• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Disappointed with Winter Range, I didn’t expect 50% Reduction

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Are some of these people dumb, disgruntled, paid hacks or all of the above? Sorry just needed to vent.

50% range loss? Smh
Sponsored

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think we've already determined Hoover shouldn't own an EV by his stupid towing video...
Problem is that the damage is already done. I had two people from work today come ask me if I was going to make it home because I lost half my range…. Huh? They referenced those two videos. I had to sit there and explain the BS they are putting out for clicks.

Sponsored

chrislittle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning Pro
people's motivations are hard to uncover but I can say in NH my Pro SR is giving me 175 miles at 90% and is well within what I'd expect for Winter losses. Most importantly it provides me with great joy, gas savings & gets me everywhere I need to go on a daily basis. I enjoy watching alot of youtube video's on the truck and find the most meaningful to be those that provide good education (i.e. @Aminorjourney 's recent Winter tire video), I'll always filter out those creators whom focus on negativity without discussing the positives of owning the Truck. they are easy to spot as a vehicle is neither all bad or all good.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Problem is that the damage is already done. I had two people from work today come ask me if I was going to make it home because I lost half my range…. Huh? They referenced those two videos. I had to sit there and explain the BS they are putting out for clicks.
Correct, a couple of people have figured out they can make money by screwing with public perception of these vehicles.

He really is a tool. (And not the useful kind)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
people's motivations are hard to uncover but I can say in NH my Pro SR is giving me 175 miles at 90% and is well within what I'd expect for Winter losses. Most importantly it provides me with great joy, gas savings & gets me everywhere I need to go on a daily basis. I enjoy watching alot of youtube video's on the truck and find the most meaningful to be those that provide good education (i.e. @Aminorjourney 's recent Winter tire video), I'll always filter out those creators whom focus on negativity without discussing the positives of owning the Truck. they are easy to spot as a vehicle is neither all bad or all good.
That is actually really good. The GOM on my Lariat ER has been showing about 185 miles at 90% in NY.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Hoovie is just plain lying. He's not dumb. He knows what he's doing is being purposefully misleading.

Cold weather doesn't result in anywhere near 50% range loss when comparing apples-to-apples use case. More like ~20%, in my experience. But, he was also driving 75mph and purposely not following any of the methods for minimizing range loss, so his TOTAL range loss was ~45% from rated *combined* range.

Very annoying.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hoovie is just plain lying. He's not dumb. He knows what he's doing is being purposefully misleading.

Cold weather doesn't result in anywhere near 50% range loss when comparing apples-to-apples use case. More like ~20%, in my experience. But, he was also driving 75mph and purposely not following any of the methods for minimizing range loss, so his TOTAL range loss was ~45% from rated *combined* range.

Very annoying.
I have seen up to 40% range loss in the cold in our Mach-e, but that was on a local drive (so lots of stopping with the heat running) and without any pre-heating or pre-conditioning. Apples to Apples in the summer that is a very efficient drive, so it is possible.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I have seen up to 40% range loss in the cold in our Mach-e, but that was on a local drive (so lots of stopping with the heat running) and without any pre-heating or pre-conditioning. Apples to Apples in the summer that is a very efficient drive, so it is possible.
Yes, my experience is on longer drives where the HVAC is not as big of a percentage of usage as it is in really short drives. I'm sure if I just blasted the heat and drove 75mph for 30 miles (Hoovie), I could make the efficiency look really bad. But when I drove 800+ miles in a couple days of 15-45* weather, the efficiency was substantially more than 50% of rated highway efficiency. It was way more than 50% of rated *combined* efficiency, even.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I mean I understand it’s possible but you have to be wanting for these results to happen. I can make my 35 mpg Miata drop to 15 mpg real quick. I am ok with pointing out the range discrepancies in the winter but do it as an EV owner would do it.

What really irritated me was the whole he had to charge 2 hours before leaving, like he couldn’t go to an EV Station and get what he needed in 20 min.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I wonder how much the heated seats vs non-heated seats really contributes to this range loss? In my XLT SR my GOM starts around 120 miles at 90% on the coldest days, which is 58% stated range. I keep my heat at 70 and don't have the ability to precondition. So my range on the GOM is not quite 50%, but it's also not so far removed from the number where someone saying 50% is spreading wild misinformation.

What I don't know is actual results, as I've never driven down to 0%. If the GOM is being conservative, maybe actual range is 65%? If it's being liberal, maybe it's actually 50%? I'm not about to conduct this test on my end.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Its possible but not the "norm" as Hoovie and the other morons conveniently forget to relate to the audience.

Also..how cold was it outside? I mean there's winter and then there is upstate NY winter....

(FWIW I sitting at ~ 240mi on a 95% charge the past week of commuting downtown)

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I wonder how much the heated seats vs non-heated seats really contributes to this range loss? In my XLT SR my GOM starts around 120 miles at 90% on the coldest days, which is 58% stated range. I keep my heat at 70 and don't have the ability to precondition. So my range on the GOM is not quite 50%, but it's also not so far removed from the number where someone saying 50% is spreading wild misinformation.

What I don't know is actual results, as I've never driven down to 0%. If the GOM is being conservative, maybe actual range is 65%? If it's being liberal, maybe it's actually 50%? I'm not about to conduct this test on my end.
Would your 58% range also be the same in another EV?

Hoover trashes the SR while praising the longer range Hummer without conducting the whole test…. Then Larry Lynch follows up with a video to continue the nonsense. It’s insanity.
Sponsored