• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EXTRA BATTERIES FOR THE FRUNK?

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN FORD IS COMING OUT WITH THE THREE EXTRA BATTERY PACKS THAT WILL BE PLACED IN THE FRUNK FOR LONGER MILEAGE ? I RECENTLY SAW THAT FORD HAS A PATENT ON THIS !
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
It's not as simple as loading them into the frunk.

Where are the high-voltage connectors to plug them in line with the main pack?

What PPE do you need to actually connect them?

What about updating the BMS to account for the extra modules?

Now let's talk about the mismatch of voltages and service life of the added modules.

And finally, why are you yelling about this?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Why is everybody yelling? It's too early for that.

OP
OP
ALAN BORER

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
Almost certainly never. Ford has a lot of patents, many if not most of which never see light of day. It would have to be something engineered into any vehicle it is implemented in and it hasn't been on the Lightning.

Edit: typo
Thanks for the reply , I thought it would be a good thing !

OP
OP
ALAN BORER

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
It's not as simple as loading them into the frunk.

Where are the high-voltage connectors to plug them in line with the main pack?

What PPE do you need to actually connect them?

What about updating the BMS to account for the extra modules?

Now let's talk about the mismatch of voltages and service life of the added modules.

And finally, why are you yelling about this?
Thanks

Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
:unsure:Let's either
1. Secure shallow bedload batteries
2. Lift body, add batteries under.
3. DCFC @ every windmill

Imagine a crash scenario where you would want a dense material behind or in front of you now going the speed you were, at you.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
:unsure:Let's either
1. Secure shallow bedload batteries
2. Lift body, add batteries under.
3. DCFC @ every windmill

Imagine a crash scenario where you would want a dense material behind or in front of you now going the speed you were, at you.
like an engine?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN FORD IS COMING OUT WITH THE THREE EXTRA BATTERY PACKS THAT WILL BE PLACED IN THE FRUNK FOR LONGER MILEAGE ? I RECENTLY SAW THAT FORD HAS A PATENT ON THIS !
As a lot of people said, there's no chance for such a system using the Frunk, but unlike a car, one of the big advantages of an EV pickup is the unique ability for us to put just about any power system in the pickup bed.

So it's entirely possible for somebody to charge their trucks from a traditional gas powered RV/Home generator or portable power backup battery.

So you can plug the travel charger directly into one of those and you can head off into the wilderness knowing you can charge anywhere.

For what it's worth, I considered that option because I like to go camping in remote areas, but I decided against it after seeing a YouTube video from TFLTruck where he drove to Alaska and pointed out that although there are very few charging stations in remote areas, there are often campgrounds... and a lot of those have 220v outlets for RVs. So, he camped out and plugged in each night.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As a lot of people said, there's no chance for such a system using the Frunk, but unlike a car, one of the big advantages of an EV pickup is the unique ability for us to put just about any power system in the pickup bed.

So it's entirely possible for somebody to charge their trucks from a traditional gas powered RV/Home generator or portable power backup battery.

So you can plug the travel charger directly into one of those and you can head off into the wilderness knowing you can charge anywhere.

For what it's worth, I considered that option because I like to go camping in remote areas, but I decided against it after seeing a YouTube video from TFLTruck where he drove to Alaska and pointed out that although there are very few charging stations in remote areas, there are often campgrounds... and a lot of those have 220v outlets for RVs. So, he camped out and plugged in each night.
I believe you cannot charge while driving.

Some generators won't charge an EV. Yes, campgrounds that have a 14-50 outlet can work. Or, you can rig a setup where, with the proper charger that has the ability to lower the amps, can charge off a more common 30 amp circuit.

Remember that the truck's ER battery is 131kW. If you show up somewhere with say 10%, and want to charge it up, that's 118kW in the truck, or 139 from a generator / outlet. If you use the travel charger at 30amps, that's about 20 hours of a generator droning on and on to charge back up. But, in a campground with a 14-50 50amp circuit, no droning noise.
Sponsored