• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extension cord for Ford Mobile Power Cord

RajMahal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Hey all, brand new here. I'm thinking about ordering an F150L, but here's my issue: I need to park the truck outside my garage, but charge it from a NEMA 14-50 plug that I have in my garage that I currently use to charge a Mach-E. But the distance from garage plug to where I'd park the F150L in my driveway is too far for the standard 20' mobile charging cord that comes with the truck.

Is an extension cord safe? If so, any recommendations? I was looking at this one and this one.

Or is this a terrible idea? I'm totally ignorant to this stuff.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Is that existing plug in the garage on a GFCI breaker? If it isn't using an extension cord that will move your charger plug outside the garage isn't a good idea, will be dangerous, and would be against code. It would be much better to have a professional electrician install a outside charger for your Lightning.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Hey all, brand new here. I'm thinking about ordering an F150L, but here's my issue: I need to park the truck outside my garage, but charge it from a NEMA 14-50 plug that I have in my garage that I currently use to charge a Mach-E. But the distance from garage plug to where I'd park the F150L in my driveway is too far for the standard 20' mobile charging cord that comes with the truck.

Is an extension cord safe? If so, any recommendations? I was looking at this one and this one.

Thanks!
Get the first one if you need it. It appears to be UL certified.

OP
OP

RajMahal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Is that existing plug in the garage on a GFCI breaker? If it isn't using an extension cord that will move your charger plug outside the garage isn't a good idea, will be dangerous, and would be against code. It would be much better to have a professional electrician install a outside charger for your Lightning.
i think so? there was an existing plug in the garage and i had my electrician convert it to a NEMA 14-50. he ran new wiring from my breaker in the basement up to my garage. but i'll ask him either way just to be safe.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
If the plug is 240 volt GFCI than your next worry is to make sure your outside end connection between the extension cord and the outside charger is completely weather tight if you want it to continue charging your truck in wet weather.

Again, it would be better to have a exterior plug (or a charger) hard-wired by your electrician. With two EV's you may want two chargers anyway, even if you only use one at a time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RajMahal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
If the plug is 240 volt GFCI than your next worry is to make sure your outside end connection between the extension cord and the outside charger is completely weather tight if you want it to continue charging your truck in wet weather.

Again, it would be better to have a exterior plug (or a charger) hard-wired by your electrician. With two EV's you may want two chargers anyway, even if you only use one at a time.
my plan was just to run the extension cord from the garage outlet to the Ford Mobile Power Cord; then run that cord underneath my garage door (protected by a cable guard) directly to the truck itself.

is the Mobile Power Cord not usable in rain? would this setup not work? are there chargers that are weatherproof?

also to be clear, i'd be getting rid of the MME and getting the F150L. and i don't know how long i'd have the truck so that's why i don't want to invest in a long-term / permanent outdoor solution. (weird work situation)

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Your plan is fine.

I had the 240 plug installed near the garage door, so the Ford mobile charger could reach the truck if it is inside or outside with the cord under the door like your thinking. It worked fine. I got a better charger with a 20ft discharge chord that lives on the wall in the same spot.

Many folks have had problems with the Ford mobile charger. I got along OK but it does have issues. I wish I hadn't paid $500 for it. I now carry it and use it at my kid's house while traveling. At home I now use a 48 amp Emporia running at 40 amp on my 240 plug. I recommend the $400 Emporia.

All chargers claim they are all fully weather tight, it is just the extension cord connection I was worried about.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
my plan was just to run the extension cord from the garage outlet to the Ford Mobile Power Cord; then run that cord underneath my garage door (protected by a cable guard) directly to the truck itself.

is the Mobile Power Cord not usable in rain? would this setup not work? are there chargers that are weatherproof?

also to be clear, i'd be getting rid of the MME and getting the F150L. and i don't know how long i'd have the truck so that's why i don't want to invest in a long-term / permanent outdoor solution. (weird work situation)
Like others have said, your plan is fine. I have been charging a Tesla for 2.5 years and now my lightning for 7 months on similar setup - extension to charger, charger cable under garage door - and have had no problems, even when it was 106 this summer. I check temps on various places with an IR therm every once in a while and nothing crazy going on. I use telsa's mobile charger, since it came with the telsa and just got an adapter when I got the Lightning, so I can't comment on the ford charger, but have heard it isn't great, but if you've been using it fine...

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
My only concern with your plan is protecting the cord where it runs under the door. If the door is putting a lot of pressure on the cord you can adjust the door down stop up slightly and/or run the cord next to a similar sized piece of wood to remove pressure from the door.

I run my FCSP cable under my garage door so I installed a protector made by UNDOR (probably overkill), raised and adjusted the down stop of my garage door, and replaced the bottom seal with a larger one. This is a permanent solution, you can probably get the same results with less effort.

Edit: the FCSP cable is significantly larger than a 50 amp extension cord. I might be overthinking it.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

Thanks!
They make extensions for the charging cord. Maybe do that instead of an extension for the 14-50 plug.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Camping World and other stores, even Walmart, have 50amp 240v Extension cords, all day long, for the same reasons: length to reach your outlet. I use one everyday... never a problem.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Wesley

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford raptor
Occupation
Retired
We have been charging our Lightning for over a year with an extension cord with no problems except for the Ford mobile charger. Replaced it and keep it in the Frunk to use when we travel.

MacLightning

First Name
Fion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
They make extensions for the charging cord. Maybe do that instead of an extension for the 14-50 plug.
I handle this with this cable. Let's me extend my reach in cases of being ICE'd out of an L2 charger when out and about, where a 14-50 ext cord would not.

Kit2874

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning

Thanks!
Yes you will be fine, hell I use a 10 Gage cord when I hook up to a 110 outlet for my mobile charger
Sponsored