• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electrify America Exec Addresses Need for Stations to Accommodate EVs with Trailers

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The sales and marketing director for EA was on an Inside EVs podcast and there was a question about EV trailering that is relevant to the F150L. I've noticed that several stations that were previously trailer compatible have recently added signage that blocks vehicles from pulling through so I'm not sure they're taking this issue seriously.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I've noticed that several stations that were previously trailer compatible
I'm guessing those were less "trailer compatible" and more there was free space ahead of them that are regular parking spots.

I would guess electrify America does not "own" those extra parking spots so someone complained about chargers taking up those spaces, hence the poles.

If you listen to the podcast, the electrify America rep says they are coming. It's just that it hasn't been a priority due to trucks and towing been a rare item and the fact that land is expensive and pull through a require a lot more dedicated space, so it would not be a profitable endeavor.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
I'm guessing those were less "trailer compatible" and more there was free space ahead of them that are regular parking spots.
The extra space in front of the charger is what makes them compatible with trailers. It doesn't matter if EA owns the spot--these were de facto trailer-compatible locations that are usually empty anyway because the EA chargers in my area are mostly in a far corner of a giant Walmart or Target parking lot.

The poles were added years after the station was installed in some cases, which makes it more annoying.

Last edited:

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The extra space in front of the charger is what makes them compatible with trailers. It doesn't matter if EA owns the spot--these were de facto trailer-compatible locations that are usually empty anyway because the EA chargers in my area are mostly in a far corner of a giant Walmart or Target parking lot.

The poles were added years after the station was installed in some cases, which makes it more annoying.
May be a good reason to keep a cordless reciprocating saw in the Frunk :) Comment is mostly sarcastic, but from my viewpoint a very high percentage of the charging stations being put in are not taking into account those that will be hauling trailers.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
May be a good reason to keep a cordless reciprocating saw in the Frunk :) Comment is mostly sarcastic, but from my viewpoint a very high percentage of the charging stations being put in are not taking into account those that will be hauling trailers.
I'm going to have to get used to dropping the trailer for charging stops for the next few years, unfortunately.

Hopefully truck stops will make their charging stations more trailer friendly. Love's and Bucc-ee's are starting to roll out chargers but I don't think they're pull-through compatible.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Many charging locations aren't in a location in the parking lot that would be conducive to pull-through regardless. A truck with a 30' trailer couldn't make the turn into the location even if they could fit, and if they made the turn they'd be sticking out blocking a lane.

I'm not an electrician, but I suspect that running a line from the EA location to a spot where pull-through could occur would be very expensive, and would require more battery storage.

Given that Walmart is a destination for some people that tow (i.e. staying the parking lot), perhaps they'll work with EA at some locations to setup a charging lane in a remote section of the lot. Otherwise, as the EA states, interstate rest areas remain the more likely location of these installations.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm going to have to get used to dropping the trailer for charging stops for the next few years, unfortunately.

Hopefully truck stops will make their charging stations more trailer friendly. Love's and Bucc-ee's are starting to roll out chargers but I don't think they're pull-through compatible.
I cannot imagine dropping the trailer, charging, then reconnecting. Stops are already 10 minutes off the highway, 10 minutes back on, and now you're going to add in dropping the trailer and reconnecting? Let's call that 10 more minutes. 30 minutes plus 40 to recharge, every 2 hours of driving?

It's pretty amazing that anyone in the business would install new charging stations without taking into account the need for pull through. Saw our first Buc-ee's last fall. 255 pumps. Insane.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Exec Addresses Need for Stations to Accommodate EVs with Trailers Buc-ee's

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It doesn't matter if EA owns the spot--these were de facto trailer-compatible locations that are usually empty anyway because the EA chargers in my area are mostly in a far corner of a giant Walmart or Target parking lot.
The poles and signs are to protect the EV charging spots. You'd need to talk to the Walmart or Target. Issue for them is less parking for customers and problems with no protection for the EV charging spots. If no sign and pole, the EV parking spots will get blocked. If they block the spots for pull through, the lose customer parking for a currently very low to non-existent EV trailer vehicle.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
The poles and signs are to protect the EV charging spots. You'd need to talk to the Walmart or Target.
The poles are erected by EA and many of them even have EA branding. Walmart doesn't really care if the chargers are ICE'd.

They aren't losing parking spaces because the charging stations are generally located far away from entrances and are rarely used by customers anyway.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
this same 'issue' comes up quite often in the RVing world, as some folks are 'scared' to ever park overnight in a Walmart parking lot, whether there is signage or not - although Walmart corporate has said itself that they don't care if you do.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The poles are erected by EA and many of them even have EA branding. Walmart doesn't really care if the chargers are ICE'd.
Those are Walmart parking spots. The poles have no EA marks on them, the basic red and white parking signs one sees in all parking lots. I'm sure EA does put them in to protect the spots it has been given by the lot owner.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
Those are Walmart parking spots. The poles have no EA marks on them, the basic red and white parking signs one sees in all parking lots. I'm sure EA does put them in to protect the spots it has been given by the lot owner.
Some of them have EA branding including this Milwaukee station that didn't have signposts when I passed through last summer. This site is super far from the entrance and I haven't seen any ICE vehicles nearby in the times I've been there.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Exec Addresses Need for Stations to Accommodate EVs with Trailers 1645140928602

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
that layout design looks interesting, at first, although I soon notice that they have 'blocked' the ability to PULL THRU by putting signage between each set of spaces.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Keep in mind that many campers, and boats, are too long to fit in 2 spaces.

Also, Walmart may not be the owner of the parking lot.

Lastly, even in the above picture, someone towing a 30 foot trailer can't swing a turn that tight from the opposing lane.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Some of them have EA branding including this Milwaukee station that didn't have signposts when I passed through last summer. This site is super far from the entrance and I haven't seen any ICE vehicles nearby in the times I've been there.
Several EA stations look like that but I don't think the two parking places would accomodate a truck and trailer. Using it at off times for shopping might assauge the parking security guy.

Sponsored