• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dashboard screen died while driving

jwb02

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Pretty scary stuff… anybody else had this happen? Been having SYNC issues since day 1 that have gotten progressively worse this week. Culminated in losing my entire dash screen at 70mph. Have re-started truck multiple times. Screen appears to be completely dead. Truck is a ‘23 Platinum built in Dec of ‘22.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Straight to the dealer.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Yikes! I agree with Taxman, get that to the dealer. Sorry you got hit with a bum display. 😥

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I wonder if doing a master RESET from the other screen might be the 'reboot' you need to re-establish the driver screen. Or, try unhooking the battery for a little while, re-attach and see if a 'reboot' helps.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am going to suggest a Sync Reset - press and hold volume down and skip track on the steering wheel.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Pretty scary stuff… anybody else had this happen? Been having SYNC issues since day 1 that have gotten progressively worse this week. Culminated in losing my entire dash screen at 70mph. Have re-started truck multiple times. Screen appears to be completely dead. Truck is a ‘23 Platinum built in Dec of ‘22.

Hey there. I can look into your Lightning’s dash screen concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
Mine is a June ‘22 build. I have had this happen several times, sometimes when I really needed the reverse views. Sounds as if I need to contact the dealer but it is unlikely that they will have it happen. That is why I haven’t already contacted them . The screens come back to life in a minute or two.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Mine is a June ‘22 build. I have had this happen several times, sometimes when I really needed the reverse views. Sounds as if I need to contact the dealer but it is unlikely that they will have it happen. That is why I haven’t already contacted them . The screens come back to life in a minute or two.
Have you done the Sync reset as suggested?

OP
OP

jwb02

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Hey all, thanks for the feedback. Yes, I’m very familiar with the Sync reset. That’s become a near daily occurrence w/ Sync-related issues. Unfortunately, it did not fix the dashboard issue last night along with several vehicle restarts, charging, etc. I don’t believe Sync is related to the gauge cluster…

However, the gauge cluster decided to work when I started the truck this morning and is functioning normally so far today. But given the other electrical bugs I’ve experienced over the span of my ownership, I don’t have much faith that it will stay that way… And believe me - losing your entire gauge cluster (speed, battery, signal and headlight indicators, etc) on the highway is a scary experience.

Either way, I’m actively engaged with Ford on a solution. Appreciate everyone’s help!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Good morning Peter! I would be glad to help you out with these dead screen concerns. Just shoot us a direct message with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!

Sponsored

FBuyerAndHolder

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT ER
Post summary: My dashboard screen went blank yesterday. After a 150-mile drive home, the dashboard came back when I turned on the ProPower (PP) while a shopvac set to "on" was plugged into the rear seat's 110 volt outlet.

Details: Truck is a 2023 XLT ER with the Ford Power-Up 6.2.0. I have not yet had the battery sensor recall done.

We took a family day trip to a state park about 150 miles from home. I charged the truck up to 100% overnight before we left. We arrived at the park with around 50% charge left. While at the park we used the PP to recharge toy batteries and eventually the PP shutoff because the vehicle's charge had dropped too low. I changed the PP automatic shutoff point to a much lower setting (10% I think) and we continued to use the truck to charge the toy batteries.

Late in the afternoon I went to reposition the truck to a shadier parking spot. The dashboard did not turn on when I pressed the on button. I began panicking because I thought it was a 12-volt battery failure, but the truck shifted into gear and I was able to move it. My spouse and I then tried the various tricks (switching drive mode, pressing lower volume and skip track at the same time, etc) to restart the dashboard, but none worked.

I didn't try pulling fuses or disconnecting the 12 volt battery because I was afraid I would make things worse and leave us stranded there.

We then packed up and I drove 10 miles to an EA charging station where we added 36.0400 KWh of charge in 16.11 minutes. We tried the dashboard reset tricks again but it stayed dark. I then drove the remaining 140 miles home without a speedometer. The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because I was able to set the cruise control after my passengers confirmed our speed using their cell phones.

As the sun went down and it got darker outside, I could see that the dashboard's screen was actually a dark grey like it was turned on but not getting a video signal.

We arrived home with around 13% charge. After unloading the truck, I decided that I needed to vacuum out the interior before taking it to the dealer today. I grabbed my shopvac, plugged it into the rear seat's 110 volt outlet and turned on the Pro Power. I didn't realize that the vacuum's switch was set to "on" so when I turned on the Pro Power the vacuum immediately started sucking. At about the same time the dashboard screen came back on.

The dashboard is working fine today.

PAndaemonium

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Ford Lightning XLT ER
Since mine happened, sounds like this is super common and apparently a right of passage for owners. Every instance, the screen came back and never happened again
Sponsored