• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Diamondback Switchback Review

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
TLDR: Great tonneau cover but very expensive compared to other trifolds. Its heavy and needs 2 hands to open. The last panel doesn't fold against the bed. 99% waterproof and very rugged. The cover does interfere with the automatic tailgate.

After diving in the pool of endless tonneau covers, I ended up narrowing it down to the BakFlip X4S, Peragon and Diamondback Switchback. I ended going with the Diamondback Switchback. I liked the X4S, but could never get over how easily you can open it with a coat hanger. The Peragon had a lot of mixed reviews, mostly in the durability and water resistance areas, and the install time is between 3-4 hours.

The cover costs $1899, so roughly $700 to $800 more than other trifolds. Its made to order and shipped via freight shipping to you. Luckily the guy delivering it was willing to keep the pallet. I did rush shipping because I needed a cover faster, but from what I saw in other forums, it takes roughly 4-5 weeks before they ship it out to you.

It was packed nicely in the box. The cover is roughly 80 pounds I believe, but I was able to slowly maneuver it into the truck without damaging anything.

Ford F-150 Lightning Diamondback Switchback Review 20240320_111725

Installation wasn't too bad. I attached weather stripping to the back of the bed of the truck, and then placed the cover on top. You use 4 clamps using the existing rails to secure the last panel to the bed. So this means you do lose some bed space when its fully open. The back panel sits on top of the tailgate, and is secure enough that it makes the automatic tailgate non-functional. I have to pull it down and push it up myself. The cover is secured near the tailgate with 2 handle things that go into the rail. While no cover is 100% secure, this provides more security than a pull cord, but the downside is I have to release the handle on each side to fold the cover up.

Ford F-150 Lightning Diamondback Switchback Review 20240322_091445

I took it through an automatic carwash today and was pretty impressed. There was a few drops of water near the front of the bed, which probably means I just need to adjust the weather stripping there, and a few by tailgate. The rest of the bed was bone dry.

Ford F-150 Lightning Diamondback Switchback Review 20240322_084654~2

Ford F-150 Lightning Diamondback Switchback Review 20240322_084700~2

The cover definitely meets my requirements for security and water tightness. The biggest downsides are the price, and it requiring more time and effort to get it fully open. I can't say for sure if I recommend it yet, since I've only had it for a week.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I got the Peragon and returned it.

I looked at the Switchback, but the method to open wasn't acceptable to me. I got the Diamondback HD at Black Friday ($200 off). Don't need 1,600 pounds of top load capability, but it was only a bit more than the SE with the discount, and has lots of cleats.

These covers look great and are very secure.

Your tailgate should work fine after the cover has sat compressed for a while (see the directions). Mine didn't, and now does.

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER (Iconic Silver)
Nice writeup! Perhaps not for this particular model, but if you are looking for a cover, keep an eye out for local sales. I was lucky to find an Under Cover Armor Flex still sealed in the box for $500 on OfferUp. I Use the truck bed frequently and it is holding up very nicely (few opportunities to test watertightness in Phoenix).

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
Had my diamondback se for almost a year. Very good cover. Highly recommended!

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
We liked our spendy three door Diamondback, but decided to go with a topper / canopy to make the bed more suitable for all weather dog use.

Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I have the peragon and I like it. It's nice to be able to remove it easily when I need the extra space, and I like that it folds down into the bed instead of blocking the rear window. You can't really put stuff on top of it though, I don't think it can hold much weight in that aspect, but otherwise I've loved mine.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the peragon and I like it. It's nice to be able to remove it easily when I need the extra space, and I like that it folds down into the bed instead of blocking the rear window. You can't really put stuff on top of it though, I don't think it can hold much weight in that aspect, but otherwise I've loved mine.
Right, it can't hold any weight.

I returned it because:

1) It didn't come out and reinstall as easily as they showed.
2) Getting it to properly close worked 50% of the time, I often had to play with the right lock lever to line up the incline ramp.
3) It is noisy when partially open or fully open. Every pothole it makes noise. And, when partially open, despite what they say, it moves around a little, again making noise.
4) I really didn't like the room it took up when fully open on the 5.5' bed. Had a 6.5' bed for 10 years, and didn't want a 4.75' bed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So it doesn't fold up the final third?
Correct. See 2nd sentence in OP's post. That's why I bought the HD (same as the SE except can load 1,600 vs 400 pounds and has 12 cleats vs 4 on the SE and zero on the Switchback).

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
1) It didn't come out and reinstall as easily as they showed.
Definetly agree with this one, although it's gotten a lot easier after a couple of times of taking it out of the back. Still lining everything up so that it comes out of the track (and then going back in) is kinda annoying. First time it took me around 15 minutes to get it back in, second time only took a minute or so though, and it's been about the same since then. The damned tab wouldn't reengage the first time, but I guess it has loosened up some.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Definetly agree with this one, although it's gotten a lot easier after a couple of times of taking it out of the back. Still lining everything up so that it comes out of the track (and then going back in) is kinda annoying. First time it took me around 15 minutes to get it back in, second time only took a minute or so though, and it's been about the same since then. The damned tab wouldn't reengage the first time, but I guess it has loosened up some.
And getting the tab to release was a pain. In short, they make it all look too easy, and they apparently don't have any potholed roads.
Sponsored