• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
128/.65=197

197/320=61.6% or 38.4% decrease in range due to towing.
[/QUOTE]

Sandy Munro was talking about this and said that the moment you start towing you knock a third off of your range. This is a big heavy non-aerodynamic box, so this sounds like it is in the right ballpark.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Right and wrong. One of the first Lightning deliveries in Florida will almost never be driven without towing a 9,100 trailer. And it will pull away from the dealer on its first drive pulling that trailer. That's my deal with the dealer. They will fully charge the truck prior to delivery. I will tow my boat to the delivery with the current '21 KR PB. They get my trade ('21 PB at original MSRP back to them with 8,000 miles) IF the Lightning goes to 50% charge at 60 miles distance towing. If not, I keep both trucks.
If everytime I was to post I was required to include the percentage that YOU represent in F150 usage and expectations....... Well, I would simply resign to lurking only. ???

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Unfortunately, in your attempt to be cleaver and cover for your little buddy you just proved my point that we don't know the context of the photo he is clinging to.

Better luck next time.
Hey buddy, I'm on your side. Not sure why anyone is getting worked up about data from a single time point that is without key contextual information.

If they are navigating a route using the onboard system, the range would be calculated based on topography of the rest of the route. Even if the truck is under power when the photo was taken, that doesn't mean that the rest of route isn't at a downward incline.

It would be crazy to expect less than 50% range reduction with all but the smallest trailers. The Out of Spec and TFL Rivian tests support this, albeit with variables that may be hard to generalize.

If you are worried about range with your trailer and have an order for MY22, I'd say that that there is zero risk in accepting delivery. If it doesn't work for your scenario, you unload it at the dealer for at least what you paid for it and the dealer bends over backwards to find you the truck you want....

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
When I take my Tesla Model S through the mountains, the regen capability exceeds even the steepest slope on the mountain drives we've taken and it feels odd but you have to maintain pressure on the accelerator or you slow down on the downhill. I sure hope the F-150 without trailer can accomplish the same, because it's a beautiful thing to watch the range climb up when you know everyone else is turning motion to heat with their brakes (and/or burning fuel via engine braking).

I'm unsure whether another 5 tons in a trailer pushing the truck down a mountain will be able to manage full regen, though.

Another aspect in which I'm interested is the control aspect of downhill in very bad rain/snow. In Tesla cars, I've had to set my regen to "low" in some particularly bad slushy weather, as letting off the accelerator completely can result in regen locking the wheels up. The computers have gotten better at preventing this, but it's another reason regen gets limited in bad weather.
if you watch TFLTruck’s video of the Rivian doing the Ike Gauntlet you’ll see what i mean. They get almost no regen on the downhill section. I think they’re towing 8,000 pounds. I don’t know if it was an issue with the truck or the trailering setup but it definitely didn’t work like it should.

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
You can see that the battery meter is not full, it is about 60-70% when the range is reading at 120 miles.
IMO that's actually really good.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
If you are worried about range with your trailer and have an order for MY22, I'd say that that there is zero risk in accepting delivery. If it doesn't work for your scenario, you unload it at the dealer for at least what you paid for it and the dealer bends over backwards to find you the truck you want....
For me, only a risk of running out of juice on a July 2022 multi-day trip away from interstate charging network that depends on campground level 2 recharges overnight (and some semi-rural low-kW DCFCing options) :)

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
For me, only a risk of running out of juice on a July 2022 multi-day trip away from interstate charging network that depends on campground level 2 recharges overnight (and some semi-rural low-kW DCFCing options) :)
This risk is quickly decreasing.

To be sure, it is non-zero.

But I can say that when I started driving an EV in 2017, chargers were very hard to come by. Now, they are sprouting up so quickly you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

One of the things companies are starting to realize is that EV's need chargers. And with chargers, you remain parked at an area for a bit. So... if you are a place like Starbucks, it makes sense to install chargers to increase the amount of sales you get.

There are still a lot of dead areas (particularly in the North-Central areas, and wilds of New Mexico) but that won't be for much longer methinks.

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
The numbers shown look good to me. Glad to see they are using full sized enclosed trailers to simulate the aero load - one looked like a 20'. My toughest towing job for this truck will be getting my 24' 8-9k enclosed to the local tracks (30mi and 85mi away). Looks like it may even handle the 85mi distance.

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Understood.

It still locks up the wheels in bad weather and is still amazingly effective at slowing down the vehicle on 6-8% downhill grades.
If the regen is spread over both axles/motors then it should be a non issue. Same thing happens in tow haul mode with exhaust brake in the HD diesel trucks. Use with caution in 2wd on slick surfaces.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
If the regen is spread over both axles/motors then it should be a non issue. Same thing happens in tow haul mode with exhaust brake in the HD diesel trucks. Use with caution in 2wd on slick surfaces.
I was "experimenting" with our Volvo xc40 EV in the snow earlier this winter. The wheels will lock up briefly in slippery conditions with one pedal driving selected. However, it will operate ABS in one pedal mode so they don't stay locked up very long.
As for TFL and the Rivian going down the back side of the mountain it could be a Regen problem (exceeding the truck's capacity). It could also have been trailer brakes working harder than the truck brakes.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The downhill starts at 8:30. They gain 2% SOC on the downhill but when they turn around and take the same route up they lose 16%. The regen should be much closer to 16% on the downhill if the truck was recovering all of the available potential energy associated with the elevation.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Lets see.

98 degrees.
128 miles at ~70% charge
Motors clearly on power.

Yea its going downhill.
I am not so sure on the downhill part. This is the first I have seen of the instruments, but the motor Indicators appear to be in a coast - not power, but not charge. I would expect charging on a downhill especially with the trailer weight pushing as well.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
As for TFL and the Rivian going down the back side of the mountain it could be a Regen problem (exceeding the truck's capacity). It could also have been trailer brakes working harder than the truck brakes.
There is also aero drag and loss of efficiency in moving the energy from the motor to the battery pack. I don't want to watch the TFL video again, but I think they said they didn't need to use the brake pedal on the descent. The brake lights kicked in periodically anyway but that also happens when some EVs hit a regen deceleration threshold even without friction braking. I don't think anyone has shown whether the trailer brakes engage in that scenario.
Sponsored