• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extension cord for Ford Mobile Power Cord

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Hey all, brand new here. I'm thinking about ordering an F150L, but here's my issue: I need to park the truck outside my garage, but charge it from a NEMA 14-50 plug that I have in my garage that I currently use to charge a Mach-E. But the distance from garage plug to where I'd park the F150L in my driveway is too far for the standard 20' mobile charging cord that comes with the truck.

Is an extension cord safe? If so, any recommendations? I was looking at this one and this one.

Or is this a terrible idea? I'm totally ignorant to this stuff.

Thanks!
There have been times where I have been camping and it's very cold outside, I had the trickle charger attached to an extension cord and had absolutely no issues. It is definitely not a long-term solution and you need a plug on the outside, but there is redundancy both in the charger and the truck to prevent any issues.
Sponsored

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Hey all, brand new here. I'm thinking about ordering an F150L, but here's my issue: I need to park the truck outside my garage, but charge it from a NEMA 14-50 plug that I have in my garage that I currently use to charge a Mach-E. But the distance from garage plug to where I'd park the F150L in my driveway is too far for the standard 20' mobile charging cord that comes with the truck.

Is an extension cord safe? If so, any recommendations? I was looking at this one and this one.

Thanks!
[

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military

Thanks!
Use #8 wire don't go over 50'. Most RV stores sell 14-50 extension cords. I am assuming you are using the Ford 30 portable charger, I would not charge at 48 amps with a 50 amp breaker used by after market chargers. Your internal charger is rated at 11,500 watts. VĂ—A=W You can also hardwire the extention to the receptical rather then use a plug.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security

Thanks!
Use of any kind of extension cord, either between the charger and the wall plug or between the charger and the vehicle, is prohibited by the electrical code. I would (and have) used an extension on a temporary/emergency basis, but I wouldn't plan to use one for daily charging.

Quite honestly, get an electrician to come in and hard-wire a charger to the outside of the garage near where you park. The cost of the hard-wired charger aside (and you can probably get one at a nice discount from your electric utility), getting a charger hard-wired is the same or less as putting in another plug.

Sponsored

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe

buckbabes

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E, Mustang
Occupation
IT

Thanks!

Instead of using an extension cord you can use this J1772 extension. It is waterproof, maintains 32 amps of current with no loss, and can easily be removed and placed in the frunk.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rexing...-cable-32a-17ft-black/6543370.p?skuId=6543370

Ford F-150 Lightning Extension cord for Ford Mobile Power Cord PXL_20240202_223350146

OP
OP

RajMahal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
hey everyone, i just wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to reply with your thoughts and suggestions. they've been enormously helpful.

it didn't even occur to me that there was an extension charging cord itself vs a plug. clearly i'm braindead. but i think i'm likely to go with that option since it'd also be useful on the road.

but if / when i decide to keep this truck long-term, i'll certainly have my electrician install an outdoor charger.

i'll post any relevant updates once i receive the truck and try out this charging setup. in the meantime, thanks again to all of you!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
That’s what I’ve been doing to charge both my MME and Lightning. Ford portable charger with a 20’ J1772 extension that I just moved between them depending on which one I drove last. One of these days I’ll get around to having an electrician install that pro charger that’s been sitting in the garage in the box since I got it. I think it’s something to do with inertia…..

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That’s what I’ve been doing to charge both my MME and Lightning. Ford portable charger with a 20’ J1772 extension that I just moved between them depending on which one I drove last. One of these days I’ll get around to having an electrician install that pro charger that’s been sitting in the garage in the box since I got it. I think it’s something to do with inertia…..
I’d get the FCSP installed before the warranty runs out. Just in case…

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
At home I now use a 48 amp Emporia running at 40 amp on my 240 plug. I recommend the $400 Emporia.
Thanks for choosing the Emporia EV Charger. It can be plugged into a NEMA 14-50, which limits the max charge rate to 40A with a breaker that's rated for at least 20% higher. The J1772 or NACS cable that goes to the vehicle is 24'.

If anyone has any questions we're always happy to help.
Sponsored