• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This is one of the reasons I really want the late 2023 model, as it will have Android Auto instead of Sync4 - plus full compatibility with Carplay2.
It *might* have AA. I know what Ford said but to do a mid year model change on a significant feature...I bet it ends up being released on 2023 on the MY24 Lightning.
Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
This is one of the reasons I really want the late 2023 model, as it will have Android Auto instead of Sync4 - plus full compatibility with Carplay2.

Using your cell phone to perform most of the GUI functions is, to my mind a better idea because you can upgrade your phone for a faster chip, more memory, or a better OS.

I know some people will be freaked out by this idea, but personally, working in the tech space I am looking forward to it.
Can’t wait for CarPlay 2 . The apple
Demo at developers conference this year was amazing. The thing I love about the lightning over Tesla is wireless CarPlay .

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

Using your cell phone to perform most of the GUI functions is, to my mind a better idea because you can upgrade your phone for a faster chip, more memory, or a better OS.

I know some people will be freaked out by this idea, but personally, working in the tech space I am looking forward to it.
Switching to AA from QNX is not a trivial process. It's not just a matter of switching the head unit and requires overhaul of the communication links with the body modules. I know Farley promised MY2023 but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped back to MY2024 or beyond.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Switching to AA from QNX is not a trivial process. It's not just a matter of switching the head unit and requires overhaul of the communication links with the body modules. I know Farley promised MY2023 but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped back to MY2024 or beyond.
My guess is it doesn't hit the Lightning until Gen 2. Ford said it is coming to something in 2023, not necessarily the Lightning

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I own a Y, and have a lightning on order (May 19 what have I got to lose reservation). Test drove the Lightning last week (same trim Lariat) and I have to say the Tesla is light years ahead of ford in technology. Most likely I will flip the Lightning if the market is right or just decline delivery (I'm only in for the $100 refundable deposit) and wait for the Cybertruck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
It *might* have AA. I know what Ford said but to do a mid year model change on a significant feature...I bet it ends up being released on 2023 on the MY24 Lightning.
You are probably correct.

However, my hope is, that from what I have seen of the new Lightning Production line is that they can pull it off.

What makes the new line different?

They are using the Tesla model of specific robotic carts that carry the chassis/components. With this newer production model, they should be able to modify the production of the components mid-cycle, or in-cycle very fast.

Basically, they are taking LEAN manufacturing to the next level, and Tesla was the first to start modifying the same cars on the same line while the line is still running - Ford looks to be starting to do the same thing, and they have chosen the Lightning as the first test of this sort of model.

So, I hope they can pull it off for 2 reasons:
  • First, I really want the Carplay 2 Feature Set
  • Second, this will prove out their ability to move to a newer LEAN model and stay flexible

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You are probably correct.

However, my hope is, that from what I have seen of the new Lightning Production line is that they can pull it off.

What makes the new line different?

They are using the Tesla model of specific robotic carts that carry the chassis/components. With this newer production model, they should be able to modify the production of the components mid-cycle, or in-cycle very fast.

Basically, they are taking LEAN manufacturing to the next level, and Tesla was the first to start modifying the same cars on the same line while the line is still running - Ford looks to be starting to do the same thing, and they have chosen the Lightning as the first test of this sort of model.

So, I hope they can pull it off for 2 reasons:
  • First, I really want the Carplay 2 Feature Set
  • Second, this will prove out their ability to move to a newer LEAN model and stay flexible
The ICE assembly line could handle an infotainment change mid-cycle with no problem. The dash is already assembled when it comes into the plant and you'd just have to do a running change on the modules to install.

The line is not the problem with a minor mid-cycle change, it's the lack of wanting to deviate from how things have been done for 100+ years.
Sponsored