• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DTE update fails 55+ times, 34 days at Dealer - No parts wait

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
@Ford Motor Company

just a moment for me to lament my poor dealership. I’ve read, here, about many responsive dealers, quickly ordering parts or addressing problem.

Took it in December after waiting 6 weeks for appointment.
-update modules to address crazy IR cameras
-adjust bumper
-Ford Pass Smart Hitch & Smart Scales report “take for service”

after 4 days, dealers notes I have side sensor error, but need to physically inspect. They park truck for 10 days before visually inspecting sensor connection.
return truck, don’t address any other items. Coincidentally while at dealer DTE starts failing install. 16 days @ dealer.

Return to dealer 2 weeks later. Specifically point out DTE updates has failed 25+ times. Plus other items from December trip that did not get touched. On cumulative day 25 I contact Ford customer service,. They contact dealer and bumper gets adjusted they update modules. 14/15 days at dealer.
Before leaving lot I check for software updates - screen empty.

3 days later DTE downloads and has been failing since. With some manual attempts it is now probably 60 failures. Yes, I know how to lock doors, turn off lights and not be fast charging. + praying to gods of all beliefs.

Returned to dealer this week to have them address December items + download failure from previous visit. How do they respond?

it’s been parked in their back lot since 8:35 when I dropped it off. Well if Ford collects data for their benefit, so can we.

my dealership should be better. They can’t begin to work with Ford Engineers if they don’t even plug it in to FDRS..

i‘m going to buy some cheese 🧀 to have with my whine. 😢
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
@Ford Motor Company

just a moment for me to lament my poor dealership. I’ve read, here, about many responsive dealers, quickly ordering parts or addressing problem.

Took it in December after waiting 6 weeks for appointment.
-update modules to address crazy IR cameras
-adjust bumper
-Ford Pass Smart Hitch & Smart Scales report “take for service”

after 4 days, dealers notes I have side sensor error, but need to physically inspect. They park truck for 10 days before visually inspecting sensor connection.
return truck, don’t address any other items. Coincidentally while at dealer DTE starts failing install. 16 days @ dealer.

Return to dealer 2 weeks later. Specifically point out DTE updates has failed 25+ times. Plus other items from December trip that did not get touched. On cumulative day 25 I contact Ford customer service,. They contact dealer and bumper gets adjusted they update modules. 14/15 days at dealer.
Before leaving lot I check for software updates - screen empty.

3 days later DTE downloads and has been failing since. With some manual attempts it is now probably 60 failures. Yes, I know how to lock doors, turn off lights and not be fast charging. + praying to gods of all beliefs.

Returned to dealer this week to have them address December items + download failure from previous visit. How do they respond?

it’s been parked in their back lot since 8:35 when I dropped it off. Well if Ford collects data for their benefit, so can we.

my dealership should be better. They can’t begin to work with Ford Engineers if they don’t even plug it in to FDRS..

i‘m going to buy some cheese 🧀 to have with my whine. 😢
Same thing has happened to me on all appointments, except the “20k service” where I had to pay out of pocket.

Its infuriating. Ford needs a mobile service like Tesla to address these software issues.

Mobile Service for EVs would open up more appointment spots for dealers and make more money from their ICE customers

Mobile Service now!

OP
OP
Labs4Lightning

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Same thing has happened to me on all appointments, except the “20k service” where I had to pay out of pocket.

Its infuriating. Ford needs a mobile service like Tesla to address these software issues.

Mobile Service for EVs would open up more appointment spots for dealers and make more money from their ICE customers

Mobile Service now!
@Ford Motor Company

another week has passed. Truck is sitting in same spot where it was parked 15 minutes after I dropped it off.

I’m just amazed after needing to bring it in 3 times for issues they never addressed it still sits there untouched.

36 days at dealer. 62+ software failures. Waited 6 weeks for that initial appointment.

yes even though other dealers are difficult to reach, i Think any additional service will have be at other dealer.

Owned 8 other fords, in total never been in shop for 30 days.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
@Ford Motor Company

another week has passed. Truck is sitting in same spot where it was parked 15 minutes after I dropped it off.

I’m just amazed after needing to bring it in 3 times for issues they never addressed it still sits there untouched.

36 days at dealer. 62+ software failures. Waited 6 weeks for that initial appointment.

yes even though other dealers are difficult to reach, i Think any additional service will have be at other dealer.

Go to a different dealer?

Sponsored

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
@Ford Motor Company

Have you received any update from the dealer?

I have had very similar issues with my truck. The DTE install failed 30+ times, then one day, it just stopped trying. Still have the alert in my app from January telling me it is scheduled, I have reset the truck, deleted the app and still shows pending the update in the app and website.

Dropped it off a week ago with Ford, they tell me it does not need an update. Not sure how that is possible as I am still on 3.5.4. Picked up the truck today after they told me they have done everything they can. Set the truck back up,reinstalled the app, still shows the message.

Dealer told me I needed to connect with Support to get them to fix the app notification.

when I dropped the truck off in November with the same Ford Pass Smart Hitch & Smart Scales report “take for service” you have, I was basically asked why I needed those in the app.

Looks like I am about to sell this truck. Have never bought a $100k vehicle with such poor customer service.

I have heard people slam Tesla, but have owned a few and have never had an issue when taking them in for service. They know why you are taking it in, if they have never taken longer than a day to return it, if the part they need to fix it is not received yet, they communicate and tell you when it is received. They come out to your location for small fixes. I dont want to buy the hideous Cyber Truck, but when you need software to operate the vehicle, I guess it is better to work with a tech company.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
My truck just sat at the dealer for 10 days. Today I hear that none of my concerns were found, including the software update. They claim it’s up to date (it’s not, I’m also in 3.5.4), and even the app says that it’s not. It’s just so disappointing. Didn’t even have a loaner in that period.

My ownership of the Lightning comes to an end this week. Taking a big L on the trade.

If anyone in central Texas wants a screaming deal on an ER model, get in touch asap.

Last edited:

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The truck spent a week at the dealer with them at least replacing the 12v battery and the Service Advisor telling me my truck had the DTE update and they had spoken to Ford. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with the OTA team, where they continued to say it did not have the update, but they could not push it to my truck based on how the update process works. They told me to wait for 2 weeks, if the message in the app did not go away, then to take it back to the dealer and give them my case number. Low and behold, 7 days later the message disappeared, and then 10 days later, the DTE update applied first try. It is baffling to me that the dealership is just that lazy or does not have the right tools to truly understand the truck.

Since November, I keep receiving the emails on the promised new UI in the 4.x release, but I still do not have that one. At least the dreaded DTE update is behind me. Hopefully everyone else is fairing better than I am.

EDIT: On another note, during the same period waiting for update, I received a message in the app talking about "app update" removing Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch due to lack of use...Well...I would have used it if it had ever worked...

Last edited:

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The truck spent a week at the dealer with them at least replacing the 12v battery and the Service Advisor telling me my truck had the DTE update and they had spoken to Ford. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with the OTA team, where they continued to say it did not have the update, but they could not push it to my truck based on how the update process works. They told me to wait for 2 weeks, if the message in the app did not go away, then to take it back to the dealer and give them my case number. Low and behold, 7 days later the message disappeared, and then 10 days later, the DTE update applied first try. It is baffling to me that the dealership is just that lazy or does not have the right tools to truly understand the truck.

Since November, I keep receiving the emails on the promised new UI in the 4.x release, but I still do not have that one. At least the dreaded DTE update is behind me. Hopefully everyone else is fairing better than I am.

EDIT: On another note, during the same period waiting for update, I received a message in the app talking about "app update" removing Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch due to lack of use...Well...I would have used it if it had ever worked...
Update from Last week as I received the 4.2.1 update, sadly, still the same UI with no Camera button. But, hey, i did get the email promising me youtube streaming that is not there either.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Have you received any update from the dealer?

I have had very similar issues with my truck. The DTE install failed 30+ times, then one day, it just stopped trying. Still have the alert in my app from January telling me it is scheduled, I have reset the truck, deleted the app and still shows pending the update in the app and website.

Dropped it off a week ago with Ford, they tell me it does not need an update. Not sure how that is possible as I am still on 3.5.4. Picked up the truck today after they told me they have done everything they can. Set the truck back up,reinstalled the app, still shows the message.

Dealer told me I needed to connect with Support to get them to fix the app notification.

when I dropped the truck off in November with the same Ford Pass Smart Hitch & Smart Scales report “take for service” you have, I was basically asked why I needed those in the app.

Looks like I am about to sell this truck. Have never bought a $100k vehicle with such poor customer service.

I have heard people slam Tesla, but have owned a few and have never had an issue when taking them in for service. They know why you are taking it in, if they have never taken longer than a day to return it, if the part they need to fix it is not received yet, they communicate and tell you when it is received. They come out to your location for small fixes. I dont want to buy the hideous Cyber Truck, but when you need software to operate the vehicle, I guess it is better to work with a tech company.
You don’t need software to operate the Lightning….. or should I say, you don’t need this update to operate the Lightning. The DTE update is garbage, and while the UI is nicer, you still have everything available on your old software.

As far as I can tell there’s only been one update that affected driveability of the Lightning and that’s when they adjusted Regen.

Sponsored

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You don’t need software to operate the Lightning….. or should I say, you don’t need this update to operate the Lightning. The DTE update is garbage, and while the UI is nicer, you still have everything available on your old software.

As far as I can tell there’s only been one update that affected driveability of the Lightning and that’s when they adjusted Regen.
100% on the UI software to drive. it is really more on the promises made and not kept and the complete inability for the dealer to actually service the Lightning.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
100% on the UI software to drive. it is really more on the promises made and not kept and the complete inability for the dealer to actually service the Lightning.
I agree with that, but if you have another dealer near by I suggest you take it there.
Sponsored