• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Purely from model S experience, one pedal...slowing...is a factor of how much you back off the pedal.
Sure in a stick you can coast or down shift with no brake light.
But when you are on the highway and let of the "gas" and slow rather significantly, you want the brake lights to illuminate.
Certainly, there should be factors, but...they should light up at some point.
Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
With adaptive cruise (assist 2.0) going downhill, steep enough you can see the mi/kwhr increasing, are the brake lights active?

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Driving today with 1PD my brake lights absolutely triggered when I released my foot from the pedal or released it fast enough to slow it.

Very easy to see in the side mirror with the way the rear tail lights are designed.

According to FDRS I have no pending updates, for what it's worth. Thanks @Mike G

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
That was one of the first things I checked with 1PD and with adaptive cruise my brake lights absolutely triggered when I released my foot from the pedal or let the adaptive cruise slow me to a stop. I can see in the side mirror the rear tail brake lights are are working.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
With adaptive cruise (assist 2.0) going downhill, steep enough you can see the mi/kwhr increasing, are the brake lights active?
It should not, as the CC should be maintaining the speed of the vehicle even though the REGEN is balancing again gravitational acceleration.

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
They work in 1PD for sure. The rears stick out to the side and I can see them in my side mirror and they come on when I release the acceleration pedal (no braking). 🤷🏻‍♂️
I've noticed this when towing as well when my high brake light in the bed reflects off the RV, I was always curious, but my fears were put to rest seeing them come on regularly when lifting.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If I turn off 1PD, would the break pedal use only regen up to a point until regen is maxed out and then start adding mechanical break or it is always blending from the start and change the proportion as the pedal goes down? Would the break light in this case activate pending the position of the pedal? or it is another sensor somewhere that measures deceleration?

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Well this might explain why we've seen two forum members trucks get rear ended. I won't be using one pedal drive for this reason alone. The drivers in Charlotte, NC are bad enough I don't need to give em another reason to not be paying attention because of my non brake lights as I stop
I use 1 pedal drive all the time. I drive regularly with cruise control.

When I am nut using cruise control, the second I take my foot off of the accelerator, the brake lights most certainly do light up. When NOT using 1 pedal, the truck slows similarly to an ICE vehicle and the brakes don't light up.

I use 1 pedal as I have gotten used to it, it works at traffic lights as an engine brake and the truck doesn't move and the brake lights are on.

I have this (and many other) weird quirks about me that I will often test my brake lights and directionals to make sure they work. That is how I have found the lights working in this manner, day and night.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Based on my observations with my truck, and the observations of every other Lightning owner that has posted on this thread. It seems the OP's story is fabricated. This type of stuff belongs on Hoovie's channel. :LOL:

For everyone else coming to this thread because of the clickbait:

Brake lights work with 1PD. End of story.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Tesla is the only one that I'm aware of that will compensate with friction braking, and only during very cold weather or when your vehicle's charge is too great to fully take advantage of one pedal driving regen.
FWIW, the BMW i3 has applied friction brakes to imitate regen at high SOC since 2015 at the latest, but probably since it's debut in 2013. It's a great feature. I guess that means Ford doesn't do that, yet. I've never charged my truck high enough to find out.

EDIT: The i3 also had 1PD that went all the way to 0mph way before Tesla, and the implementation is better than it was in my Model 3 (Lightning 1PD is much like the i3 in that regard). Lots of other compromises with the i3, BUT they had the regen programming down.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I use 1 pedal drive all the time. I drive regularly with cruise control.

When I am nut using cruise control, the second I take my foot off of the accelerator, the brake lights most certainly do light up. When NOT using 1 pedal, the truck slows similarly to an ICE vehicle and the brakes don't light up.

I use 1 pedal as I have gotten used to it, it works at traffic lights as an engine brake and the truck doesn't move and the brake lights are on.

I have this (and many other) weird quirks about me that I will often test my brake lights and directionals to make sure they work. That is how I have found the lights working in this manner, day and night.
That's what it seems like with one pedal. The OP seems to think they can use sport mode for regen braking and not display they're slowing down SMH the cop should of followed through with a ticket In my opinion.

Last edited:

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
That's what it seems like with one pedal. The OP seems to thinks they can use sport mode for regen braking and not display they're slowing down SMH the cop should of followed through with a ticket In my opinion.
Thank you. I'm recovering from a few rough overnights, so breathing properly may be a stretch right now.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my 'story' is fact... there is not fabrication. The officer NEVER saw my brake lights, because I never APPLIED my brakes - I was only 'slowing' with regen working in my favor, so much so that no brakes were ever used.

now, some are CONFUSING slowing by regen with 'one pedal' mode. I did not use one pedal mode, I simply used the regen in 'Sport' mode, which is much heavier than in 'Normal' mode, or even 'Towing' mode - this slows you to such an extent that you may sometimes never 'need' to actually apply the physical brakes - if all situations align.

What the officer 'saw' was me NEVER APPLYING MY BRAKES. So, of course, he NEVER saw any brake lights. Simple.

One pedal mode, though, is totally DIFFERENT. It IS applying the physical brakes when you come off of the pedal. So, YES, the brake lights DO activate.
Slowing by using regen is NOT braking, though, so, NO, no brake lights happen. Period.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
my 'story' is fact... there is not fabrication. The officer NEVER saw my brake lights, because I never APPLIED my brakes - I was only 'slowing' with regen working in my favor, so much so that no brakes were ever used.

now, some are CONFUSING slowing by regen with 'one pedal' mode. I did not use one pedal mode, I simply used the regen in 'Sport' mode, which is much heavier than in 'Normal' mode, or even 'Towing' mode - this slows you to such an extent that you may sometimes never 'need' to actually apply the physical brakes - if all situations align.

What the officer 'saw' was me NEVER APPLYING MY BRAKES. So, of course, he NEVER saw any brake lights. Simple.

One pedal mode, though, is totally DIFFERENT. It IS applying the physical brakes when you come off of the pedal. So, YES, the brake lights DO activate.
Slowing by using regen is NOT braking, though, so, NO, no brake lights happen. Period.
Based on my observations with my truck, and the observations of every other Lightning owner that has posted on this thread. It seems the OP's story is fabricated. This type of stuff belongs on Hoovie's channel. :LOL:

For everyone else coming to this thread because of the clickbait:

Brake lights work with 1PD. End of story.
Hoovies next video title "regen braking got me pulled over"
Sponsored