• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Disappointed with Winter Range, I didn’t expect 50% Reduction

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Its possible but not the "norm" as Hoovie and the other morons conveniently forget to relate to the audience.

Also..how cold was it outside? I mean there's winter and then there is upstate NY winter....

(FWIW I sitting at ~ 240mi on a 95% charge the past week of commuting downtown)
It was around 0F, so cold, but nothing too crazy. The bigger issue is that heat just kills your efficiency at slow speeds since heat is power over time and not over distance. This was at an average speed of ~15mph (35mph zone with stop lights and signs).

The good news is that local driving like that is when you don't really need to care about range. Once you get up to highway speeds, the heat has a much smaller impact on energy used per mile.

I agree that with proper preconditioning and on the highway 20% to 30% is a more realistic number.

Also - I suspect my number is low since I am doing a lot of lower speed driving lately and pre-conditioning seems to be mostly broken on my truck.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Drive it 50 miles and see what happens. Turn around, you'll still have plenty of range to make it home. I'll bet you'll have plenty left over.
I don't disagree with this statement, but the GOM says what it says, so to some extent I need to trust it.

I also think Ford shot themselves in the foot with bad press based on one serious flaw in their trims. The lack of heated seats has a significant impact on range, so much so that the MY23 trucks have an extra 10 miles estimated from their addition. The 50% winter range stories may all look like 60% winter range stories, if Ford simply added what should be a necessity in an EV in colder climates. Since they didn't, they have to eat the bad press.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
What I don't know is actual results, as I've never driven down to 0%. If the GOM is being conservative, maybe actual range is 65%? If it's being liberal, maybe it's actually 50%? I'm not about to conduct this test on my end.
My experience so far is the GOM is on the conservative side. Today the temperature was in the mid fifties and I was getting around 2 M/KwH. The GOM was still giving me a range based off of 1.3 / 1.4 M/KwH which is what I was getting when the temp was 30F and I was hauling a ton of feed.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
My experience so far is the GOM is on the conservative side. Today the temperature was in the mid fifties and I was getting around 2 M/KwH. The GOM was still giving me a range based off of 1.3 / 1.4 M/KwH which is what I was getting when the temp was 30F and I was hauling a ton of feed.
Yup, correct!
That's why Ford recently came out with Distance to Empty improvement OTA.

The MME owners are starting to see the update and they are seeing more realistic numbers than the super conservative GOM of the recent past...

Ford F-150 Lightning Disappointed with Winter Range, I didn’t expect 50% Reduction Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 6.53.57 AM

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
That is actually really good. The GOM on my Lariat ER has been showing about 185 miles at 90% in NY.
Yep - my Lariat ER is getting 200 at a full charge. Some people gripe about the range drop. Would they be happier if it still said 300, but wasn’t even close?

I am happy that Ford is pretty accurate at guessing how much range is actually left. I find that more useful than battery percent. Also, it is kind of a game for me to see if I can get more than it says. Guess I’m easily entertained 😂

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yup, correct!
That's why Ford recently came out with Distance to Empty improvement OTA.

The MME owners are starting to see the update and they are seeing more realistic numbers than the super conservative GOM of the recent past...
Just to clarify this - Ford tested an improved DTE for a while, and this is rolling it out. In doing this rollout, it basically resets EV history and people see a very high number. On my Mach-E, I went from a range of around 190 - 200 at 100% to 284, is around the highest I've ever seen. This morning I'm at 262 because I haven't driven much and the temps haven't dropped back down to the 20s yet.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I don't disagree with this statement, but the GOM says what it says, so to some extent I need to trust it.

I also think Ford shot themselves in the foot with bad press based on one serious flaw in their trims. The lack of heated seats has a significant impact on range, so much so that the MY23 trucks have an extra 10 miles estimated from their addition. The 50% winter range stories may all look like 60% winter range stories, if Ford simply added what should be a necessity in an EV in colder climates. Since they didn't, they have to eat the bad press.
Heated seats would be really nice! Since it's not all that cold where I live it's not a huge issue for me. But I'll be taking my Ioniq 5 for any longer cold weather drives with the heat pump and heated seats and steering wheel.
Sponsored