessing the cup holder will be the same and not have the LED lights. Tempted to order the cup holder now. I'm guessing if it doesn't fit I can always sell or for only $25, I'd gladly donate it to a local guy looking for one.

I'll have to rewatch some Lightning videos and look for new ones to see if the cup holders are shown up close.

Ill look at the wiring schematics here in a bit. ill let you know if its the same.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Ill look at the wiring schematics here in a bit. ill let you know if its the same.
Gonna quote myself here, the schematics arent online yet from what I can find. assuming ford keeps the same ambient foot well light(I really cant see this changing), then you will be able to add the cup holders back in.

• Love

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thank you for that quick and helpful feedback. I'll follow those same assumptions and at least be prepared by ordering the cup holders. If wiring were to change, I'll change along with it.

I'll likely freak just a little bit starting to tear into an $80K truck as many others here have, but it will all be in the name of progress and bringing back the cool lighting.

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Thank you for that quick and helpful feedback. I'll follow those same assumptions and at least be prepared by ordering the cup holders. If wiring were to change, I'll change along with it.

I'll likely freak just a little bit starting to tear into an $80K truck as many others here have, but it will all be in the name of progress and bringing back the cool lighting.

youll still need to build/buy a harness to add the cup holders. even with the cup holders having all the parts the connector/wiring is not there to just plug them in.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thank you - will reach out once I have a truck and it is opened up. I figured my key, like others, was just getting my hands on the cup holders at that crazy price.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Thank you - will reach out once I have a truck and it is opened up. I figured my key, like others, was just getting my hands on the cup holders at that crazy price.
very much so! if you can get that the other part is easy lol

Djlee1592

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic
Yes. I can. you have to add programming to a few lines in the BCM and APIM. The ambient lighting all comes from the BCM. You need to grab the power and lin bus. Depending on what Ambient you are wanting they are powered different circuit. This info is pertaining to the Cup holder and Foot lighting ONLY. I added those three as of now.

Power is BCM
LIN - BCM C2280B Pin 13
Power - BCM C2280C Pin 4
Ground you can go where is most convenient.

I gave Livnitup the programming a bit ago for the as built. It took ME FOREVER to figure out all the bits to turn on. They are obscure random ones.

If people are going to start this maybe he will add it to his sheet.

Might be possible you can make a harness for this also.
I would definitely be interested in that. I have some rechargeable LED pucks but the battery doesn't last very long. Hopefully someone can make a nice DIY thread in the future. Also, for the harness, can I buy the one that is used for the trucks that already have ambient lighting and then just tap into the BCM or is it easier to cut out the connector and just splice in a new wire?

Last edited:

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Just some more information for people. These same lights are also deleted from the '22 Super Duty's and my dealer shows a lot of these part number being discontinued in his system. So doesn't appear to be a chip issue if the system is showing these being discontinued. Just FYI.

I don't want to buy anything for my truck before it comes (bad luck) but as time goes on these parts will become harder to find and more expensive.

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
I would definitely be interested in that. I have some rechargeable LED pucks but the battery doesn't last very long. Hopefully someone can make a nice DIY thread in the future. Also, for the harness, can I buy the one that is used for the trucks that already have ambient lighting and then just tap into the BCM or is it easier to cut out the connector and just splice in a new wire?

Im confused by your question? The harness I have been making allows you to hook into the footwell light and add the cup holder lights back in if you lost them. but you must have ambient lighting for that to work.

If you dont have ambient lighting already then you gotta add them to your BCM which is what @Jesse-Infotainment did and its the pinouts he gave.

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Just some more information for people. These same lights are also deleted from the '22 Super Duty's and my dealer shows a lot of these part number being discontinued in his system. So doesn't appear to be a chip issue if the system is showing these being discontinued. Just FYI.

I don't want to buy anything for my truck before it comes (bad luck) but as time goes on these parts will become harder to find and more expensive.

Im the guy that wrote the super duty thread. if memory serves me correctly the OEM must continue providing parts for 5 years after they stop using them. this is some kind of law. Id really have to look but theres no way its being discontinued at least not for a couple more years.

Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Your not wrong. Maybe they are replacing with an updated component and the part number is changing? Or maybe he was just wrong? I noticed a few part suppliers list is as discontinued too. Granted, it could be discontinued by that supplier and not necessarily by ford

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Your not wrong. Maybe they are replacing with an updated component and the part number is changing? Or maybe he was just wrong? I noticed a few part suppliers list is as discontinued too. Granted, it could be discontinued by that supplier and not necessarily by ford
All the lights are made in Mexico, by who I don’t know. I am working on something to ease the pain of finding the light ring but it’s not done yet. As for lights, ford used them in a TON of vehicles but used different connectors on each one! The best thing to do is get the cup holder @Jesse-Infotainment listed. If you can get that part it’s by far the cheapest route currently!

Djlee1592

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic
Im confused by your question? The harness I have been making allows you to hook into the footwell light and add the cup holder lights back in if you lost them. but you must have ambient lighting for that to work.

If you dont have ambient lighting already then you gotta add them to your BCM which is what @Jesse-Infotainment did and its the pinouts he gave.
I have an XLT so no ambient. Can I just use any similar wire to connect the cup holders power and LIN to the BCM?

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
O
I have an XLT so no ambient. Can I just use any similar wire to connect the cup holders power and LIN to the BCM?
Oh ok yes If you just want the cup holders you could hook them directly to the BCM

Djlee1592

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic
O

Oh ok yes If you just want the cup holders you could hook them directly to the BCM
This might sound dumb, but I'm assuming soldering the wires into each appropriate wire is the best path to do it?
Sponsored