• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EVgo Time of Use (TOU) - The Future of DC Fast Charging Pricing?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I received an email this morning from EVgo announcing this new pricing model away from their current time-based modle here in Oregon….and, noticed there are a few other states included On their web page.

The Time of Use component was the interesting component….I wonder how long before EA and others will follow???

https://www.evgo.com/pricing/tou/?
Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Interesting approach that the Feds may like to demand for their new chargers. I don't see a cost for someone who is connected, but no longer charging?

OP
OP
Firestop

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Interesting approach that the Feds may like to demand for their new chargers. I don't see a cost for someone who is connected, but no longer charging?
Yeah, here they we’re charging by the minute connected….for the new TOU Plan, I too didn’t see any “idle” fee for staying hooked-up and parked not charging🤷🏻‍♂️

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Our EVGo rates in CA are based on TOU.

I just charged mine at a 350kW charger (at 170kWh) EVGo and was charged $0.51/kWh.

Love EVGo's AutoCharge+ for true plug and charge!

Ford F-150 Lightning EVgo Time of Use (TOU) -  The Future of DC Fast Charging Pricing? IMG_0105.JPG

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
TOU makes economic sense. In Michigan the utility companies were directed to move everyone to TOU rates. DTE, the energy company for Southeast Michigan - where the majority of the state's population resides - is transitioning to 100% TOU in March.

It seems inevitable that EV charging companies will go to TOU rates. As EVs become more ubiquitous they will put a strain on the electricity grid that wasn't there before. Grid capacity can grow but one solution has to be economic based pricing.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Our EVGo rates in CA are based on TOU.

I just charged mine at a 350kW charger (at 170kWh) EVGo and was charged $0.51/kWh.

Love EVGo's AutoCharge+ for true plug and charge!
Just to point out, which you know - you paid a premium of 64.5% over EA for the convenience of Plug and Charge (and perhaps charger location). Some would never do that, just like passing by the Shell station to the off-the-highway Costco to save 20 cents a gallon.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Just to point out, which you know - you paid a premium of 64.5% over EA for the convenience of Plug and Charge (and perhaps charger location). Some would never do that, just like passing by the Shell station to the off-the-highway Costco to save 20 cents a gallon.
Yes very aware.

When I went to EA nearby, half the chargers were off line and the 2 that were online had a line of people waiting.

Not worth my time to wait as I was on my lunch hour.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Yes very aware.

When I went to EA nearby, half the chargers were off line and the 2 that were online had a line of people waiting.

Not worth my time to wait as I was on my lunch hour.
Convenience fees to hopefully fund infrastructure

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOU makes economic sense. In Michigan the utility companies were directed to move everyone to TOU rates. DTE, the energy company for Southeast Michigan - where the majority of the state's population resides - is transitioning to 100% TOU in March.

It seems inevitable that EV charging companies will go to TOU rates. As EVs become more ubiquitous they will put a strain on the electricity grid that wasn't there before. Grid capacity can grow but one solution has to be economic based pricing.
But, just to be clear, the transition to TOU is 20 out of 24 hours at off-peak, plus all weekends. Peak is only 4 hours a day (3 - 7PM), and a 8.4 - 35.8% increase, depending on season.

We are already on a TOU plan with DTE. Off-peak is 7PM - 11AM 5 days a week, and on weekends. Peak is 11AM - 7PM 5 days a week. We found that over 70% of our usage is off-peak, sometimes 80%. And our peak will be lower for 6 months of the year also.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Convenience fees to hopefully fund infrastructure
On the plus side to paying $0.51/kWh is that the EVGo charger put out 170kWh rate thru their 350kW tower which had a Tesla charge plug too!

Ford F-150 Lightning EVgo Time of Use (TOU) -  The Future of DC Fast Charging Pricing? IMG_0108.JPG

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
But, just to be clear, the transition to TOU is 20 out of 24 hours at off-peak, plus all weekends. Peak is only 4 hours a day (3 - 7PM), and a 8.4 - 35.8% increase, depending on season.

We are already on a TOU plan with DTE. Off-peak is 7PM - 11AM 5 days a week, and on weekends. Peak is 11AM - 7PM 5 days a week. We found that over 70% of our usage is off-peak, sometimes 80%. And our peak will be lower for 6 months of the year also.
I read somewhere that off-peak is when DTE has to fire up it's expensive gas generators.

I'm currently on the legacy plan plus an additional EV only TOU plan with a separate meter. The kicker is when we go to the TOU main plan the off-peak time for the house will be four hours longer than the EV plan. Hopefully EV hours are expanded because the EV rate is only marginally better than the regular rate.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I read somewhere that off-peak is when DTE has to fire up it's expensive gas generators.

I'm currently on the legacy plan plus an additional EV only TOU plan with a separate meter. The kicker is when we go to the TOU main plan the off-peak time for the house will be four hours longer than the EV plan. Hopefully EV hours are expanded because the EV rate is only marginally better than the regular rate.
Yes, on the gas generators.

We didn't go to a separate meter because the monthly charge for the meter defeated the advantage of it (not to mention the hookup costs). Our TOU is for everything, and the off-peak is 16 hours a day M-F. Besides using the oven for dinner, and the AC, we moved discretionary usage to off-peak (laundry, dishwasher, car charging). I looked into this when we ordered our Fusion PHEV, and determined it made sense BEFORE we got the car, so we switched right away.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Yes, on the gas generators.

We didn't go to a separate meter because the monthly charge for the meter defeated the advantage of it (not to mention the hookup costs). Our TOU is for everything, and the off-peak is 16 hours a day M-F. Besides using the oven for dinner, and the AC, we moved discretionary usage to off-peak (laundry, dishwasher, car charging). I looked into this when we ordered our Fusion PHEV, and determined it made sense BEFORE we got the car, so we switched right away.
Yeah, the previous owner installed the wiring for the charger years ago and using the second meter still makes the most sense for us because new wiring would be a nightmare.
Sponsored