• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dog Mode

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
That is one reason I leave the car on when out side my garage.

The dog second.

The battery and relays third.

My comfort fourth.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hello all!

Our Lightning is officially signed for and awaiting the recall fix for pickup! Very excited!

That being said, in planning a trip this week, we realized how limited the app is now that we are playing with it. I hate to do another Tesla compare, but I have to here...

We have two dogs and they go everywhere with us, and we drive a lot. For reference, we did a last minute drive this past Friday. Left Boston at noon, got to PA for a big work party at 7 PM, leaving the dogs safely in the car, and left at 10 PM to drive home (stayed night in CT). Without dog mode, we could not have eaten while charging, gone to the party, or enjoyed some stops on the way.

Now I read the threads on here and we are hopeful a Pet Mode is coming (especially with the patent and Rivian releasing it), but we need some solution for now. I was always taught to not leave animals in cars so I am not sure how people normally do without dog mode.

We expected to be able to work around the pet mode manually. We thought the app would let us start the truck and set a temperature but just realized today that we can start it, but cannot set the climate. More than that it doesn't tell us the exterior or interior temperatures. We knew we didn't have dog mode, but assumed these manual settings for clinate were basic app functionality in other EVs; they have been in Tesla since day 1 for us (2018).

So what we are looking at is buying a Waggle (silly waste of money but Ford hasn't given us a mode yet....) To monitor temps, but how do we leave the climate running? It looks like the app shuts down climate after 15 minutes, but we can keep adding 15 minutes? So is our solution to set a temp in the truck, lock it, start it from the app, and set a timer to extend the run time every 15 minutes? Then we have the Waggle as a backup in case this doesn't work and temps rise.

I feel like we are missing something, any input is appreciated! We are feeling some stress on the purchase with the hassel this is right now, especially since we cannot sell it for a year if this becomes an issue.

(Admission: I never planned on being this person, but yes we are marginally crazy dog people who treat them like human kids).
Here is a Dog Mode Work around until Ford provides it:
  • AC / Heat On: Be sure it’s set to “Auto” and to, say, 73 degrees.
  • Truck On: Leave the Truck Running.
  • Lights to Off: Turn the dial to the left until it’s “off”.
  • “Power Down” Timer Off: Turn Off “Vehicle Power Down Timer”: Note, if you shut truck off in error during this process, you MUST repeat this step. This must be done every time.
  • Truck Image
  • “Settings”
  • “Vehicle”
  • Turn off first setting, “Vehicle Power Down” – This must be manually toggled to off EVERY time (because when the car is shut off, this automatically “resets” to “timer on”.)
  • Manual Paper Sign: Put a “Dog Mode” sign over the display.
  • Open Door: Dash will say, “Truck is Running.” Press “OK”.
  • Take Remote + Exit: Take the remote with you; exit the truck.
  • Double Chirp: The truck will give a double chirp; this does NOT mean the truck is locked. Check the “door lock” buttons on door.
  • Lock Truck: Using the Remote or by simultaneously pressing the “00” and “7-8” buttons on the door jam.
  • Confirm Running: Confirm the truck is still running. (The dashboard should look like it does when you are driving.)

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just set it and keep truck running when you leave?

inside the truck you can set auto start to use last settings or auto climat with remote start.
For a few reasons, it's not that simple. Here are the instructions on how to do a "DIY dog mode" until Ford provides it:
  • “Power Down” Timer Off: Turn Off “Vehicle Power Down Timer”: Note, if you shut truck off in error during this process, you MUST repeat this step. This must be done every time.
  • Truck Image
  • “Settings”
  • “Vehicle”
  • Turn off first setting, “Vehicle Power Down” – This must be manually toggled to off EVERY time (because when the car is shut off, this automatically “resets” to “timer on”.)
  • Double Chirp: The truck will give a double chirp; this does NOT mean the truck is locked. Check the “door lock” buttons on door.
  • Lock Truck: Using the Remote or by simultaneously pressing the “00” and “7-8” buttons on the door jam.
  • Confirm Running: Confirm the truck is still running. (The dashboard should look like it does when you are driving.)

Last edited:

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
1. You can leave the vehicle on if you turn it on and lock it with the key or phone and it'll keep the climate you have set.

2. Remote start from FordPass or the key uses the last climate settings the vehicle was set to. But it will not use the full fan speed while it's in remote start mode without the key.

As an aside while Dog Mode is a great feature in other vehicles I just don't like the idea of it. You shouldn't bring you animal in a vehicle with you and leave it unattended for hours on end in a potentially hot metal box. Failures on vehicles can happen at anytime for various reasons. If you're going to a place where you can bring your dog with you and you'll be gone for more than 15 min. You should probably just leave your pet at home where you know they'll be alright.
Just leaving the car on will not work for a few reasons (which I'll not detail here.) As for your suggested 15 minute limit, I need about an hour of "dog mode" when I drive (with only my dog) from my house in Massachusetts to my camp in Maine and I need to do a huge grocery shopping on the way. Here is a "DIY Dog Mode" until Ford provides it.
  • Truck Image
  • “Settings”
  • “Vehicle”

Last edited:

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
One trick I have is to start the truck from the passenger seat and then close the passenger door. It keeps running/climate control for at least 20 minutes that I tested.

Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Can you remotely monitor the inside temperature from the app?

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
what many Mach-E owners do is use the keypad to lock the vehicle - the car will let you do that with a keyfob or PaaK phone (I know we don't have that on a Lightning yet) in the car. Then you can use the keypad to unlock when you come back, but leave the car fully running and locked while you're gone.

I also will use the "sketch" app to put a note on the screen like the Tesla pet mode screen. it's not as "cool" as the Tesla screen but it gets the point across.

The only issue that folks have run into is that there's a long-standing Mach-E bug where the 30-minute timer sometimes reenables and so the car turns off, but if you're leaving the pet in the car for that long, you're back to the question of whether that's a good idea or not in the first place.

but for like a five minute trip into a store or something, it's fine.
The 30 minute timer is not a bug; that's how Ford designed it. It only "deactivates" for one time. Here's a "DIY Dog Mode" until Ford provides a real dog mode:
  • Truck Image
  • “Settings”
  • “Vehicle”

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
One trick I have is to start the truck from the passenger seat and then close the passenger door. It keeps running/climate control for at least 20 minutes that I tested.
It will only do it for 30 minutes. You need to reset the timer. Here are full "DIY Dog Mode" instructions until Ford provides a real dog mode:
  • Truck Image
  • “Settings”
  • “Vehicle”

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
It will only do it for 30 minutes. You need to reset the timer. Here are full "DIY Dog Mode" instructions until Ford provides a real dog mode:
  • <snip>
@FirstF150InCasco - thanks for the work-around! I assumed this could be done. I want to be able to use Dog Mode as Camp Mode (HVAC overnight). Here are a couple questions that address that use case:

How long will it stay in dog mode? Until the battery runs down to the preset level you have chosen? What if you are 150 miles from the nearest charging station on a trip you have set/planned - will that alter the preset? Do you have to do anything special with that?

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Trucks have always had a dog mode?

It's called a bed.
Unless you’re the guy following a pickup
see the dog fall out while attached to a leash tied to the bed.

Sponsored

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Unless you’re the guy following a pickup
see the dog fall out while attached to a leash tied to the bed.
Yea...that would be awful.

They should be well strapped down in a good travel crate if that's the route you wanna go.

Ford F-150 Lightning Dog Mode IMG_20220715_113015

Ford F-150 Lightning Dog Mode 20220715_202351

Picked her up a month ago.

Last edited:

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea...that would be awful.

They should be well strapped down in a good travel crate if that's the route you wanna go.

IMG_20220715_113015.jpg

20220715_202351.jpg

Picked her up a month ago.
Dog people!!!

2019 ice. Since 90 days and still waiting for shipped of lightning
Ford F-150 Lightning Dog Mode 238C64C3-13FA-4159-BCE0-439BAB86FC6E

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poor little guy, probably kept up with you for a mile or so. Tough little mutt.
Wasn’t my dog that fell out.
‘I had to see it.
‘it was Awful .

that’s a pic of my dog that’s still waiting for a lightning shipped notice.

First Name
Jelani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
Data Engineer
Just leaving the car on will not work for a few reasons (which I'll not detail here.) As for your suggested 15 minute limit, I need about an hour of "dog mode" when I drive (with only my dog) from my house in Massachusetts to my camp in Maine and I need to do a huge grocery shopping on the way. Here is a "DIY Dog Mode" until Ford provides it.
  • Truck Image
  • “Settings”
  • “Vehicle”
Interesting, I didn't realize they made this task more cumbersome than in the ICE F-150. In that version all you need to do is just leave the vehicle with the key while the truck is running and lock it. The climate setting will still run like if you were in the vehicle with the key. You could also try leaving the fob in the vehicle and locking it via the FordPass app but thats not the best option if you're in a place with a weak cell signal.
Sponsored