• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
The tailgate on this model is different than the standard lightning.
Wonder why they did that?
I think they decided to remove the tailgate light bar as this model will see more off-road time and abuse than a regular lightning truck. I suspect Ford doesn't want to replace damaged tailgate light bars caused by rough terrain and vibration.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing 1692161786410

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I think they decided to remove the tailgate light bar as this model will see more off-road time and abuse than a regular lightning truck. I suspect Ford doesn't want to replace damaged tailgate light bars caused by rough terrain and vibration.

1692161786410.png
An XLT never had a tailgate light bar.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER

1692161786410.png
They also removed the rattle-prone rear window. I don't know if the ICE Tremor is like that or not.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I'm expecting this thing to be more expensive than a platinum though.

Well I don't really know Ford's pricing but a couple years ago when the dealerships were slapping huge ADMs on their lot vehicles the Tremors were listed with $40K+ ADMs so I probably have a skewed idea of how they're priced compared to the other trims.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Where are you hearing that there will be an ER+ battery with 400 miles of range?
The land of make believe maybe?

Given the changes, my guess is this will have an EPA rated range (with ER pack) between 280 and 290 miles, but take a bigger hit than the current truck on the highway.

Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
There was a battery teardown due to the ongoing issue if a bad battery module. Vid here timestamped.

8 equally sized big module and 1 smaller module totaling 9. With the assumption that ford can package it better in newer lightnings and that the smaller module becomes full sized, they can probably pack a total of 12 modules and find a new spot for the seemingly controller"?" ecu above module 2. Each module would be 15.93KW. That'll be 191.2 KWH total vs 143.4kWH which is a 33% increase in capacity. 1.33*320miles=425.6 miles. So the numbers check out. My guess a mileage of 370-390 is more realistic if they reserve a portion of the battery pack like they do now and/or need a smaller pack (143.4 vs 131 available).

I remember them working on a Lighting R? I think that'd get the bigger battery pack and similar range as we get on the ERs now.

Last edited:

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
There was a battery teardown due to the ongoing issue if a bad battery module. Vid here timestamped.

8 equally sized big module and 1 smaller module totaling 9. With the assumption that ford can package it better in newer lightnings and that the smaller module becomes full sized, they can probably pack a total of 12 modules and find a new spot for the seemingly controller"?" ecu above module 2. Each module would be 15.93KW. That'll be 191.2 KWH total vs 143.4kWH which is a 33% increase in capacity. 1.33*320miles=425.6 miles. So the numbers check out. My guess a mileage of 370-390 is more realistic if they reserve a portion of the battery pack like they do now and/or need a smaller pack (143.4 vs 131 available).

I remember them working on a Lighting R? I think that'd get the bigger battery pack and similar range as we get on the ERs now.
Hmm interesting thoughts. Yeah while I definitely think it would be the smart move to increase the pack capacity for this tremor version, I'm also not gonna hold my breath on Ford actually increasing the pack size instead of just using the same basic frame and battery configuration with some slight suspension and underbody modifications. Retooling for even just a separate battery pack would cost them even more than they've already spent on Lightning production and they're only just now getting up to speed. But I mean, I'll be excited to be proven wrong!

Also if by "Lightning R" you mean the "Lightning Raptor", they canceled that project citing specifically that an off road truck couldn't be too heavy and that with the batteries that would be needed to give a Lightning Raptor decent range it would weigh far too much to be competent off road, bogging down in sand instead of rolling over. This is another reason why I find the Tremor trim a mysterious addition.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
I was more so referring to the scalloped edges of the tailgate.
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning (Tremor-Spec'd) Off-Road Mule Caught Testing IMG_1036

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
You'd think Ford would be spending the money to give Lighting more range rather than appearance packages. Silverado will be out soon and it kicks Lightings ass in the range department.
Hopefully Ford is working on better efficiency and isn't just slapping a giant battery in it like GM. The battery pack in the Silverado EV is supposed to be 3000 lbs. and 215 kWh. I'd rather drive my Lightning and charge a little more often than drive that massive battery pack around. How long is that going to take to charge at home?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I was more so referring to the scalloped edges of the tailgate.
IMG_1036.jpg
The Lightning has 2 different tailgates. The one in your picture is unique to the Lariat and Platinum models. The tailgate for the Pro and XLT models are carryover from the ICE truck.
Sponsored