• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Ford is testing a new off-road-focused mule for the F-150 Lightning, as evidenced by this modified EV truck with upgrades suggestive of Ford’s Tremor or Timberline trail-ready trims.

More Clearance
The F-150 Lightning mule caught looks raised up for a taller ride-height. Front approach angles are enhanced by the removal of the front bumper’s low-hanging bits, and a front skid plate has been added to its chin.

New Tremor-spec Rubber
This lifted Lightning is equipped with 33-inch General Grabber A/T tires, sized at 275/70R18—the same rubber used on the F-150 Tremor. The 18-inch wheels look to lifted from Ford’s Expedition Timberline—it’s off-road-focused trim for its big SUV. There’s no tire spec like this available on the currrent F-150 Lightning.

Revised Side Steps and Underbody
Beyond the raised stance, trail-ready tires, and revised front bumper, this truck goes even further. The Lightning’s side steps have been removed for improved off-road clearance. We can see some structural elements tucked further under the body, placed to keep the truck from bottoming out on the battery. It appears that there is further skid plate protection on the underside, but the exact design is inconclusive on these shots, taken of the truck driving in heavy traffic. We can see a skit plate over the rear EV motor, but that is nothing new on the F-150 Lightning.

On its initial launch, the F-150 Lightning has focused on range efficiency and basic work functions, leaving anything specifically tailored toward off-roading off the table. It now appears that Ford is in the early stages of adding an off-road-focused variant of its EV truck. New competition from Ford’s crosstown rival is about to hit the market in the form of the Chevy Silverado EV. A more rugged Trail Boss variant has been teased and promised for the Silverado EV, which may explain the impetus for the Tremor-esque upgrades seen on this new F-150 Lightning mule. We’ll be on the lookout for more evidence of just what modifications Ford is making to the Lighting, as we search for more prototype evidence on- and off-road.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-1

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-2

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-3

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-4

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-5

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-6

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-7

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-8

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-9

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-10
Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Ford is testing a new off-road-focused mule for the F-150 Lightning, as evidenced by this modified EV truck with upgrades suggestive of Ford’s Tremor or Timberline trail-ready trims.

More Clearance
The F-150 Lightning mule caught looks raised up for a taller ride-height. Front approach angles are enhanced by the removal of the front bumper’s low-hanging bits, and a front skid plate has been added to its chin.

New Tremor-spec Rubber
This lifted Lightning is equipped with 33-inch General Grabber A/T tires, sized at 275/70R18—the same rubber used on the F-150 Tremor. The 18-inch wheels look to lifted from Ford’s Expedition Timberline—it’s off-road-focused trim for its big SUV. There’s no tire spec like this available on the currrent F-150 Lightning.

Revised Side Steps and Underbody
Beyond the raised stance, trail-ready tires, and revised front bumper, this truck goes even further. The Lightning’s side steps have been removed for improved off-road clearance. We can see some structural elements tucked further under the body, placed to keep the truck from bottoming out on the battery. It appears that there is further skid plate protection on the underside, but the exact design is inconclusive on these shots, taken of the truck driving in heavy traffic. We can see a skit plate over the rear EV motor, but that is nothing new on the F-150 Lightning.

On its initial launch, the F-150 Lightning has focused on range efficiency and basic work functions, leaving anything specifically tailored toward off-roading off the table. It now appears that Ford is in the early stages of adding an off-road-focused variant of its EV truck. New competition from Ford’s crosstown rival is about to hit the market in the form of the Chevy Silverado EV. A more rugged Trail Boss variant has been teased and promised for the Silverado EV, which may explain the impetus for the Tremor-esque upgrades seen on this new F-150 Lightning mule. We’ll be on the lookout for more evidence of just what modifications Ford is making to the Lighting, as we search for more prototype evidence on- and off-road.

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-1.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-2.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-3.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-4.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-5.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-6.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-7.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-8.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-9.jpg

f150-lightning-offroad-mule-testing-10.jpg
I'd like to see if the front skid plate could be retrofitted on my truck. I have a piece of some black fiber material that got ripped when I was driving on the beach- it may have hit a stray piece of firewood. So far the beach driving has worked well but I sometimes have a lot of sand under my truck on the days when the sand is loose and their are deep ruts from people who don't air down or drive properly on sand.
Thanks for posting the photos.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
How do we know this is a Ford test vehicle and not an aftermarket company or someone putting these parts on them selves?

I do like the stance of this truck.
Manufacturer plates are typically the dead giveaway. I still wouldn’t say it’s a guarantee to come to market but this is strong evidence.

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Anxiously awaiting what the specs are with exact clearance and mileage differences from stock ER. Looks great!

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
What? It looks brown to me. Now i am worried.
Stone Gray looks beige/tan in person. Volvo has a color pebble gray. Again not gray, but a very sophisticated beige/gold/tan.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Just me or is the front light bar off kilter on the right side? Is it that hard to get it aligned on both sides??

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Wow. What a difference. I’ve got mine levels on 35s now. Looks like I’m about to tear off that lower valance and finally got rid of the “active Airdam fault” message once and for all. I’m thinking it will effect range tho 🧐
Sponsored