• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
One pedal mode, though, is totally DIFFERENT. It IS applying the physical brakes when you come off of the pedal. So, YES, the brake lights DO activate.
Slowing by using regen is NOT braking, though, so, NO, no brake lights happen. Period.
That's incorrect. The motors are used as generators when you decelerate in one pedal mode. The electromagnetic resistance in this mode is what slows you down. The physical brakes are blended when you're nearly stopped or if you provide input to the brake pedal that exceeds the resistance that can be generated by the motors (e.g. a panic stop).

Your brake lights will illuminate if you hit the brake pedal or if you reach a certain threshold of deceleration.

Your brake lights wouldn't illuminate if you were driving very conservatively and didn't exceed that threshold of deceleration.

Your brake lights should illuminate when you come to a complete stop, whether or not you have your foot on the brake pedal. If they're not lighting up, there is a problem with your specific vehicle.

Edit: spelling
Sponsored

Last edited:

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2021 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Network Engineer
FWIW, the BMW i3 has applied friction brakes to imitate regen at high SOC since 2015 at the latest, but probably since it's debut in 2013. It's a great feature. I guess that means Ford doesn't do that, yet. I've never charged my truck high enough to find out.
Figured someone else had, Tesla isn't the first for much, just the popular implementation. Much like Apple. That's why I threw "That I'm aware of," bc I've seen the regen bar on my wife's Model Y add the dark bar to show that it was using friction brakes, and I was too lazy to dig too deep that night. Probably the massive headache from reading OP's "I hAve TO 'type' so CRaziLY for EMPHAsis" x_x

Thanks for the new info, I had a neighbor in Germany with an i3, cool little car!

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
That's incorrect. The motors are used as generators when you decelerate in one pedal mode. The electromagnetic resistance in this mode is what slows you down. The physical brakes are blended when you're nearly stopped or if you provide input to the brake pedal that exceeds the resistance that can be generated by the motors (e.g. a panic stop).

Your brake lights will illuminate if you hit the brake pedal or if you reach a certain threshold of deceleration.

Your brake lights wouldn't illuminate if you were driving very conservatively and didn't exceed that threshold of deceleration.

Your brake lights should illuminate when you come to a complete stop, whether or not you have your foot on the brake pedal. If they're not lighting up, there is a problem with your specific vehicle.

again, I never said I came to a stop... actually I NEVER came to a stop, that's the point.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
WHY does the OP TALK like THIS. It makes EVERYTHING way harder to READ. You really DON'T need to CAPITALIZE every THIRD or FOURTH word to make your POINT. It just MAKES you look kinda DUMB.

There's a bit of truth in this silliness. In sport mode, the regen is not powerful enough to activate the brake lights in my 3 minutes of testing. If you stop at a stoplight or something though, they absolutely come on. And if you have brake hold on, they stay illuminated.
The caps and lower case made me think of this

Ford F-150 Lightning Do Brake Lights 'work' while Slowing/REGENERATION?    ... the answer is now confirmed: ransom_note_2433

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I didn’t understand it that way. Thanks for clarifying.
That makes sense. If brake lights came on whenever speed was declining, they’d be on so much that they’d be ineffective. I believe the Ford algorithm intends to mimic what happens in a car without regen begins gradual braking.
So I was apparently so bored driving today that I tried the 1PD out a few ways.

The brake lights only activated when 1PD was activated and did so immediately after I took my foot off the accelerator. I even deactivated the 1PD and let the truck slow, then activated it and the brake lights turned on immediately. No perceptible slowing down when the lights went on either. I did this in both sport and normal mode.

I think it's more of a computer program thing because there is a pretty drastic difference between 1PD on and off.

Sponsored

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2021 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Network Engineer
One pedal mode, though, is totally DIFFERENT. It IS applying the physical brakes when you come off of the pedal. So, YES, the brake lights DO activate.
Slowing by using regen is NOT braking, though, so, NO, no brake lights happen. Period.
Not that you actually read anything people tell you, to include the NHTSA definition on what they consider "braking" in terms of lamp illumination (to reiterate, basically it's slowing down with intent, regardless of application of friction brakes, thanks to @Gimme_my_MME ), here's a nice write-up for you on how regenerative braking works:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/regenerative-braking.htm

Little blurb:
"With regenerative brakes, on the other hand, the system that drives the vehicle does the majority of the braking. When the driver steps on the brake pedal of an electric or hybrid vehicle, these types of brakes put the vehicle's electric motor into reverse mode, causing it to run backwards, thus slowing the car's wheels."

So not only does using regenerative braking not necessarily use the friction pads, you can even hit your brake pedal and not engage the friction brakes! Crazy, amiright?

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
The aggressive 1 peddle is my only real complaint so far. I wish they had a user adjustable system like the Kia EV6.
I find the Lightning regen to be equivalent to the "level 3" on my Ioniq 5. It is definitely less aggressive than the "I-pedal" in the Ioniq 5. Adjustable levels would be nice but I only ever use 1-pedal so I'm used to the deceleration. When slowing down too fast I just keep my foot on the accelerator slightly. The Hyundai/Kia folks have made a nice vehicle- I liked it better than the MachE so have my first Hyundai.

Mike Dubs

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Same here, there is a point where they engage and you can see the bright rear lights come one. Which is why I go all the way to the Right lane with all the Big Rigs going downhill.
it is funny, before my wife and I even left the dealership, I asked her to step out and watch to see if my brake lights go on when I take my foot off the pedal. It was in normal mode, and they went on just as expected. We then continued with our weekend test drive and loved it.
Sponsored