• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Do you guys think the XLT EXT battery is a good deal??

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Leaf SV+, 2016 Ram Big Horn
Occupation
watchmaker
Found a 22 XLT with EXT range battery and 9.6 pro power. It's a package 310A truck with 18" wheels that was ordered for fleet sales. Approx 10 months old with less than 300 miles on it for $62,622 OTD.

A new XLT EXT range with 312A package rings the bell at around $73k but comes with the tax incentive and would have more warranty.

I'm also wondering if X plan will be available on the lightning anytime soon.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Found a 22 XLT with EXT range battery and 9.6 pro power. It's a package 310A truck with 18" wheels that was ordered for fleet sales. Approx 10 months old with less than 300 miles on it for $62,622 OTD.

A new XLT EXT range with 312A package rings the bell at around $73k but comes with the tax incentive and would have more warranty.

I'm also wondering if X plan will be available on the lightning anytime soon.
When you say "ordered for fleet sales" was it ever titled and/or put into service?

OP
OP

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
When you say "ordered for fleet sales" was it ever titled and/or put into service?
yes, it's now a used vehicle that esstentially hasn't been driven more than a couple hundred miles.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes, it's now a used vehicle that esstentially hasn't been driven more than a couple hundred miles.
Do you have enough tax liability to take the full $7500 tax credit? (i.e. taxable income ~$95k)

OP
OP

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
Do you have enough tax liability to take the full $7500 tax credit? (i.e. taxable income ~$95k)
yes, I have enough tax liability. If I were to buy new, I would wait til year end and try to score a deal on a 23 or just order a new 24.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes, I have enough tax liability. If I were to buy new, I would wait til year end and try to score a deal on a 23 or just order a new 24.
Given those circumstances, I think its a pretty good deal. Personally I'd take it at that price given nearly perfect(like new) condition.

A lot can change by the end of the year. Also don't expect any big changes for MY24. With t3 coming soon, Ford isn't going to invest a lot of $$ in Lightning updates.

Buy and enjoy!

OP
OP

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
Given those circumstances, I think its a pretty good deal. Personally I'd take it at that price given nearly perfect(like new) condition.

A lot can change by the end of the year. Also don't expect any big changes for MY24. With t3 coming soon, Ford isn't going to invest a lot of $$ in Lightning updates.

Buy and enjoy!

I'm still up in the
I believe the tax credit for used vehicles is $4,000. h
ttps://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit
The used vehicle tax credit only applies to transactions $25k and below.

Taranis

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT w/ extended range
Occupation
Government -- energy policy
Ah, very true. Then I don't think you'll be able to get the credit if the truck qualifies as used instead of new.

Taranis

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Also, one note. The $7500 credit can be taken by the dealer at the point of sale beginning in January 2024, so you won't have to meet the income requirements from then on (in my understanding). The dealer will be able to just give you the rebate at the time of purchase.

Sponsored
OP
OP

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
Also, one note. The $7500 credit can be taken by the dealer at the point of sale beginning in January 2024, so you won't have to meet the income requirements from then on (in my understanding). The dealer will be able to just give you the rebate at the time of purchase.
This is incorrect. The income requirements will still apply and you can only claim the credit once every three years.

Taranis

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If that's true, and I'm not doubting it is, it seems that would add an extra layer of complexity and burden for the dealer and even the purchaser. The purchaser would have to prove their household income meets the federal requirements. When you file taxes that's easy because all of your income info is in your tax return. But if you're doing this at the dealer then the dealer would have to require that you provide a copy of your last tax return, and then I expect they would have to submit a copy of that return with any request for reimbursement of the rebate to the IRS. So maybe that's the case but it seems poorly conceived if so.

And on the income limits (for folks' info):
The relevant modified AGI thresholds (for the EV tax credit) are as follows:
  • Married filing jointly or filing as a qualifying surviving spouse or a qualifying widow(er) - $300,000
  • Head of household - $225,000
  • All other taxpayers - $150,000

OP
OP

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
If that's true, and I'm not doubting it is, it seems that would add an extra layer of complexity and burden for the dealer and even the purchaser. The purchaser would have to prove their household income meets the federal requirements. When you file taxes that's easy because all of your income info is in your tax return. But if you're doing this at the dealer then the dealer would have to require that you provide a copy of your last tax return, and then I expect they would have to submit a copy of that return with any request for reimbursement of the rebate to the IRS. So maybe that's the case but it seems poorly conceived if so.

And on the income limits (for folks' info):
The relevant modified AGI thresholds (for the EV tax credit) are as follows:
  • Married filing jointly or filing as a qualifying surviving spouse or a qualifying widow(er) - $300,000
  • Head of household - $225,000
  • All other taxpayers - $150,000
The burden will be on the taxpayer and not the dealerships. Dealers will continue their shady practices and push the tax incentive on every customer. When the customer files their taxes, the EV tax credit that was taken at the time of purchase will be effectively "added back in" to the tax filers MAGI. This is similar to the MAGI calucations already in place for Obamacare where you predict what your income will be for the following year in order to come up with a tax credit. I'm willing to bet many tax payers will end up screwed at tax time and lose the tax credit due to unforseen circumstances. (capital gains, bonus, obamacare, congress moving the goal posts). There is no IRS guidance what will happen in those cases. In the case obamacare, millions of people lie about their predicted income just to qualify for health insurance. Thus far, the IRS has chosen NOT to make those people pay back the premiums they were not entitled to. This guidance is mostly due to COVID, politics, and medicaid expansion. I expect the IRS guidance on the EV tax credit to be cut and dry like most tax credits. You qualify or you don't and if you took the credit at the time of sale but then don't qualify when you do your taxes, the credit will simply be added back into your income.

Taranis

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So how does the dealer recoup the lost revenue from the tax credit? I figure they would either have to ask the IRS for a refund or they would file it as a deduction from their own taxes? How would that work?

OP
OP

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
So how does the dealer recoup the lost revenue from the tax credit? I figure they would either have to ask the IRS for a refund or they would file it as a deduction from their own taxes? How would that work?
The dealership won't lose any money (unless maybe there was intentional fraud on their part). The burden will shift to the tax payer after the purchase and if they don't qualify at tax time, the tax credit will be added back in as income. (this is the same mechanism as obamacare) Again, the IRS hasn't released guidance on these mechanisms yet and probably won't until well AFTER jan 24.
Sponsored